main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Anyone listen to the Jim Rome show?

Discussion in 'Archive: Ann Arbor, MI' started by Grand_Admiral_J-tal, Jul 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grand_Admiral_J-tal

Grand_Admiral_J-tal Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 28, 2005
    Radio sports personality with a national daily call in show around noon, it's on AM station 1130 locally. I was listening about a day before ROTS came out and he spent an HOUR blasting all the fans who are waiting in line to see it, dressed up in costume, etc. It was pretty demeaning. Anyone else hear it?

2. Dunc T'racen

Dunc T'racen Jedi Grand Master star 3

Mar 11, 2000
    I don't do sports, but Free Press columnist Mitch Albom made some very derogatory comments about SW geeks around the time of TPM in his column and radio show. Because watching men in silly uniforms running after balls is such serious and important business. And sports fans never do crazy things.

Yes, sometimes life really is just like high school...

3. Idgie

Idgie Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 17, 2001
    Exactly.I used to get p-o'd about these sorts of things,but they don't really bother me so much anymore.It's usually the same stereotypical comments anyhow:SW geeks have no life,don't date,etc.Note to Mitch Albom:1)your book sucked and 2)if you're going to be a jerk,at least try to be more original.

What concerns me more is that some fans feel the need to be apologetic about their devotion to SW,i.e.,'I love SW,but that's okay because I have a job,and I'm nice to old people,etc.'I think that by doing that,we unwittingly perpetuate the stereotypes and give people the message that we think there's something 'wrong' with all of this,too.Stop apologizing for living your life.It's not your problem if someone else doesn't get it.

BTW,welcome to the boards and to the Ann Arbor FF to you both! :D

4. Qonas

Qonas Jedi Master star 4

Feb 12, 2003
    I listen to Jim Rome fairly regularly, and his comments didn't bother me as much as they would normally. Rome basically presents a knowledgable America jock persona, with his own personal eccentricities thrown in, for his shows. He bashes soccer frequently, and of course us nerds. It's to be expected. He's still a good listen, if you're into sports.

The same goes for Mitch Albom, although he's a writer and doesn't really have to present any persona. He's just a sports guy, leading to a natural dislike and non-understanding of all things nerd. Even with his little news mixup a bit ago, the guy is still a Detroit legend. Though Ernie Harwell and Bob Ufer far surpass Mitch in my estimation.

If we're going to compare all this ado over nothing to high school, however, getting ourselves riled up about it is going to do nothing. If you're not into sports, just don't pay attention to these two. If you are, find others to listen to/read. There's always going to be those who aren't into nerd things, and there's always going to be those who are into nerd things. Unless you're one of those types that is really itching for a Marx-style "class" war, just let it slide and ignore those you know are going to be insulting.

5. Idgie

Mar 17, 2001
    I wouldn't say that it's a useless topic,Mike.While I do agree with your POV that we should just ultimately ignore this sort of thing,the media's perception of the fandom is obviously a source of both interest and frustration at times for some of us.Just because we may not be able to do anything to change that doesn't mean that we can't(or shouldn't,or won't)still talk about it.

Truth is,in this case it boils down to the kettle calling the pot black.Albom and Rome are both geeks....sports geeks,but geeks nonetheless.Maybe there's some geek denial going on there.(?)Sort of like you bash the geeks because that takes attention away from the fact that you're also one.The best thing these guys(or any of us)can do is simply embrace your nerd-dom and accentuate it,whether it be computing batting stats or SW minutae.

'...and ignore those you know are going to be insulting.'

Dude,the irony in that statement is mind-boggling. o_O

6. Dunc T'racen

Dunc T'racen Jedi Grand Master star 3

Mar 11, 2000
    Thanks for the welcome, Idgie. :)

I don't think I'd go to far as to call it personally insulting by any means. I mean, the situation is pretty hypocritical.

Actually, since he's a columnist, projecting a persona is pretty much his job. That's what columnists do. Reporters report, columnists put their own spin on the news. But that's irrelevant to the point at hand.

But his books do suck. ;)

I don't really care what these guys thing about us. I'm not a sports geek, I never listen to Jim Rome, and rarely read Albom. I don't really think it's worth getting up in arms about.

That's not to say I've never taken a potshot at Albom for his comments. But in the long run, it's not a huge deal.

7. Qonas

Qonas Jedi Master star 4

Feb 12, 2003
    Never said this topic or discussion was useless, but actually getting upset over what these people have said is useless. Half the reason they even publicly make these comments is to get a reaction, heh, so if they annoy you that bad fight back by ignoring them. :p

Couldn't agree with you more here.

Hey, I've at least got credible sources backing up my irrational hatred of Harry Potter. :p

Exactly, heh.

8. Idgie

Mar 17, 2001
    '...but actually getting upset over what these people have said is useless. Half the reason they even publicly make these comments is to get a reaction, heh, so if they annoy you that bad fight back by ignoring them.

Never said they annoyed me,but as a wanna-be anthropologist(i.e,nerd)I do find the concept/idea of fandom in and of itself to be an intriguing subject.I ask questions like 'Why is certain-certain behavior considered acceptable for one group,but not another' just because I find the answers interesting if somewhat disturbing.

So you see,I can't just ignore 'em...they may end up in a research project someday. :p Besides,it'd take more than a few verbal jabs to provoke a fight from me. [face_devil]

9. YodasBrownEyedGirl

YodasBrownEyedGirl Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 18, 2003
    Mike,
    I don't understand how you feel that comfortable basing your opinions of Harry Potter on other peoples opinions.[face_thinking] I would assume that you still have not read the books or watched the films on your own to make your own opinion.

As for what others say about Star Wars fans, NERD POWER ALL THE WAY. :-B I love collecting Star Wars. I love costuming for Star Wars. I love saying I have gone and seen the movie in theaters 10 times now. I don't understand why people have to apologize for something they love. I don't see sports stars apologizing for how much they love their sport, not to mention the fact they are making loads of money doing it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.