Anyone local going to C2?

Discussion in 'Raleigh, NC' started by CarolynNC, Apr 19, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CarolynNC Force Ghost

star 3
    I just found this section of the board today. I followed a link from the meeting announcement.

I've been a Star Wars fan for many, many years and upon reading about Celebration II I decide to go for it. I've already made all my arrangements. On May 2nd my 15 year old son and I fly out of RDU headed for Indianapolis. I'm really excited about sharing this weekend with my son and I can't wait to take part in what should be a spectacular fan event.

I wish I had found out about the meeting earlier. I would have made arrangements for us both to attend. I'll keep my eyes open for the next one.

Carolyn
  2. Jedi_Laura_Kenobi Force Ghost

star 5
    I'm afraid I'm not going. :( I wish I could!

Have a great time! :D
  3. Dal--Intrepid Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I'll be attending with two friends - taking a 6:15am flight outta RDU on Friday morning.
  4. CarolynNC Force Ghost

star 3
    Jedi Laura - sorry to hear you won't be able to make it.

Dal-Intrepid - I was going to take that same flight but since it takes me a little over an hour to get to the airport I figured I better head out the night before.

Does anyone know how the first meeting went? I'm watching for the next announcement.

Carolyn
  5. Jedi_Laura_Kenobi Force Ghost

star 5
    Yeah, but I'll be at CelebrationIII for sure! ;) :D

I would get to the airport pretty early (in relation to your flight)... the last time I was there security was much tighter then it was before the 9/11 attacks. But that was in December, so... I'm not sure how it is now. :p

May I ask where you live, Carolyn? :) You said it took a little over an hour to get to the airport, so I'm curious.
  6. CarolynNC Force Ghost

star 3
    I live in Person County north of Durham but I work in Durham. It's actually closer for me to go to the Greensboro airport but flights weren't any better out of Greensboro and they cost more. I'm also more familiar with RDU. I plan to pick up my son at school on Thursday and head for the airport. We'll be cutting it close getting there 2 hours before the flight which is what I've been told is recommended.

I'm hoping C3 will be somewhere like Atlanta. I want a direct flight!

Carolyn
  7. dinoX Jedi Knight

star 3
    I wish I could go to Celebration 2. But my choice for days off was C2 or seeing Ep. 2 in the theatre...So I'll take seeing the movie in the theater. ;)

So much greatness in May. My birthday. College is over for a while. Episode 2. Celebration 2 and E3. Man. :eek:
  8. Dal--Intrepid Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    CarolynNC - we thought about heading out Thursday night, but one of my friends and I are coming from Greenville and we would have been cutting it way too close since we couldn't get off work. (We work in TV and it's "sweeps"). We're just gonna drive up Thursday night and stay with our third travelling companion who lives in Raleigh and get up early for our flight. We all decided there was nothing going on so crucial that it would kill us to get to C2 around lunchtime. I don't think showing up 2 hours after the doors open is gonna break our hearts.
  9. CarolynNC Force Ghost

star 3
    Dal-Intrepid

Sounds like you have a great plan. Hope you have a safe trip and a great flight. I wanted to get up there early so I wouldn't be sooooo tired by the time I got there. I'm hoping more people will think like you and the lines Friday morning for the C2 store will be shorter. With the schedules coming out I'm realizing there is so much to do and not enough time.

Carolyn
  10. TallonKaardgamer Jedi Master

star 4
    I'd love to see a complete report when you get back!
  11. Jedi_Laura_Kenobi Force Ghost

star 5
    CarolynNC: Ah, Durham! Didn't a new big mall just open there? I probably dreamed that one up. :p I've been there once or twice, it seems pretty nice! :)

I hope CIII is close - but I'm going no matter where it is. ;) Where there's a will there's a way, right? :p

When's your birthday, dinoX? :D

I hope everyone who is going to Celebration II has a fantastic time! :D Are all of you from around here going to meet up somewhere? :)
  12. CarolynNC Force Ghost

star 3
    Jedi Laura - There's a hugh new mall but I haven't been out there yet. I'm still using the stores convenient to me instead of the new ones.

TallonKaardgammer - My son and I are taking 2 digital cameras so I hope we'll get lots of pictures. I'll be interested in the different perspectives...teen fan vs fan for 25 years. Anyway, I hope to do a trip report when we return. Once it's ready I'll let you know where it can be viewed.

Carolyn
  13. Dal--Intrepid Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    CarolynNC - I'm bringing my video camera (and still) and would love to get you and your son's perspectives of Star Wars. One of my traveling companions and I are hoping to get together a sorta documentary out of this trip when we return. Hopefully we'll run into you out there. You gonna be wearing a nametag?
  14. Jedi_Laura_Kenobi Force Ghost

star 5
    CarolynNC: :) From what I've heard it's pretty nice. A few of my friends have been there.

I was going to ask what grade your son was in at school, but then again I wouldn't know him because I guess he wouldn't go to my school... :p I'm a genius. :p

I love your sig Dal--Intrepid! [face_laugh] Have fun! ;) :)
  15. Jedi_Laura_Kenobi Force Ghost

star 5
    So, how was it? :D I've heard it was fantastic - I hope all of you who went had an amazing time! :D Tell us about it! :)
  16. CarolynNC Force Ghost

star 3
    Hi again,

We got back after midnight Sunday and still had an hour & a half drive home. We had to go back to work/school Monday. I'm still trying to catch up on my sleep.

I'd give C2 mixed reviews. Even though things were really disorganized we still had fun but I paid alot of money for this trip to stand in line hour after hour after hour. It seemed like every line I was standing in was cut off a few feet from my placement. Most of the Celebration merchandise ran out the first day...really poor planning on WotC's part. All the aisles and hallways were packed. They should have used more of the convention center.

I don't think having a fan club membership did much good. The line outside was so long it took us a while to get inside. I don't know why they only had one door operational.

Since the first thing we did was go to the store we were able to get the C2 tshirts, poster, and Lucas figure. Of course we were in line for the store so long we didn't make it in for the Opening Ceremony. I guess it was a fair trade off. My son bought a ton of stuff so he was happy. He got so much stuff we had to ship our dirty clothes home. No room in the suitcase and he sure wouldn't ship any of the new stuff. :D

The only seminar I was able to get in was the Lando/Lobot reunion. I stood in line Friday for Concert tickets and they sold out. I stood in line again Saturday for 3 hours and finally got tickets. The concert was very good but I was hoping for something more visual. Talking with the fans in line was fun. Met lots of nice people. Loved the costumes. Such creative folks. The members of the 501st were great.

My favorite thing was the life size action figure package. You could get inside and have someone take your picture. Although I took lots of pictures of people in costume inside I never lined up to have my picture taken. Couldn't take another line.

I really enjoyed the archive exhibit, the fan films, the diorama workshop, pop culture film loop, art show, toy museum, and computer gaming area. Most of those were easily accessible. If it was crowded it soon thinned out.

Someone asked if I'd go to C3. Right now I'm undecided. It depends on what it costs me for travel & hotel. I think if they presold tickets to events and could insure I wouldn't be in lines all day I might consider it. Otherwise I'll stay home and look at all the pictures on the internet.

Carolyn

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.