London, ON Anyone looking for a roommate?

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by Admiral_Thrawn60, Mar 15, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Admiral_Thrawn60 Jedi Youngling

star 6
    Come in on Friday! Buy cantaloupe! :p ;)

Thank God Karel managed to get another skid of strawberries added to our order that came in today from the warehouse in Toronto. We're already running low. It's incredible. I've neve seen anything like it. I doubled Wednesday's order. 2000 lbs of strawberries. That should hold us until Friday.

So Deb, if you want strawberries, get them before they're gone! ;) Yesterday, I had to sell the strawberries I was holding for one of the cashiers, and I even sold the ones I was going to reduce, at full price.
  2. Lelila Jedi Master

star 4
    Chris, I went to buy strawberries the day after you told me about them, but there were none there! What gives with that? Anyway I'll check again tonight.
  3. Admiral_Thrawn60 Jedi Youngling

star 6
    Did you see my handwritten sign saying we had sold out, please come back tomorrow?

I can't promise you we'll have any tonight. It's incredible. I've never seen anything like it. Every customer is buying at least one, it seems!

EDIT: Sold out again today. You got there just in time, Deb. It seems that at the time you got yours, there were no more in the back.
  4. Rabellaka FF City Rep London, ON Canada

Chapter Rep
    star 4
    Maybe it's because strawberries are a summer food, and it has been so warm lately that everyone wants something that reminds them of summer, even if it's just a subconcious thing.
  5. Primrodo Force Ghost

star 4
    I sadly found out that my lease is a 12 month lease...:(
  6. SarahSkywalker Jedi Knight

star 2
    I want strawberries!
    So not done til August Justin?
  7. Primrodo Force Ghost

star 4
    Apparently not...man I so would've wanted to take one of the places in your house Sarah...

anyone know a way to get out of a lease?
  8. Rabellaka FF City Rep London, ON Canada

Chapter Rep
    star 4
    I haven't had a lease yet, so I don't know...

Chris: I ran out of sugar while I was baking yesterday, so I since I had to go over budget anyway, I got some strawberries and cantelope, they're really good. And I found more Vegetarian stuff there! Now I know where to go if I want Vegan stuff. For some reason your store has the best selection.
  9. Admiral_Thrawn60 Jedi Youngling

star 6
    For some reason your store has the best selection.

Of course. ;)

I was in Loblaws yesterday, applying for a Master Card. While I was there, I decided to inspect their produce department. Their employees probably thought I was crazy, examining everything in the department without buying anything. Anyway, I came to the conclusion that it is of far inferior quality. That stuff would never pass our standards.
  10. Jymm_Roquand Jedi Master

star 4
    Lol you want inferior quality?? Try Don's No Frills in Whitby, where I was formerly employed. The Produce department is a mess because half of the GOOD produce is often used for target practice when the guys take their own break, ussually when the managers aren't looking. Don't even get me started on the Grocery and Meat department. :p

Standards my ass!
  11. Admiral_Thrawn60 Jedi Youngling

star 6
    Try Don's No Frills in Whitby

Doesn't surprise me. They're owned by Loblaws, I believe. Food Basics is owned by us.
  12. Jymm_Roquand Jedi Master

star 4
    OI! Don't get me started on Food Basics!! Currently I am a Big fan of Zehrs! They have great deals for starving students like me. I'M ALL SKIN AND BONES (says the so called pillsbury doh boy :p ).
  13. Admiral_Thrawn60 Jedi Youngling

star 6
    Food Basics is cheap. You want price, go there. You want quality, come to A&P. We're fresh obsessed.

We're also expanding operations. We just increased our workforce from 130 to 150. I swear, these newbies are getting younger all the time. The new Chris looks like he's about 12. He also doesn't look strong enough to carry tote boxes full of product. He's truly skin and bones. We now have 3 Chris's and 3 Erins. I swear, Tim and Reinhard are doing it just to confuse us. :p
  14. Jymm_Roquand Jedi Master

star 4
    Actually if I can REALLY choose I shop at Sobey's. I have always been rather fond of it and have never had problems. However its only in recent years that I have seen them crop up in Ontario (they started big in the Maritime provinces).
  15. Admiral_Thrawn60 Jedi Youngling

star 6
    Sobeys is currently the largest in the industry here. Loblaws is in second place. We're in third.
  16. Rabellaka FF City Rep London, ON Canada

Chapter Rep
    star 4
    really? I don't think I've ever even seen a Sobeys. I like Knectels, but they are just in small towns.... and you have to find the good ones. The one in Listowel is VERY good (Dad's fiance works there) but the one in Lucknow is horrible.
  17. Admiral_Thrawn60 Jedi Youngling

star 6
    I've never seen a Sobeys either, but one of my workers and I were talking about business and the industry a few weeks ago, and he mentioned that Sobeys is the largest.
  18. Jymm_Roquand Jedi Master

star 4
    Like I said, Sobey's seems to be a coastal thing. I know there are ones in Barrie, Perry Sound, Missisauga and a few other places. They seem to be buying out old run down IGAs and converting them to Sobey's. I am not sure if they are the top of the industry but I grew up with them and tend to stay loyal with things from my childhood.
  19. Admiral_Thrawn60 Jedi Youngling

star 6
    They seem to be buying out old run down IGAs and converting them to Sobey's.

They're not buying them out. They own IGA.

We're a force to be reckoned with though. Business has improved over the past year, and we are quite strong in Ontario. Our US division, which is owned by a German company, is on the verge of bankruptcy, however. A&P may become strictly a Canadian company.
  20. Jymm_Roquand Jedi Master

star 4
    Either way the IGA's go and the Sobey's appear.
  21. Admiral_Thrawn60 Jedi Youngling

star 6
    Sobeys tried to buy us a few years back, but the deal fell through.
  22. Rabellaka FF City Rep London, ON Canada

Chapter Rep
    star 4
    And someday the entire world will be owned by one company....
  23. Admiral_Thrawn60 Jedi Youngling

star 6
    Yes, you're probably right. That's the end result of capitalism - what happens if it's allowed to go completely unchecked.
  24. Rabellaka FF City Rep London, ON Canada

Chapter Rep
    star 4
    Big Brother is watching you....
  25. Admiral_Thrawn60 Jedi Youngling

star 6
    For what? Saying that unchecked capitalism is bad? No they're not. CSIS has better things to worry about then someone who supports a mixed economy. Especially since Big Brother does as well.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.