main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

London, ON Anyone looking for a roommate?

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by Admiral_Thrawn60, Mar 15, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rabellaka

Rabellaka Jedi Master star 4

Nov 20, 2002
    I didn't even know CSIS existed until a few years ago.... has there ever been a movie about CSIS???

2. Woofer

Woofer Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 27, 2001
    No, but there was a musical:

"Please don't resist! We're here from CSIS!!"

It didn't go over too well.

3. Admiral_Thrawn60

Admiral_Thrawn60 Jedi Youngling star 6

Jul 8, 2000
    I had never heard of them either until my history teacher last year told us that he requested a list of banned books and CSIS showed up on his doorstep. They're pretty secretive, and much of their operations are carried out at remote northern locations. That's pretty much all I know about them.

4. Primrodo

Primrodo Jedi Master star 4

Jun 23, 2002
    They make trips into schools occastionally.

But they are pretty secretive...which is awesome...our espionage unit is more secretive than the CIA ;)

5. Woofer

Woofer Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 27, 2001
    Well my best friend used to be a systems operator for the RCMP.

RCMP HQ is one paranoid building. You have to check in at several desks as you move through the building.

And as paranoid as the RCMP were, he told me going into a CSIS building was ten times worse!

It looks like when CSIS was formed from the RCMP that they only hired the most paranoid, most neurotic RCMP officers to run it.

6. Rabellaka

Nov 20, 2002
    no wonder the teacher we had who used to work for CSIS (which was how I found out about it) had a nervous breakdown...

7. SarahSkywalker

SarahSkywalker Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 24, 2002
    My biggest problem with A & P is that they don't have a good selection of meat, and the meat they do have is fatty.
    Otherwise, I like the ones in London, I go to the Cherryhill one often as it's closest.
    The A&P in Owen Sound is horrid though, no selection in any area, truly frustrating.
    Loblaws is good but expensive.
    Hardly ever been to a Food Basics, here I do A&P, Loblaws or ValuMart (whose meat is even worse) and in O.S I do IGA and Zehrs. Is Zehrs in the Loblaws company? seems similar.

8. Rabellaka

Nov 20, 2002
    Yes, Zhers is part of Lablaws. That was evident when they started building the "Mega-Zhers" everywhere. Value-Mart is part of the same company, I think.

I don't care much about meat, I don't eat it anyway. If i did want meat, I'd buy it at M&M's anyway.

9. Admiral_Thrawn60

Jul 8, 2000
    You're a produce girl, and with our fresh obsession, A&P is the place to be, right? ;)

10. TheGrandePoobah

TheGrandePoobah Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 30, 2000
    I'm a Loblaws shopper myself... haven't had any real problems with them in a long time. But I mainly shop there because it's where my parents in TO shop...

Now... going back to rent etc... something that I don't think was mentioned... and would certainly be an option here (I'm not sure what teh London market is like) would be to get a summer sublet from a Student with a 12 month leese but who's gone for the summer. Some students get pretty desperate and will offer good deals. Then you can worry again in September when you can't find a place because of the double cohort. Something more to consider though.

11. SarahSkywalker

Sep 24, 2002
    Or rent yourself. Too bad Justin, I'd get a finders fee! ;)

And Janet, isn't M&M's rather expensive??

12. Rabellaka

Nov 20, 2002
    yes, M&Ms is expensive, but it's got better quality stuff. I like their finger foods, and for those they are better value than grocery stores. They used to have very good fish (fish & Chips kind)

13. Admiral_Thrawn60

Jul 8, 2000
    When I lived in BC, we got our meat from nothing but M&Ms. Now that I live here, I just get it at A&P.

14. SarahSkywalker

Sep 24, 2002
    M&M's finger food...also expensive...but oh, does it make me drool...
    breaded cheese sticks...sausage rolls...mini quiche...ooohhhhhh...I need cash to be able to buy better food.

15. Rabellaka

Nov 20, 2002
    try having my diet.... I need to spend more just to get food I can eat... and I don't even like half of what I can eat.

16. Lelila

Lelila Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 16, 1999
    I don't know what CSIS is - but back to the discussion on the previous page.
    I used to work for Sobeys (before that, it was an "IGA", and before that it was a "Food City"). There are quite a few in Toronto. I live in a really Jewish neighbourhood in Thornhill, so our Sobeys was awesome for Jewish food, had 3 Kosher aisles, and Kosher meat, cheese, etc. And when Passover comes around it's full of the right stuff.
    That's one of the main problem with the A&P for me. There is absolutely no Jewish stuff, ever, especially around Passover. I was at Sobey's in London on Friday and I started buying Passover stuff just because I'd never seen it in the A&P. They sure don't want to make it easy for me!

17. Admiral_Thrawn60

Jul 8, 2000
    That's one of the main problem with the A&P for me. There is absolutely no Jewish stuff, ever, especially around Passover.

That's because we're German-owned. ;)

I don't know what CSIS is

The Canadian Security and Intelligence Service. They're like the CIA, only much more secretive. Most of their work is done way up north, far from any civilization, in locations unknown to civilians. That's all I know about them, and even that is probably too much. ;)

They are an organization with secrets to keep, not a secret organization, but sometimes it seems that way.

18. Primrodo

Jun 23, 2002
  19. Admiral_Thrawn60

Jul 8, 2000
    I know. Where did you think I got the line "secrets to protect, not a secret organization"? :p

When I said sometimes it seems that way, I was referring to the fact that a surprising number of Canadians don't even know it exists.

20. Primrodo

Jun 23, 2002
    Its more secret than MI:5 or 6 and CIA...hmmm

someone should do a spy thriller :p

The Man from CSIS

21. Wolf

Wolf Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 29, 2002
    I don't think that CSIS is really that secret, it is just like most things Canadian...no one really cares enough to find out about it..

22. Admiral_Thrawn60

Jul 8, 2000
    I've heard some stuff about them from a few people, including one of my teachers. People who have had run ins with those guys. They seem to take security and their privacy extremely seriously and their intelligence seems to be good.

Keep up the good work, guys! Root our our enemies! :)

23. Rabellaka

Nov 20, 2002
    just don't lose a briefcase at the Air Canada center.... even if it is in the trunk of your car.

That's the only time I've ever heard of CSIS in the news.

24. Jymm_Roquand

Jymm_Roquand Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 25, 2002
    Hey Chris...just started working at the new A&P in Whitby...lol...i hate to disapoint you but I hate it lol...but its a job so i just shut my mouth and work.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.