main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Anyone making a fan film in Cardiff?? (or near??)

Discussion in 'Archive: FF:UK - Wales' started by Darth_Dil, May 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Welshguy

Welshguy Jedi Master star 4

Jun 2, 2002
    That's ok, I can wait for my money, i'm not in any rush. :)

So how long is this story going to be exactly?

2. generalgreivous4

generalgreivous4 Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 5, 2005
    LOL

Its about...well I can't really be exact at the mome for lengh, I'm still in the process of writing it, and knowing me I always like to insert more details and storyline during that process. I'm working on developing my characters a lot, as they are new, and cant really mix a few unknown characters into any old situation.

Also, scale wise, think of 'A New Hope'. Also, people might not have a clue whats going on and where they are, same thing fans went through with a 'ANH' I suppose.

3. Welshguy

Jun 2, 2002
    Wow, my style of writing is soooo different.

I just sit down with a basic story outline and write. I don't really give any plan to characters or situations. They just kind of happen.

You have had some kind of training in creative writing then I take it?

4. generalgreivous4

Feb 5, 2005
    You have had some kind of training in creative writing then I take it?

Could say that, I studied creative writing a lot last year in english.

5. Welshguy

Jun 2, 2002
    So thats a big fat yes then ;) Is creative writing something that you would like to persue as a career? Maybe study it in Uni?

Part of me wishes I could have my time over again and do something like that, but i'm pretty lazy and would probably drop out by Christmas.....

6. generalgreivous4

Feb 5, 2005
    As a career, I hope to persue film making, but then I suppose thats going to be very hard around here.

I think writing might just be something I do in my spare time.

7. Welshguy

Jun 2, 2002
    Well I would have agreed with you in the past, but with the Dragon Studios being built, this part of the world could very well see a boom in film production. If that happens then there is bound to be a knock on effect for local talent such as yourself. So if you get everything in position now, who knows what you could be looking at in the not to distant future.

That is if the local Government idiots don't get their way and block it. I remember when it was in the planning stages, they tried to ban it as they said we would need to build more roads!

SO?????

The shortsightedness and pettyness of these people makes me sick. They don't care about the people they are representing. They just want the power and title. But thankfully they were over ruled by yet another tear of government and the project was given the go ahead.

8. generalgreivous4

Feb 5, 2005
    Never heard about that project before, sounds cool,I'll have to keep an eye out.

Well I will let you know when its posted, my story, and then let you all in on what else I decide to do with it...could very may be that one day we will all do a fan film...I think we would be the first really in the UK to not only make a fan film like this, but one that is serious as well, just like the 'Revelations' fan film really, and a lot others of cource.

I should warn, my story doesnt really have one object that every fan knows of...and thats a lightsaber.

9. Welshguy

Jun 2, 2002
    No lightsaber!!!! Your getting into dangerous territory there ;)

Here are a few links to the Dragon International Studio and the problems it has had with the petty regional assembly. Yeah, thats right, I did't use caps!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/2984748.stm

http://www.kingsturge.co.uk/commercial/news/king-sturge-advise-on-major-blockbuster-in-wales.htm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/low/wales/2290189.stm

10. generalgreivous4

Feb 5, 2005
    Thanks for the links. Very interesting, sounds really good, im really excited now, ive quickly read over it as i am supposed to be revising. Is this really going ahead? I mean have they started construction already?

Maybe there might be a breif mention of a Lightsaber, and a cameo from one of the Star Wars characters we all know and love.

11. Welshguy

Jun 2, 2002
    I'm not sure if it is being built right now? I remember seeing pictures of diggers laying foundations, but that was years ago.

One of the stories I can across was a site in Newport offering the studio a new location. With all the problems they have had from the Rhondda Cynon Taff Coucil (which I admit to living in, ohhhh I could tell you some stories!) I wouldn't blame them if they just packed up and even moved out of Wales and into England somewhere.

We're talking thousands of jobs and a tourist and business attraction that would be a dream come true for people like us, yet they are willing to risk it for the sake of a junction of the M4???

What? I mean, what the hell????? How did these people get out of infants school? WHY????

I don't understand?? Uhhhh!

Damn them all, damn them all to hell!

Guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens. But if they get their way, this thing will be dead in the water. Tied up in endless red tape and endless delays until they get fed up and pack their bags.

12. Sakara

Sakara Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 8, 2005
    Ive been keeping an eye on the Dragon Studios knightmare for a while...As someone who really wants to get into the film industry but stay in Wales..this seemed like a great idea, but oh yeah small time politics got in the way.I worked for a while in the Planning dept of Cardiff council so i know all about red tape..we had miles of it!

Id love to get more film experience both in front and behind the camera as an actress and costumier.So far ive only had extras parts and a never happened low budget movie to design for though i have been offered a role in a non Star Wars fan film

13. Jairen

Jairen Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 1, 2000
    Well, if it's alright with you Sakara, I'll keep your details on file. I've just had my costumes started for my current project, but I've always got projects on the go at one time or another. I'm not bothered about travel when it comes to film work, so I will drive my actors for fittings etc :D

In fact, I may be looking for a costume designer for a sci-fi project I've got planned for sometime late next year. Minimal budget, but I am willing to spend money for good designs.

14. Welshguy

Jun 2, 2002
    Sakara: You probably know more about this project than I do, so do youhave an idea if it is still going ahead and where it's being built? It was supposed to start in 2002, finished in 2006. It's 2005 now and I don't think they are going to make their target somehow...

How cool would it be if in 10-20 years time they made ep 7,8 and 9 there.. ;)

Jairen: So it's actors your looking for eh? Well check this out.

*ahem* (looks up)

Stella! Stella!!!!

STELLLLLA!

I thank you.

15. Sakara

Sakara Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 8, 2005
    im as clueless as you are Welshguy....theres been no word.. if they are building it theure keeping very quite about it!

Oh gods if they made Eps 7,8 and 9 here...that would make my millenium!!

16. Welshguy

Jun 2, 2002
    Yeah, we could hold stalking sessions outside. ;)

Guess we'll just have to wait and see. Though I think the finish date (if they do build it) could be more 2010, rather than 2006.

Though I suppsoe 2010 is more catchy. Yeah, i'm sure that's why the Rhondda Cynon Taff Council are holding it up, cause they're movie buffs.

17. Rhys

Rhys Jedi Master star 4

Jun 27, 2005
    Yeh, well, I hope it isn't -too- close to Newport, cos, you know, anybody who's actually been to newport knows what I mean.

Been thinking through my own fanfilm at the moment, and basically I'm just trying to see how far I can take my effects skills in creating some crazy lightsaber fights, then I'll probably work more on story. I blame Ryan vs Dorkman. I'm actually working in a amateur film at the moment for a friend, (going towards a qualification). Robbing a bank. We did get some strange looks walking up a high-street in suits, trenchcoats and sunglasses into HSBC.

18. MASTER-SITH

MASTER-SITH Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 14, 2003
    Ryhs i know what u mean as i live in newport lol

19. Rhys

Rhys Jedi Master star 4

Jun 27, 2005
    Yeh ;) I have to go there quite a lot, nearest city.

20. MASTER-SITH

Dec 14, 2003
    yer i city that is populait by chaves and townes and dumba** and a place were there is not alot to do

21. Welshguy

Jun 2, 2002
    Well that probably covers all of Wales doesn't it?

If your intereted in doing a fan film, then perhaps we could all pool our talents and resources here and put something together. Granted, if we were to pool all our talents and resources, it would be more of a puddle than a pool.

But a puddle is certainly better than a dribble, which is what I would have anyway.

I'm rambling now. This makes no sense??

22. MASTER-SITH

Dec 14, 2003
    lol well yer ur are but yer i am sure we can come up with something

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.