main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Anyone miss the SW theme in TPM?

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by Trippitaka, Apr 17, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trippitaka

Trippitaka Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 22, 2000
    I know it's really Luke's theme, but it's also the main theme for all the films. Except TPM perhaps?

It was barely used throughout the film, and when it did play in all it's glory (in the end credits), it was like a reminder to me that 'oh yeah, this was a SW film'.

Surprisingly I love watching the trailers for TPM (which used the OT music), yet watching the film with it's own score doesn't have the same impact. Perhaps in time, the themes that were introduced will leave an impression on me, but at the moment (and after having seen the film at least 10 times) nothing has yet. Not even DOTF (although I wasn't really a fan of it to start with).

Comments anyone?

2. jamesdrax

jamesdrax Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 30, 2000
    It was in the End Credits, enough for me.

:D

3. MusicJedi

MusicJedi Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 5, 2001
    I would ahve to agree with that observation. I love watching the trialers, and maybe its the music. I miss that focre theme, and the music that accompanies Ben and Yoda in the OT especially.
    When I heard pieces of the imperial march and force theme I got all excited, but they were merely glimpses.

I HOPE that the themes return in the next episodes now that Obi and Yoda will become more prominate.

4. Darth_Mameluke

Darth_Mameluke Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 20, 2000
    It was in Panaka and the Body Gaurd's theme...

5. Demon_Lord_Piccolo

Demon_Lord_Piccolo Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 22, 2001
    I think the Main Theme was used quite a bit in TPM. It was in the opening scroll, played a lot when Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon were fighting the droids on the Trade Federation battleship, played when the pilots were getting to their ships to attack the Contol Ship, and it played during the closing credits. I think that's a lot. Maybe not as much as the other movies, but I wouldn't excpect it to. While it is the Main Star Wars theme, it is usually associated with Luke, and while it's presence in the prequels is necessary, it should not be fully developed until the OT.

6. Trippitaka

Trippitaka Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 22, 2000
    True - it is Luke's theme really.
    However, when it was used during the Qui/Kenobi battle on the TF ship, it's that familiar music what really made the scene work for me (as it did in the trailers).

IMO, the rest of the score didn't have the same impact. It's not really the fact that the new themes weren't the same as the old - I wouldn't want or expect them to be. They just seemed very much in the background and subdued, and so more or less went unnoticed (for me anyway).

7. DarthHomer

DarthHomer Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2000
    Well, I found Duel of the Fates and Auggie's Great Municipal Band to be as good as any music in the OT. The Main Theme could have been used more, perhaps, but the Force Theme was played plenty of times in TPM. My favourite use of it was when Anakin was flying out of the droid control ship.

8. Erin Kenobi

Erin Kenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

May 30, 2000
    I did miss the SW theme a bit, but TPM had pretty good music of its own.

9. emilsson

emilsson Force Ghost star 6

Oct 5, 1998
    I think the main title was used enough times as it is. My problem is that in TPM the use of themes are not as clear and apparent as in the OT. One thing I loved about the OT music was how it itself seemed to tell the story. The music in TPM does not do this, at least not for me.

10. JWK

JWK Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 18, 2000
    I wish it was in the soundtrack, then I'd be able to listen to it.

11. Demon_Lord_Piccolo

Demon_Lord_Piccolo Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 22, 2001
    I think your talking about the original release. Get the Ultimate Edition of the TPM soundtrack, it's much better. It gives you practically ALL the music in the movie in chronological order. It's worth the money.

12. JWK

JWK Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 18, 2000
    I missed it a lot.
    I hope its in the EII soundtrack

13. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    I think the Main Theme was used right where it should have been. I am glad that Williams has learned to score films without leaning on the Main Themes button all the time. I am sure it will surface more throughout the remaining PT.

Indy and the Last Crusade is a FAR better score than Raiders because it does exactly that. The new themes composed for the film are used frequently and non thematic materiel scores other parts. In Raiders, he seems to use the Raiders March theme every 2 minutes. Every time something happens it's right there.

I like the fact that TPM got away from character themes and moved towards more location related motifs. It's more enjoyable to listen to.

And yes... get the Ultimate Edition soundtrack if you don't already have it. It is the complete score. So much good music, including much of the new uses of the older themes, were not included on the OST.

14. Ty-gon Jinn

Ty-gon Jinn Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 12, 2000
    My problem: While it was in the end credits, it wasn't in it in the end. I didn't notice its absence until the very end of the end credits. It played Duel of the Fates, then Anakin's Theme, then it just faded out. No grand fanfare reminiscent of the Main Theme. That flourish always made the end credits for me.

15. GasCabbie

GasCabbie Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 28, 2001
    I think that all the problems people have with TPM's score are things that were intentionally done to seperate TPM from the other movies. The tone of TPM was pre-Empire when everything was clean and shiny (Amidala's Ship), while the OT is post-Empire, when everything becomes worn out and dirty (the Falcon).

16. JimWare

JimWare Jedi Youngling

Dec 12, 2000
    Please stop referring to the 'ultimate' edition as the complete score. It is not.

-Jim Ware

17. Darth Pikachuwbacca

Darth Pikachuwbacca Jedi Master star 4

Jan 22, 2000
    Well, it is the complete score that was heard in the movie, and more. (But not much more.)

18. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    The complete score is all the music heard in a film. Not all the music recorded during the sessions for a film. That would be unreleased music.

The Ultimate Edition is the complete score. Sorry.

19. JimWare

JimWare Jedi Youngling

Dec 12, 2000
    No. The complete score would include every cue recorded for the film, presented as they were recorded (unedited), in the order intended by the composer, along with alternate and unused cues.

The 2CD SEs are like this (for the most part). The 2CD set of 'Superman' is like this. The 'ultimate' edition is just unlistenable crap.

P.S. The 'ultimate' edition does not include everything heard in the film.

20. Han_YoungJediNiagara

Han_YoungJediNiagara Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 28, 2001
    The SW theme? You mean the one that played at the very beginning until the Republic Cruiser flew by???

Sorry, I NEVER heard that theme in the entire movie. And I DIDN'T hear it in a lot of other scenes.

21. Jenkwombat

Jenkwombat Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 23, 2001
    How could you possibly miss it?

It's used quite prominently....

22. Waning Drill

Waning Drill Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 30, 1999
    Perhaps it was not used as much because it doubles as the Rebels' theme in the OT?

23. Jedi_Ross

Jedi_Ross Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 2, 2001
    Hi! I'm new to the boards, but I had to respond to this.
    The music in TPM is much more subtle (in parts) than that of the OT. So was the film. The Force theme pops up quite a few times, and it would get boring after a while of just hearing the old themes rehashed. John Williams is the Greatest Composer to ever live, and the music to TPM improves on the music established in the OT. Anakin's theme really isn't new at all. It's the Imperial theme played slowly and inverted.
    To really enjoy the music you need the Ultimate Edition.
    The OT themes will continue to be added to the scores, along with their own themes. Williams himself says so.
    Anyway, just IMHO.

24. HUNTER7

HUNTER7 Jedi Youngling

Sep 22, 2001
    I think that by episode III the score will come closer to the original. Slowly Lucas is bridging the gap between the films. For example in episode II Palpatine has his throne room chair from ROTJ in his office, Obi-Wan's fighter is based on the triangle shape of the star destroyers.

TPM score has a bit of the classic trilogy mix in it to bring you back to the SW universe. It's a different time in the saga and the music reflects that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.