main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Anyone miss those non-CG cutscenes?

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by razzy1319, Oct 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. razzy1319

razzy1319 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 27, 2004
    Red Alert, Command and conquer, Jedi Knight, Dune, Myst, Fantasmagoria...

Anyone else miss these kinds of cutscenes? it made getting cutscenes and finishing videogames stories for me worth it.

2. jedimasterinu

jedimasterinu Jedi Youngling star 4

Jul 29, 2005
    I never played a game with non-CG cutscenes. I just really got into video games 2-3 years ago.

3. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    I assume you're talking about FMV cut scenes? I thnk there is still room for them sometimes. But it depends on the game style and how well produced (and acted) they are.

4. ShadowStoneKat

ShadowStoneKat Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 11, 2004
    Personally, I hate the games that just have in-game cutscenes. Its like the only scene they have time to produce is the beginning intros. They don't have take the time to do pre-rendered cutscenes.

5. Siths_Revenge

Siths_Revenge Jedi Youngling star 7

Jul 27, 2004
    CG cutscenes are great. I think the ones in the new Rainbow Six are really cool. Too bad the game isn't.

6. Mandalorian-Guy

Mandalorian-Guy Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 3, 2002
    It depends on the game and who's making it. The cutscenes in Halo are superb, but everything in the game is CG.

7. Drew_Atreides

Drew_Atreides Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 30, 2002
    Oh definitely. You're right about fmv cutscenes making the games seem more worth it.

The best part about successfully completing a mission in "Wing Commander III" and "Wing Commander IV" was getting to another cutscene with Mark Hamill and Tom Wilson! :p

8. Siths_Revenge

Siths_Revenge Jedi Youngling star 7

Jul 27, 2004
    The Silent Hill series has the best CG cutscenes. They make me feel like I'm watching a film.

9. Darth-Lando

Aug 12, 2002
    I think blizzard makes the best pre-rendered cut scenes. They keep getting better with each game they make. They even sell DVD's with just the cut-scenes on them. And people buy them.

10. razzy1319

razzy1319 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 27, 2004
    I'm guessing a majority of posters here dont remember live action cutscenes then.

I remember kari wuhrer's appearance as tanya in red alert and even gimli's mission briefing in dune 2000 were quite good.

Was it mark hamill in tiberian sun too?

Blizzard's is good but i hated that the final one in warcraft 3 was a guy humping a tree.

11. Drew_Atreides

Drew_Atreides Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 30, 2002
    It was Michael Biehn (And James Earl Jones!) in Tiberian Sun.

12. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002

Command and Conquer's villain side was fun. When your boss got jealous, Cane shot him in the head. That was quite graphic at that time!

13. Dante_Glass

Dante_Glass Jedi Master star 4

Apr 2, 2004
    With some of the people who lend there voices to video games now, i can see big stars comming in to do more FMV, well not big big, but you know. Basicaly i want a new Jedi Knight game with lots of FMVs, and Harrison Ford

14. SephyCloneNo15

SephyCloneNo15 Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 9, 2005
    I remember JK's FMV cutscenes. They were freakin' sweet

15. Ive_Got_Two_Legs

Ive_Got_Two_Legs Jedi Youngling star 4

Jul 18, 2005
    The Command & Conquer series cutscenes made the series for me. The deciding factor in me not buying Generals was that there were no FMVs. Although, I'll go along with whoever said that the Blizzard CG cutscenes are awesome, too. But FMV will always hold a special place in my heart.

16. Anakin_Sockwalker

Anakin_Sockwalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 11, 2005
    I loved the ones for Command and Conquer. :)

17. darth_Boba

darth_Boba Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 28, 2002
    Some games still do use FMV cutscenes, but they are mainly movie tie-ins. LOTR and ROTS come to mind.

18. CieSharp

CieSharp Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 18, 2002
    FMV cutscenes are good if the actors are good. I liked the Wing Commander series FMV for instance, but not Rebel Assault 2 :p

19. Jedi_Matt

Jedi_Matt Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 11, 2002
    anyone remember rebel assault 1?!? that was worse... a picture of veers i think it was, his mouth replaced by moving lips, and i think his eyebrows too, that was the worst.

rebel assault 2 was pretty bad, i wanted the stormie armour though...

jedi knight was the greatest ever...

I thought for ages and ages that Kyle Katarn was played by they guy who played Reese in Terminator...

but then I saw Terminator again and realised there was no way it was him

20. Duro_Blade

Duro_Blade Jedi Master star 3

Jan 4, 2002
    I assume the topic of discussion is live-action cutscenes? Personally I hated those, I really did. Half of them were so poorly acted, and produced. CG cutscences are far better. [face_peace]

21. Darth-Lando

Aug 12, 2002
    The live-action cut scenes for Gabriel Knight: The Beast Within were really good. The entire game was almost completely FMV and it was one of the few times were it really seemed to work. The acting wasn't bad either. ;)

22. Sgt_Cade

Sgt_Cade Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 14, 2004
    I was never really taken with the FMV sequences in games that seemed to be the rave in the mid '90s. I was a big fan of Wing Commander, up until Wing Commander III. I still played WCIII and the Price of Freedom, but I wasn't ever really taken with the live actors in the game, I always prefered the old 'blue hair' from WC1 and 2. Plus, having Mark Hamill assume the role of Christopher Blair kind of lost some immersion with me. I liked having my pilots name and alias in the game. But, maybe that's just me.

Jedi Knight was a really good game, I remember staying up till the wee hours of the morning playing this game multiplayer - heck, multiplayer really ensured this game a long life, and it had one. The single player was great, but I found the movie sequences in between the levels to sometimes be distracting, and some of the acting was horrible. Although, I would have preferred the old video cut-scenes, to the cut-scenes we got in MotS ;).

I think games flow so much better without the FMV. For me, it all has to do with immersion.

The only Gabriel Knights game I played was Sins of the Fathers, I never played any of the sequels so I can't really comment on those. Rebel Assault II had some okay cutscenes and what-not, but the gameplay was just awful. Which sadly enough, became par for the course with alot of gaming companies when they attempted to jump on that band wagon. They thought cool non-interactive FMV would sell the game alone, and the gameplay suffered horribly... some Star Trek games comes to mind that fell victim to this.

23. Odd_Ball13

Odd_Ball13 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 11, 2005
    i think the CS are good but they show thing u cant do like they do super cool move and all u can do is jump and stuff.

24. Dante_Glass

Dante_Glass Jedi Master star 4

Apr 2, 2004
    I thought for ages and ages that Kyle Katarn was played by they guy who played Reese in Terminator...

You mean Michael Biehn , he was the person who played Reese in Terinator, he was in the FMV in C&C Tiberian Sun, how ironic is that.

25. Jedi_Matt

Jedi_Matt Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 11, 2002
    learn something new everyday :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.