main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Anyone miss those non-CG cutscenes?

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by razzy1319, Oct 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Tynaus

Darth_Tynaus Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 22, 2003
    Lol, isn't that the truth?

2. Yodas-evil-twin

Yodas-evil-twin Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 3, 2005
    The fmv cut scenes in "Red Alert 2" and "Yuri's Revenge" were very well done.

3. Blaine_The_Mono

Blaine_The_Mono Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 18, 2005
    I remember one from Red Alert I think...Stalin was killed by some coffee this woman had gave him. Then this bald guy shot her. And then he had some speech about him been the future. Then the credits :D

About Warcraft, is there anywhere where you can download the cutscenes? I remember some from Warcraft 3 when I had it...they were beautiful.

4. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    I don't know about legal downloads, but Blizzard might release them on DVD someday. I know they did for Starcraft at least. And IIRC they did it for Diablo II as well.

5. dudalb

dudalb Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 14, 2001
    The real movement is to try to intergrate cutscenes with the actual game as much as possible...(Half Life 1 and 2 are good examples)
    to the point where they will not seem like cutscenes. Given that, I really think there will be very few FMV cutscenes in the future.
    I thought that the problem with the cutscenes in the original Jedi Knight game was that the acting was so bad....a prime problem with most FMV cutscenes.
    I think that those for the C and C series are about the best done of the FMV variety.

6. Yodas-evil-twin

Yodas-evil-twin Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 3, 2005
    I remember in Red Alert 2, the president was stressing a need for secrecy in regards to his present location, then a Canadian flag falls into view of the cameras.

I also enjoyed the hostility between Yuri and General Vladimir. When Yuri claimed that Vladimir killed thr Premier, I knew that he had staged it.

7. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    speaking of in-game cutscenes... I was pretty impressed by the beginning of Doom3 (at least the demo), where they show a ship landing - then the camera moves away to reveal it was a computer display. Nice transition. A detail, but something new (or, if not, at least not worn out). Nice one.

8. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I miss the illustrated-styled cut scenes used in Dark Forces, TIE Fighter, Sam & Max, Full Throttle, etc.

FMV cut scenes are hit and miss, and usually dependent on the acting. Though Rebel Assault 2 had some moments of bad acting, there were a few scenes I really loved (anything with Admiral Sarn and Vader, mostly).
    The FMV cut scenes for Enter the Matrix were the highlights of the game- and it really sucked when they switched to in-game scenes.

In-game cut scenes can sometimes have the advantage of seemingly flawless integration with the gameplay, but a lot of times they just come across as lazy.

9. Darth-Lando

Aug 12, 2002
    The only problem I have with pre-rendered CG cutscenes is when the game developers try to pass it off as gameplay footage in commercials and other ads.

10. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah, that does annoy me. In fcat that was what annoyed me most about 360 kiosks- most of the "demos" were just 90% pre-rendered footage, and I just wanted to see some gameplay footage.

11. arabiansanchez

arabiansanchez Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2001
    i don't tend to buy cg-intensive games at all.

12. Sith_Lords

Sith_Lords Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 17, 2004
    YES! Yes i do. Games need FMV.

13. Valkor

Valkor Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 11, 2002

best cutscenes:

Ninja Gaiden (NES) - the first and best with "Cinema cutscenes!"

Final Fantasy 7 - the revolution begins!

Metal Gear Solid - nonCG and brilliantly done

GTA3 - ""

Halo - very well done

but it all goes back to Ninja Gaiden: Tecmo 1989 presents...

14. daileyxplanet

daileyxplanet Jedi Youngling

May 21, 2005
    The only reason why they owned so much is because they are actually deleted scenes from Matrix Revolutions that the Wachowski Brothers thought would fit with the game, or vice-versa.

15. Darth-Lando

Aug 12, 2002
    Actually they were created specifically for the game, but shot at the same time as Matrix Reloaded and Revolutions.

16. daileyxplanet

daileyxplanet Jedi Youngling

May 21, 2005
    Really? Perhaps I should bite my tongue next time. Thanks for clarification.

17. Atticus

Atticus Jedi Padawan star 4

May 31, 2002
    It depends on the game. I loved the ones in Dark Forces2: Jedi Knight, but thats really the only live action ones that I think are great. My favorite cg cutscenes however go to the cutscenes in the Metal Gear Solid series. those are fantastic.

18. cbrowns4812

cbrowns4812 Jedi Master star 1

Mar 27, 2005
    The in-game engine cutscenes in Mafia (at least for the PC) were pretty exceptional.

And as a tidbit, the new FPS "Black" is said to have FMV cutscenes.

19. portman_is_so_fine

portman_is_so_fine Jedi Master star 4

Apr 28, 2002
    My favorite was Jedi Knight. That game takes me back...

20. HowardFilms

HowardFilms Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 18, 2005
    Yeah, I remember the nintendo awards for that year, when Enter the Matrix won for besty cut scenes, and the editor grumbled it wasn't hard to win if you had a full movie production devoted to the cut scenes, lol.

21. Grey1

Grey1 Host: 181st Imperial Discussion Group star 4 VIP

Nov 21, 2000
    I've heard the theory that in-game cutscenes are *better* because they do not take the player out of what's happening. With FMV sequences, you automatically revert into "movie audience mode" and forget about being the character.

While that sounds true, I don't believe you really have to identify with your character all the time to play a great game. Ever since FPS moved into third person action games (see the Jedi Kinght series, for example), I believe there is already a barrier between you and the back of that figure.

Real movies help establish the characters more deeply, in my opinion (if the acting is okay), and they are also a reward for finishing the level.

Jedi Knight is my prime example for a game that just has me story-wise. Outcast and Academy are good, but the story isn't that epic anymore. It's just a game.
    I also honestly never thought of the JK acting as bad. But then again, I do not really think of SW acting in general as bad either... I recently got Bad Mojo Redux as a present, and boy were those actors bad...

But let's be honest: Those days are over. No-one's gonna do it if there isn't a film around at the same time.
    Funny - Jedi Knight was done in the same way as ROTS (the movie), only with less developed CGI... which brings to mind the early CGI environment experiments of Babylon 5 / Crusade. [face_thinking]

22. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    and then there is Need for Speed: Most Wanted. Well, the girl was cute and the Razor person managed to make me dislike him, but... why does a racing game need people?
    eh, but luckily 90% of the cutscenes were cars only, and pretty nice, mostly. But all CG, so off-topic ;)

23. Atticus

Atticus Jedi Padawan star 4

May 31, 2002
    The mafia ones are good aswell, I forgot about that one.

24. Darth_Tynaus

Darth_Tynaus Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 22, 2003
    I loved the Final Fantasy cutscenes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.