main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Anyone NOT playing Mass Effect 3?

Discussion in 'Community' started by DarthTunick , Mar 8, 2012.

1. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    Usually the ending to a popular franchise will outrage some, delight others, and leave the majority broadly satisfied. So "OMFG this sucks" comments are typically only representative of the few who have been really disappointed. It's just they cry louder than everyone else. But... is this one of those rare cases where most people are really annoyed?

Also, is it a genuinely stupid ending - totally out of left field - or just not what everyone was expecting?

(I'm not playing the game and never will, but am just curious)

2. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    You can read about the ending(s) on Mass Effect 3's wikipedia page.

3. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    Yes I can, but since I have no investment in the story that doesn't really do the trick.

4. Mustafar_66

Mustafar_66 Force Ghost star 6

May 20, 2005
    There's just so much in there that doesn't make sense. For me personally there's one thing in particular that really throws the spanner in the works, but I can see why people are upset over other things for sure.

The only complaint I don't really get is the lack of choice come the end, when the endings of the previous two don't have that much choice either (particularly ME1).

5. Katya Jade

Katya Jade Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 19, 2002
    This article is really the best explanation for why the ending is pretty bad from a Mass Effect fan standpoint. At least, it matches my point of view.

6. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I had a friend who posted a status update cursing the ending and Bioware, followed by one declaring he'd never replay any of the games ever again, followed by one where the outrage was replaced by depression, followed by one where he slept on it and woke up profoundly pleased at the game and expressing finishing it as a true life experience.

So. Y'know.

My personal view is that the ending is just a means to get more money out of people in DLC.

7. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    There are certain things about the ending that don't make ANY sense.

8. darthhelinith

darthhelinith Force Ghost star 6

Feb 10, 2009
    My Boyfriend's just completed it and he's very dissapointed.

I think I understand where he's coming from. I mean, 3 games to end like that? Seems a strange decision in the least.
    I know if I was a mass effect fan I'd probably be ranting about it.

9. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    I haven't played the games, though I might in the future.

My friend posted a link to a blog, a month or so ago, that says Mass Effect is the game of our times because it's all about how ultimately we (and humanity in general) are irrelevant and insignificant. That the message of the first 2 games is nothing we do really matters, following Lovecraft's Cosmicism philosophy. http://www.popbioethics.com/2012/02/why-mass-effect-is-the-most-important-science-fiction-universe-of-our-generation/

Then I came here to read this thread, and the other Mass Effect thread, and apparently people are upset about the game's ending... for continuing to follow this message, which apparently made the first 2 games so revolutionary? :confused: What? Am I missing something?

Dude you don't need to post an entire thing you've linked.

10. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    Why the heck would you post the whole article?

11. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I can't read copy-and-pasted articles without bolded passages.

12. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    I was wondering if I could collect some perspective from people who have played this series.

1. Particularly Playstation owners, how disadvantaged did you feel about not having access to the first game, and how detrimental to your overall experience was it?

2. What is the balance of politics/culture/world-building sort of elements in the first versus the second or third entry in the series?

13. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    That's like asking the Amish how disadvantaged they feel not having technology.

Just get the damn first game already.

14. Katya Jade

Katya Jade Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 19, 2002
    You could play 2 and 3 and not feel 'disadvantaged' but it's a much more rich experience when you know all the history and characters.

So, I finished it and see some of the perspective of the disspointment but, overall, I thought it closed out the series well.

15. DarthXan318

DarthXan318 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 12, 2002
    Should've mentioned yesterday that that was what you're interested in! :p

There's not very much world-building in the second at all. A lot of the groundwork is laid in ME1 - what the galactic government is, what humanity's place is, how everything fits together (or doesn't fit). In ME2 you spend most of your time flying around the semi-lawless fringes of the galaxy, which has its own politics/culture/world-building aspects, but nothing on a galactic scale.

ME3 brings it all together, but if you jump straight into ME3 you'll feel rather lost, IMO.

16. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    I might've if I'd known. :p

17. Jedi-Anakin-Solo

Jedi-Anakin-Solo Force Ghost star 6

Dec 26, 2001
    I finished it this morning, and I'm still tossing it around in my head if I liked the ending or not. It' reminding me of how much I had to think of Lost's ending.

18. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    ME3 is big payout for short-term gain. TOR is big pay-out over a long period of time for long-term gain.

I pay £92 a year to run TOR, so I can pay for the game for a year for less than one month's salary pay (some charity debits and membership subsciptions cost me more than that). Certainly it's no more than buying several new games at £40 each and TOR lasts me longer.

I'm OK with a game like Force Unleashed 2 having about 6 hours of playing time when I only spent £8 on it, if I spend £40 on Mass Effect and complete in 3 days I'd be angry. For that sort of money it needs to take time to get through, if they didn't make it suitably challenging that I had to give up and come back to it a week later and play a bit more then I would consider it a waste of time were it not cheaply purchased.
    I completed the first Mass Effect in around 5 days but it cost me only £10 to buy.

19. Mustafar_66

Mustafar_66 Force Ghost star 6

May 20, 2005
    I completed the ME3 in about 40 hours on normal difficulty. Not exactly a short-term game. And that's one play through, with one character, with one set of choices, playing as a paragon. I only completed it in 3 days because I'm unemployed and hogged the tele, much to the chagrin of the missus.

20. Cobranaconda

Cobranaconda Jedi Grand Master star 7

Mar 3, 2004
    Also, Richie, considering you work(ed?) in a cinema, surely the fact that people pay nearly £15 to see a movie once when they can get it on DVD for £8 four months later proves that people often pay more for less.

21. zacparis

zacparis VIP star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 1, 2003
    Groovy RoboShep reporting in.

[image=http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7177/6971435255_94f58cbfc5_o.png]

22. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    Unless you have a 100inch TV and speakers bigger than a man you'll never replicate a cinema experience at home. People pay for the big-screen viewing experience, if they only cared about watching movies by any means they would pirate them or wait for them to be cheaper on DVD/Blu Ray.

I would gladly pay premium price to see an IMAX movie, there is nothing like it elsewhere. Fortunately I don't have to pay, but I don't think it's expensive considering what you get. Food might be, but I don't eat in cinemas much.

I will eventaully get Mass Effect 3 (although I need to play 2 first), but that's after Steam get it and they have a sale.

23. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    Steam will never have Mass Effect 3.

24. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Just let him wait.

25. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    Why wouldn't they get it? They have the first 2.

I know major retailer GAME is having trouble getting it, but that's cos the company is going bankrupt and can't get deals with distributers. Digital download is much easier than buying a disc copy which takes up space and never gets used again.