main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Anyone notice this about Darth Vader's lightsaber style in Empire and Dookue in ATOC?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by JediMasterKendo, Jun 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediMasterKendo

JediMasterKendo Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 2, 2000
    Dookue pretty much used an old school fighting style with his lightsaber with one handed attacks.

Then go pay attention in Empire Strikes back. Vader sure learned some new tricks over the years. Vader constantly used one handed lightsaber attacks on luke.

2. bibfortuitous

bibfortuitous Jedi Grand Master star 3

Oct 7, 2000
    He also used Dooku's verbal taunts to psychologically wind up his opponent between the sabre action. In fact this was a part of Dooku's influence on Anakin that I thought George would have made more of in Ep II and III.

3. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Well, it wouldn't have fit in II, maybe III...

But I do think that when Vader cuts off Luke's hand, it almost seems like there's an influence from Dooku's style.

4. bibfortuitous

Oct 7, 2000
    Why wouldn't it have fit in AOTC? We know Dooku is a Sith by this point so if that's part of his fighting style then it would work.

5. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    Where would it fit? Anakin fought Dooku for a very short amount of time before being taken out of the fight. Could he have instantly copied Dooku's tactics? We're not talking KOTOR II here...

6. bibfortuitous

Oct 7, 2000
    Well adding a bit of Dooku noising up Anakin in the same way as he did Obi-wan would have taken, what? Three seconds? It's not as if AOTC didn't have a fair amount of padding already is it? ;)

7. Darthgordon

Darthgordon Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 1, 2005
    I can definately see some of Vader's goading in ESB as being an influence from Dooku, I don't see much in the lightsaber style though. Aside from the fact that they both use a fighting style that will use both one hand or two hands there doesn't appear to be much there. Dooku uses a very graceful looking form of combat with a lot of twirling and jumping- almost like the combat style of a gentleman. Vader uses a style that is more about power and strength and not very graceful.

8. bibfortuitous

Oct 7, 2000
    Vader does have the fairly obvious handicap of being confined to his suit though. Anakin at that age if "The Duel" had never happened would probably have resembled an even more powerful version of Dooku. A scary thought.

9. Darthgordon

Darthgordon Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 1, 2005
    Vader's fighting style in OT is due mostly to his suit. He could no longer entirely fight like he did as Anakin. He had less mobility and more strength (it's also been mentioned that he had to guard his torso more than before, but since most fatal wounds would result along the head, neck and torso, I fail to see why).

I doubt that he would use Dooku's style of fighting had he never been put in the suit. Dooku's style was almost archaic and rarely used by Jedi anymore. I'm willing to bet that his fighting style would be more like it was before he was put into the suit only faster and more powerful. By age 40 he probably wouldn't even have needed a lightsaber anymore. He'd just channel enough force lighting to vaporize someone or use the Force to break every bone in someone's body (probably a little bit of an exaggeration). He would have killed Palpatine and ruled the Galaxy.

10. Minela

Minela Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 28, 2005

Oh God yes!:mad: Just imagine suitless Vader with all of Anakin's Force potential and the power of the Dark Side! :eek: :D

Luke who? He wouldn't have lived to see the day of "I AM YOUR FATHER"[face_skull]

11. Na-heela

Na-heela Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 2, 2007
    Very well observed. Totally agree. I guess we can assume that Palps knew that very well and was quite "happy" about him being literally "cut off" that much power.

12. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    He does say in the novel that Vader is "perfect" the way he is.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.