Anyone out there capable of burning a laserdisc to DVD?

Discussion in 'Kansas City, MO' started by plutoneam, Nov 5, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. plutoneam Jedi Knight

star 3
    I am sort of copying this idea from a thread from the Kentucky forum, but I think its a great idea. If anyone can, and is willing, to burn their laserdiscs to DVD for all of us. If anyone here is capable, speak up. I'll post later after I've gotten a response from someone who can. :)
  2. Laynel Jedi Knight

star 2
    What's a laserdisk?
  3. Lordstimpy Jedi Knight

star 2
    A laserdisc is a very big DVD. Its the size of a record, but the video quality little better than VHS but no way near DVD. The sould on the other hand is very close to DVD. Do a google search to find out more.
  4. DarthJurist Admin Emeritus

star 5
    I'd also suggest you take this particular topic to email or discuss at meetings, since copying movies is illegeal and therefore violates the TOS. ;)

~H~
  5. Lordstimpy Jedi Knight

star 2
    Accually copying laser disc to DVD isn't illegal if its done for archival reasons. So if your making a copy of a laserdisc you own for yourself its perfectlly legal.

6. plutoneam Jedi Knight

star 3
    Not sure exactly, but I think it's legal if you aren't making any money off it, and if the person already owns the movie. (For most of us, it'd be VHS, but I think that's okay.)
    Just an idea.
  7. Lordstimpy Jedi Knight

star 2
    Now I might be wrong, but there is the Fair Use act that came about when the VCR came about. I am not sure exactly but I think it says that as long as its for own personal use you can do what ever the heck you want with it.

Now the Digital Millinum Copyright Act states its illegal to break copy protection, but I don't think there is copy protection on laserdisks. And then this part of the act is a very gray area since in order to watch a movie your DVD player or what ever device you use needs to break the copy protection for you to view the movie.
  8. plutoneam Jedi Knight

star 3
    Lightning has just struck my brain.

I know for sure that there are some of us who alread own OT DVD that were copied from laserdiscs. I've heard several people mention it. Well, if someone here does, they could just burn those DVDs onto blank DVDs and send them to us! :)
    You can get blank DVDs really cheap; some for only a dollar for 100! They're just circular peices of plastic.
    Any takers?
  9. DarthJurist Admin Emeritus

star 5
    But this discussion is not about personal use, or personal archives, the point of this discussion is to copy DVDs/laserdiscs/whatever to give to other people. The fair use law says a person can copy for themselves, but I don't think it gives people the right to go out and distribute copies to the world. While not charging will make it less likely the police will come over and raid your den, last I heard it was still illegal.

Yes, some people own copies of the OT on DVD, but they are likely produced overseas or are bootlegs themselves.

HOWEVER, I have put the question up for discussion in the OFH, and if I'm wrong I'll readily concede, unlock this and allow discussion to continue.

~H~
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.