main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Provo Anyone out there in the Provo Area?

Discussion in 'SouthWest Region Discussion' started by Handyman, Dec 4, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Handyman

Handyman Jedi Padawan star 4

May 19, 2000
  2. Matara_Healbo

Matara_Healbo Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 17, 2000
    Well I'm some what close to Provo. I just have to hop onto Bangater or 215 and meet up at I 15 and I'll be their in a short 45 minutes. How many of you are glad that most of the construction is finally over with?

3. DarthJago

DarthJago Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 15, 2000
    Yeah it will be nice when construction is over. So is everyone still alive?

4. Matara_Healbo

Nov 17, 2000
    But you forget once construction is over we get tourist season for a few weeks. Oh and then we'll be back to more construction. Don't you love Utah's seasons. Winter and construction. Ya have to love this state.

5. andakin

andakin Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 8, 2000
    Did anybody else pick up the new book Darth Maul: Shadow Hunter? It's 45% off at Media play. It's actually quite good so far. A bit frightening. But well-written.
    Anybody know of a place where we could meet for fanforce?

6. Handyman

May 19, 2000
    Greetings Everyone,

I actually picked up the Audio CD version of "Darth Maul:Shadow Hunter." I've listened to about half of the CD's and so far I really like the story. Very suspenseful and not predictable at all.

If we get enough people interested in a Provo/Orem chapter of Fanforce, I can arange for a place to meet. ;-)

7. Matara_Healbo

Nov 17, 2000
    I picked up my Shadow Hunter at Costco, then I look in the add for Media Play and see it cheeper. I guess I can't have everything right? I'm only on Chapter four I think. I can't read it until I finish a book for my friends book club, our first meeting is on the 24 so I don't have much time. The book is Daughter of the Forest. I don't know if any of you really care or not. If you have read it please tell me it's gets better. Yes it is good but I just can't get into it.

8. DarthJago

Nov 15, 2000
    Greetings Handyman

So how many people are interested currently, and how many more do we need?

9. Handyman

May 19, 2000
    Greetings DarthJago,

I've got about 5-7 people who would be there for sure if we started a chapter of fanforce.

I'd like to try and build up a little more interest before we actually try to hold a meeting.

Did you finish "Shadow Hunter" yet? ;-)

10. Joanzia

Joanzia Former FF Staff star 3 VIP

Oct 18, 2000
    Hi there Utah!! I am the FanForce Southwest Regional Support Admin. It looks like ya'll are doing great with your forum so far!! If you get a FanForce chapter started, I will be helping you obtain "Official Status". There will be a few requirements that you will need to fulfill before becoming official. But they are easy to fulfill!!! :) And after that, your chapter is yours to run in a way that is best for it and for it's members. :)

Handyman, of course this is up to you and the others, but I think that five members is a great start already. My group in Lubbock only has five members. And other groups only started with three and have worked themselves up to 10 to 12. Once you get started with your meetings, others will find you...especially when the trailer comes out. At that time more people will come out from places you've never heard of.. :) You'll probably be crawling with members!!

In fact, it might be helpful to go ahead and get started so that when the trailer does come out, you will have a stable foundation to your chapter. You will be able to tell any newcomers..."this is what we are all about, we would be honored for you to join us." :)

These are the requirements that will need to be fulfilled in order to become official...

1) Get to know everyone posting in the forums for your respective cities. Maintaining a strong presence on the forums is vital!

2) Start planning group activities and meeting with each other! Communities are not built over the internet alone!

3) [IMPORTANT] Your city group must plan and execute three events or activities and have advance notice of each posted on the FanForce Headlines/Main page. We want you guys to build grassroots, self-contained clubs that actually do more than just chat on the forums all the time! Network with your fellow fans! Without the completion of this particular guideline, consideration cannot be given. Please email us at fanforce@theforce.net with info about your meetings and events.

4) Choose one individual to represent your organization to FanForce. This person will work directly with a FanForce Regional Support Administrator to help you plan out activities, interface with charities, gather sponsors (if and when necessary) and address all issues and concerns regarding FanForce and TheForce.Net in general. Please see the FAQ page for the responsibilities of a city rep. http://fanforce.net/fanforce_faq.shtml

If you have any questions, please feel free to email me.

joanzia@theforceiswithus.com or joanzia@fanforce.net

Good Luck with your chapter!!! And MAY THE FORCE BE WITH YOU!!!

11. Matara_Healbo

Nov 17, 2000
    I haven't finished Shadow Hunter yet because I'm still reading a book for my friends books club. We meet this Saturday for the first time. But once I finish that book either tonight or tomorrow I will pick up Shadow Hunter once again.

12. DarthJago

Nov 15, 2000
    I'm probably going to get Shadow Hunter soon. I saw it when I was at the BYU bookstore with my dad and my uncle, but we were in a rush so I couldn't look at it that much or anything. But it looked pretty cool.

13. Handyman

May 19, 2000
    Joanzia:
    Thanks for the encouragement. Maybe we will get started soon.

If anyone here is interested, here's a local event that's going to take place soon...

On Saturday, March 3, at around 6:00pm, some fellow Star Wars fans and I will be crashing a birthday party held at an Elementary school in Orem. All of us will be dressed in Star Wars costumes. We would be honored if any of you would like to join us. It might be a good chance for us to meet face to face.

I can supply the costumes. I own a large collection of authentic Star Wars costumes including 6 suits of Stormtrooper armor. You can see a few photos of my costumes at http://starwars.8m.com

If anyone is interested in helping out with this great Star Wars party, please E-mail me at mike@tombofthejedi.com

14. Matara_Healbo

Nov 17, 2000
    I would love to go and everything but I have like 3 weddings to set up for that weekend. March is not exactly a relaxing month for my family.

15. andakin

Dec 8, 2000
    Well, I have a fairly decent Darth Vader costume. Nothing of the caliber of the one Handyman has, but intimidating to kids, and good enough for me. I'm about 6'2"
    I'm only in 9th grade, though, and I don't know if I could catch a ride to somewhere across town. What school would it be at? And would they be angry when you guys came? I live up by the old Word Perfect buildings.
    I finished Shadow Hunter on my trip to Florida 2 weeks ago. Very, very unpredictable, and the end is heartstoppingly suspenseful. Captured the feel of Star Wars well, and the droid is a riot! Maybe he'll return sometime??? I don't want to give away the ending, but it is incredibly.... wow. Just read it.
    What's with LucasArts recent lack of support for the Mac? Anybody know?
    Anybody seen Duality?

16. Coolguy4522

Coolguy4522 Jedi Youngling star 4

Dec 21, 2000
    Just wanted to say that I will be in the SLC area soon.

17. andakin

Dec 8, 2000
    Cool!
    We have 4522 coolguys? Whoah.

18. spoo

spoo Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 16, 2001
    I'll be here in Provo in September (well, August 28th)
    I'm REALLY looking foreward to getting some fanfilmsing/otehr fun stuff underway!
    Since I won't really know anyone moving in it'd be cool to just get together & hang out. Wait, I'll know ONE person (my older sister, already at BYU. She's a SUPER SW freak, she'd love to come)

Maybe even watch the old movies (geez, I don't think I've seen them in 3 years!!!)

Whatever happens (Handyman, if you need anyone to crash anymore parties, PM me!) I'd like to be part of it just to have something to do.

Get in touch with me guys (preferrably email, I doubt I'll be back to this section of the boards too soon).

P.S. Hey Handyman, how did hte Stormtrooper crash go? =)
    I can just picture the freaked out looks on teh little kids' faces....

19. stevebinch

stevebinch Jedi Youngling

May 7, 2001
    I too am in Orem. We don't have any film or design dudes here do we? I want to make a short film based on Star Wars using flash. I anticipate it will be a pretty big project. Let me know if we got any interested. binch@nofx.com

20. Handyman

May 19, 2000
    Greetings Everybody,

Well the crashing of the party went great! It took place at Cascade Elementary here in Orem.

If you want to see some pictures from the event, check out http://www.tombofthejedi.com/party

Enjoy!

21. Handyman

May 19, 2000
    Greetings Steve Binch,

We are currently in production of a live action Star Wars fanfilm here in Orem called "Tomb of the Jedi." You can check out our webpage at http://www.tombofthejedi.com

There are PLENTY of people around who would love to help you with your flash movie.

Later,

22. THEBLINDMAN2

THEBLINDMAN2 Jedi Youngling

May 7, 2001
    I live in orem and in russia!!!!

23. Chancellor Fortuna

Chancellor Fortuna Jedi Master

Mar 23, 1999
    Hi--I live in Provo, recently graduated from BYU.
    I used to frequent these boards during the summer of 1999--I was just checking out a bunch of the fan films and decided to come over here and see what it looks like.
    There's been some major changes on the boards, it looks like. I kind of wanted to post just to see what my icon looks like.
    There used to be a group out here--we even got together over labor day 1999 to see TPM at Wynnsong. Shortly after that, I concentrated on school and stuff and quit coming over here. Anyway--
    My e-mail address is [removed 8 December 2007], if you want to let me know about doing something or anything.
    Later-

24. DarthJago

Nov 15, 2000
    Sweet. Sounds like a bunch more people have posted here.

25. spoo

spoo Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 16, 2001
    Yeah, people make groups a whole lot better =)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.