main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Anyone read dehrian's TF.N editorial?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by jedi_master_ousley, Aug 23, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2002
    I think is a great editorial, and I think it's time to post it. Here's the link.

HOPELESS, ANEW
    Early on in the new Star Wars film, one quickly realizes that, in twenty-two years, George Lucas still hasn't learned to write dialogue. Whether this will affect a person's ability to enjoy A New Hope, or the individual in question has already been pre-conditioned to accept a universe where people say things such as "I've got a bad feeling about this" with aplomb, is something everyone will have to decide for themselves.

Our story picks up twenty years after the events of the previous trilogy. Young farm boy Luke Skywalker (Mark Hamill) dreams of adventure among the stars, going so far as to pilot a toy ship around the shop the way young boys have been doing in bedrooms and backyards across America for the past twenty years. Even little Anakin wasn't so far gone in the original Star Wars. He, of course, didn't need to pretend. He had the real thing out in his backyard: a podracer. That podracer is sadly missing in this film, but more on that later.

Two droids (the familiar and fan-friendly R2-D2 and C-3PO) have escaped the evil Empire (managing a lot better than all the Jedi could, apparently) with the plans to an awesome space station called the Death Star. As the familiar opening scroll tells us, this space station has the ability to destroy an entire planet; which we witness up close and personally. And if parents have any qualms about taking their children to see this movie, this element will doubtlessly be the deciding factor. Though we do see an entire planet blown up, it is not exactly in gory detail. Michael Bay doubtlessly would have shown close-ups of the citizens cowering as the evil ray burrowed through the sky, burning a path through the clouds, into the earth, and slowly, chaotically obliterating all life. Die-hard fans of the original trilogy will doubtlessly be missing said close-ups, as it would provide one last glimpse at familiar faces. But, thankfully, Lucas spares us this ultimate sadness, which is perhaps just as well. This is not your father's Star Wars movie. On the other hand, the fact that an entire planet is destroyed certainly qualifies this film as having the highest body count in film history, and is something that parents should keep in mind.

On the technical side, there is very little here that sustains the tension or impressive duality of the original trilogy. There is no podrace. The geriatric lightsaber duel is so slow and tedious that fans will likely be squirming in their seats, longing for the good old days of Darth Maul. The vocal barbs that Darth Vader and Obi-Wan (oh, I'm sorry, Ben) Kenobi hurl at each other during their anti-climactic duel carry more weight than any swing of the saber.

The performances are sadly lacking in the film as well. Carrie Fisher as Princess Leia, coming off as a combination of a short Katie Holmes with a Janet Reno attitude, does a fine job, but anyone looking to deck whiny Luke Skywalker will likely be forgiven. As Ben Kenobi, Alec Guinness, not even trying to sound like Ewan MacGergor, also turns in the standard work we've come to expect from him over the years, but for him this performance is merely adequate. His late entrance and quick departure from the film is also odd, considering the character's strong presence in the original trilogy. It's as if Lucas were deliberately trying to distance himself from those films to the point of erasing everybody.

Gone is Yoda. Don't even bother to search for him. He isn't here. Gone is Jar Jar. Instead we get something even worse, a large, shaggy "walking carpet" named Chewbacca who barks in a language only Dr. Doolittle could understand. You'll long for the days of Jar Jar's broken English. Gone is the Emperor himself: he is only once vaguely referred to in passing. Gone, also, is Amidala, and her absence, nor very existence, is ever once referred to. Nor is the fact that Luke and Leia are byproducts of the big

2. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    Read it. Love it. :D

Early on in the new Star Wars film, one quickly realizes that, in twenty-two years, George Lucas still hasn't learned to write dialogue.
    remains my favorite part... heh heh heh... don't worry George I still love ya :p

Rick McCallum loves you!

3. Iron_Fist

Iron_Fist Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 30, 2003
    Sadly, I have to agree... [face_plain] 8-}

4. jedi_master_ousley

Jun 14, 2002
    I've always said that if the movies were done the other way around with the exact same things in them, people would love the PT and bash the OT. (Or in this case the OT and the ST). It doesn't matter which order they're in, people would complain about it all.

5. metaforcesaber

metaforcesaber Jedi Master star 2

Oct 13, 2002
    Ohhhh no ya don't! I already got myself in trouble in Go-Mer's thread. [face_mischief]

I'll just say this: "he's more machine now than man; twisted and evil."

6. jedi_master_ousley

Jun 14, 2002
    Don't worry, I'm not bashing the OT, I'm just commenting the irony of the situation, and how well the editorial portrayed how people would act if the films were released in order.

7. metaforcesaber

metaforcesaber Jedi Master star 2

Oct 13, 2002
    I see it like this: George is a sharp cat, and possesses an immensely creative mind. Therefore, all Star Wars films have the potential to grip your imagination like very very few others. Unparalleled for some folks. And uh, I'll just stop there.

:)

8. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    One point. ANH was intended to stand alone, and Lucas didn't expect to be able to make other Star Wars movies if ANH flopped. I think it's safe to say that if the PT had come first and ANH had been made in context of the previous trilogy, it would have been a very different movie.

I agree with much of what dehrian says, though. In some aspects, ANH is thoroughly lackluster compared to all four other movies we now have.

9. jedi_master_ousley

Jun 14, 2002
    In some aspects, ANH is thoroughly lackluster compared to all four other movies we now have.

Which is exactly how many people look at TPM compared to the OT. That's what's funny about the whole thing.

I definitely agree with you that ANH would have been a lot different in relation to the PT (which would be OT) if the films were made in order.

10. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    Heh, nice satire :)

11. jedi_master_ousley

Jun 14, 2002
  12. Latorski

Latorski Jedi Master star 4

Dec 14, 2002
    very nice :)

(Makes you wonder if future generations watching the saga in order will really feel that way.)

13. Go-Mer-Tonic

Go-Mer-Tonic Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 22, 1999
    Don't tell anyone in that other thread, but I love the classic trilogy. :)

This editorial is very well done.

14. kingthlayer

kingthlayer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 7, 2003
    Wow, that certainly was a change of perspective. Very interesting.

15. JediHobbit

JediHobbit Jedi Master star 5

Mar 2, 2002
    On the other hand, the fact that an entire planet is destroyed certainly qualifies this film as having the highest body count in film history, and is something that parents should keep in mind.

lol [face_laugh]

My preciousss...

16. Kinobe

Kinobe Jedi Master star 4

Apr 27, 2003
    love this line:

As Ben Kenobi, Alec Guinness, not even trying to sound like Ewan MacGergor...

:D

Who's Ewan MacGergor tho? [face_mischief]

17. DarthTerrious

DarthTerrious Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 16, 2001
    Who's Ewan MacGergor tho?

Evil clone of Ewan McGregor? :p

18. Lightsabre

Lightsabre Fan Force Founder star 4 VIP

Nov 12, 1999
    The amount of emotion a person takes away is equal only to the amount he puts in, and, in this day and age, we may all either be too jaded or perhaps are expecting too much to be anything but disappointed...

Your own expectations can be your worst enemy. Especially for those of us that grew up with SW. What a feat it is for George to entertain and fulfill us now as well as attract younger generations. Things are different today then they were then, on so many levels.

The one thing that's blindingly clear from Dehrian's editiorial, Star Wars will withstand the test of time. I'm of the opinion that Lucas forgot that a bit, and tried to do too much. Therefore, if anything had to suffer admidst a sea of CGI, it's was the story.

I wouldn't care if I saw another CGI effect in EP III. Give me more depth from the character level and capture my imagination again.

19. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    LoL! nice viewpoint in that... scarily true in many ways... and, no offense to George or anyone, but the dialogue line in there is the best of them of all. SW isn't exactly known for its great dialogue... ;)

20. Darth_Sillyname

Darth_Sillyname Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 7, 2000
    It's a bit pointless, isn't it?
    If ANH were made after the PT it would have been VERY different.

ANH was supposed to be stand alone. It's also a perfect first episode, but not a good fourth episode. It simply wasn't made to be a fourth episode, despite the 'episode 4' added to the title later.

If ANH was done after the PT the effects would be different, so that bit doesn't make sense at all.

But the editorial does make it once again clear (to me at least) that if Lucas reveals that Anakin=Vader and that Luke and Leia are brother and sister it will look weird.
    The OT is set up to keep these things a secret, and to have the audiance follow the characters on their journey (surprises and revelations included).
    Revealing these things in the PT is like explaining it all in the opening scroll of ANH and then not mentioning them ever again until the characters figure it all out. It would be weird and would ignore the way the OT is told (even if we already know the surprises).
    It would be one more reason for me to watch the PT after the OT and keep ANH as the first SW episode to watch.

21. Indigo_Jade

Indigo_Jade Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2002
    I know that when my kids are old enough to "understand" Star Wars (as I already "make" them watch it, even at 2 and 1) I will be showing them the OT first, and then the PT. The OT won't make much sense once the PT is done, all that tension will be gone once you know who Anakin Skywalker et all are.

22. Go-Mer-Tonic

Go-Mer-Tonic Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 22, 1999
    I think it will still be better viewed 1-6 in proper order for the first time viewer.

23. Emperor_Billy_Bob

Emperor_Billy_Bob Jedi Grand Master star 7

Aug 9, 2000
    I would give anything to be able to watch the movie for the first time again.

24. Herman Snerd

Herman Snerd Jedi Master star 6

Oct 31, 1999
    I would give anything to be able to watch the movie for the first time again.

Oh that's so true.

25. jedi_master_ousley

Jun 14, 2002
    I completely agree. The first time I saw the Classic Trilogy it was ruined by the person I was watching it with. "Ohh, this is the scene where Vader tells Luke that he's his dad!" "The Hoth Battle is boring." stuff like that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.