main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Anyone read Star Wars Chronicles : The Prequels yet ?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Dark_Sage, Nov 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dark_Sage

Dark_Sage Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 4, 2005
    Anyone read it yet. If you have read it I would like to know if it is any good, what sort of things it covers and is it worth the money. I am thinking of buying it but I know it is quite expensive so I only want to buy it if it is worth my money. So if u have read it can you plz tell me if it is any good and if it is worth buying. Thanks.

2. finkman

finkman Jedi Master star 1

Apr 10, 2003
    Haven't read it, but it IS out. A little (non-chain) bookstore near my office had 2 copies today. Unfortunately, they were both shrink-wrapped, so I couldn't check it out...

3. tomandshell

tomandshell Jedi Youngling

Mar 31, 2005
    UPS is delivering my copy some time on Wednesday. I'll let you know what I think of it after I get a chance to look through it! In some ways I expect it to surpass the original, since all of the materials were probably more readily available due to the smaller gap between film and book release. On the other hand, the prequels won't have as many props and models to show off since so much was done through the use of CGI. We'll see...

4. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004
    I got it today and will review it when I looked through it!

5. jawajames

jawajames Former RSA // stawars.com contributor star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP

Apr 26, 2002
    actually, ILM contributed quite a bit of prop shots of CGI models, often showing off different views of various digital objects as if they were real models. ever wondered what the underside of a SPHA-T looks like? ILM rendered it and images were taken for the book.

6. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004
    I have no working scanner but I can do digicam fotos. quality isn´t best but will suffice. so post requests what you want to see. I will do them tomorrow or this weekend then.

my review sofar: great book!

details follow soon

7. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002

What is it?

8. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004
    Here my Review:

The structure of the book is the same like the old OT Chronicles book.
    This book as awesome pictures, though it is a thick book, some stuff is only covered on 1 page but would have needed more. The Tantive IV for example only gets small pictures instead of big ones! And I am not sure if some lengths given for the ships are accurate with EU. The Tantive IV is stated being 125m long, but I remember WEG and other sources telling it is 150m long! Also Darth Maul is listed as 1,75m tall. Ray Parck, his actor was 1,82m tall, and that was Mauls heigth in the starwars.com databank as well. Aside from that I found no inconsistencies yet. The book covers nearly everything fans want, though I have to admit, after having read it, I still feel like I need/want much more. The Prequels were so huge in detail, even more detailed with background stuff than the OT ever was at its time. And the OT was huge already! So I feel like they could have done the book in double its size without any problems. We see less planet environments, but most of the time we see the ships and characters from background and foreground. Another thing that I discovered was something you´ll live for sure. This book gives some names or classes to previously unclassed ships from the background. Speeders and Spaceships, 3-5 new ones if I recall the number right. Also great is the ammount of info given by the text beside the pictures. Lots of EU info in that! F.e. on Hutt physiology including Hutt bone structure picture and other stuff.

All in all this is a great book and a must have if one can afford the price. I preordered and got it for 98 Euro here in Germany. And the price will go up by 30 Euro somewhere in December. Then it will cost nearly 130 Euro. So better buy it now or let your parents present you with it for Xmas.

my Rating of the Book: 9/10

But some notes: If you want the full kick, then buy not only the Chronicles but also the 360° Worlds of Star Wars and the Costume Book by Trish Biggar. With these 3 together, you really have a complete overview. I still miss the Costume Book, though, not for long, I hope.

And now to more spoilers for you:

Some dates from the huge (3-4 pages) timeline within the Chronicles II the Prequels:

(not all dates, only some I thought of as worth mentioning! most is already known through the new chron or other sources)

30000 Begin of the Rakatan Empire

25200 End of the Rakatan Empire

25000 Corellian Run and Perlemian discovered

17000 First Alsakan Crisis

5500 Rimma Trade Route established

4000 Battle of Basilisk

3000 Hydian Way established

292 Chuuntor crashes on Dathomir

18 Eye of Palpatine ordered

7 Falleen Catastrophe

Then some other spoilers:

The human looking head statues on Naboo, that are revered by the Gungans as their Gods, are in fact an alien race that journeyed to Naboo many thousands of years before the Grizmalt colonists arived. Archeologists are not sure when or how this happened.

my own speculation on this: The heads look human, but the eyes look alien, more like Duros eyes. Maybe Duro and Corellian people when discovering Hyperspace in earliest time were lost in Hyperspace and came out near Naboo, they colonised it and were like gods to the primitive Gungans back then. When they vanished again, either leaving with starships or being wiped out by rebellious Gungans, later generations pictured these gods in huge stone statues. But because they consisted of humans AND Duros, both looks were mixed by the primitives into these headstatues with human heads and duros eyes. thoughts?

Some headshots of the Lost 20 Statues in the Jedi archive are given, one is the same species as Yoda! Another is the same species as another Jedi Council member.

A picture of the computer screen on one table in the Jedi Archive shows a nice sectormap of the sector where Kamino has to be in. It is the Rishi Maze it seems and the planet dots are connected by lines indicating hyperlanes. Though one cannot read the very small names, we clearly see the se

9. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    Hutts don't have bones...

10. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004
    according to the Chronicles, they have! you get to see their full bone structure in artwork

11. Rogan_Agar

Rogan_Agar Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 1, 2004
    It is damn great. I got it today (German Version, number 3223 out of 4000).

Just went fast through it to get an overview.

I haven't the original Chronicles yet (I only had a chance to look at them once), but the Prequel Chronicles seem to have the similar structure.

All characters, ships, props, worlds etc are listed in their order of appearance.

I almost feared the book would be only CGI pictures and screenshots from the films. Thanks God those fears were all unjustified.

There are tons of previously unreleased photos of props, costumes and characters.

There are many behind the scenes photos, too.

I will start to read it tonight, but I am really impressed.

Now all I have to get is the first part, which is sadly quiet expansive.

12. Dark_Sage

Apr 4, 2005
    K thanks. Hopefully ill be able to get it for my birthday in May. Cant wait. Sounds like an awesome book.

13. JacenSolo132

JacenSolo132 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 10, 2005
    Can anyone tell me why the Star Wars: Prequel Chronicles is so expensive (listed as 143 Euro on amazon.de)??? The New Essential Chronology only costs 19,95 Euro and there's a lot of great stuff in it, too. So please spoil me, what's in it what the essential chronology doesn't cover?

14. Svebor

Svebor Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 13, 2005
    Anyone read Star Wars Chronicles : The Prequels yet ?

I ordered it from amazon.com, and I'm still witing for it. Yeah, it is expensive, but it's worth it.

15. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004
    chronicles is not the same as the essential guides or chron!

and it got lots new EU info in its text next to the pictures:

f.e. it tells us lots more about the alderaanian ROTS characters, and reveals the parents of Winter, Leias best friend in later EU!!! Sheltay Retrac and an Alderaanian artist are the parents of Winter, she was born 1 year before ROTS and Sheltay recently returned from her giving birth to serve Bail Organa in ROTS. Also Raymus Antilles is said to be the brother of Queen Breha Antilles-Organa. He and cpt Colton, share piloting the Tantive IV, which originally was named "Star of Alderaan" but was renamed in honor to diplomats from the Tantive system. Cpt colton is Raymus' mentor and will retire shortly after ROTS to teach at the Aldera University. In honor of him raymus named his son colton antilles, the later cpt of the blockade runner that does in ANH! also it states that queen breha was minister for education at the same time she was queen. the royal line of alderaan has nothing to do with its democracy, except for the political engagement of their heirs. it is more like britain with the royals participating but playing no mayor role.

lots more than that in it!

16. Dark_Sage

Apr 4, 2005
    Does anyone know y it is such a ridiculous price ?

17. JacenSolo132

JacenSolo132 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 10, 2005
    Thanks! Sounds very good, but still too expensive. I can buy 20 novels for the same prize. I'm relatively new to chronicles, artbooks and stuff like that.
    But, hey, yesterday I've bought my 100th Star Wars novel. But much to learn, I still have. :D

18. Dark_Sage

Apr 4, 2005
    Cerian Harmony can you plz scan sum of the pages from the Revenge Of The Sith section of the book. Thanks

19. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004
    I will post fotos and spoilers for all people out there who can´t afford the price ;)

20. Rogan_Agar

Rogan_Agar Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 1, 2004
    Well it is expensive, but once you hold it, you know why.

The illustrated chronology costs 29,90 Euro at amazon.de and it only has 130 pages.

Now the CHRONICLES have more than 320 pages filled with best quality photographs and previously unreleased ones.

The book is limited to a number of 4000 (the German version of it). And it has tons of additional information from the GFFA and behind the scenes.

Take a look at amazon.de. They sell it for 98 Euro until late december. And I tell you it IS worth the money!

21. Rogue_Follower

Nov 12, 2003
    Are Winter's parents pictured, or just mentioned? If so, is the mother a blonde?

[face_thinking]

22. kmericle

kmericle Jedi Youngling

Jan 9, 2005
    I have it on it's way from Amazon. I know it's alot of money, but I couldn't bring myself not to buy it. One question though - is it pretty thorough with pictures of the clonetroopers from AOTC and ROTS?

23. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998

Thank you!!! I've been waiting for this ever since reading the ROTJ novel for the first time!!!!!

Sheltay Retrac Is definetly not blonde, so I guess Winter got it from her father's side.

24. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004
    her mother is brownhaired, bails aide from ROTS! the movie. she is pictured, the father is just mentioned.

25. Rogue_Follower

Nov 12, 2003
    Rats! Then we still have a mistery blonde woman that took the place of the queen in the RotS GBA game.

[face_thinking]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.