main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Anyone remember the early rumours that Kenneth Branagh would play Obi-Wan Kenobi?!

Discussion in 'Archive: The Phantom Menace' started by The Gatherer, Jul 16, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. J-Solo

J-Solo Jedi Master star 4

Oct 6, 1999
    Oh man, Branagh could've helped with the script too!

AND the directing as well! :)

Branagh is great. I love Ewan, but I think Branagh would be more like the original Obi-Wan, Sir Alec Guinness.

2. Loco_for_Lucas

Loco_for_Lucas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 15, 2002
    Oh, definately.

I could see Branagh giving the character the regal elegance and dignity that was so eloquently brought by Sir Alec.

3. J-Solo

Oct 6, 1999
    To be or not to be?

[image=http://www.cinemagia.hpg.ig.com.br/to_be.jpg]

4. J-Solo

Oct 6, 1999
    double post...

5. Oakessteve

Oakessteve Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 9, 1999
    AdamBertocci, I'm not in the habit of making these types of statements, but from the little I saw of that fan film, it has to be one of the most insensitive things I have ever seen. The events portrayed in Conspiracy where based on something that actually did happen, a terrible moment in history, and they shouldn't be trivialised like that, and made 'Star Warsie'. Perhaps I'm overreacting, but I think that is absolutely terrible.

6. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    Well... having not seen the fan film since February, and having never actually seen the Branagh film (but I am familiar with the history/significance of the Wannsee meeting), let me try and defend the filmmakers. (For their intention. The film itself had some problems IMHO.)

I've talked to 'em on the boards - they seem like nice people. I don't think they're the types who would want to do something insensitive.

As I understand their film, they were trying to bring home the seriousness of the Empire we see in SW, what evil existed behind the action sequences and stormtrooper fights we get in the movies -- mass murders, slavery, genocide, what have you.
    (EDIT: And, in turn, get SW, which we are all so fond of, to perhaps make us think a little more about the tragic atrocities committed in the time of Nazi Germany, in much the same way as SW tries to sneak in more generalized moral lessons.)
    In ANH, the destruction of an entire planet is (compared to what COULD have been shown if Lucas was so inclined) nearly swept under the rug. In putting the Branagh-Tucci film in the context of the SW universe, I feel that the Conspiracy fan filmmakers were trying to do something different with an SW film. Not a simple saber duel, like too many fan films out there, but something dialogue-heavy, serious and with a moral.

I'm sure that if they didn't understand the seriousness and gravity of the Wannsee conference / Final Solution, the Branagh-Tucci film wouldn't have meant enough to them to want to make a fan film of it anyway.

And let's not forget that the Empire has been compared to the Nazi movement more than once in more mainstream media to begin with.

If it didn't pan out right to you, then it didn't, but I hope you don't think they'd INTENDED to trivialize the Holocaust (nor that I intended to trivialize it by plugging their film with the link).

Rick McCallum loves you!

7. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    I think Kenneth would have been great at portraying the same Obi-Wan we see in the OT, but honestly, I don't think that's what the PT needed. I think the PT needed someone who could portray how Obi-Wan became the man we see in the OT, and I think Ewan's the perfect choice for that.

-sj loves kevin spacey

8. Heavenly_Angel

Heavenly_Angel Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 29, 2003
    Ewan McGregor is so much better than him! he's like the perfect one for this role.

9. Skywalker_Vader2be

Skywalker_Vader2be Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 25, 2003
    Kenneth Branagh as in the guy who played Gilderoy Lockhart in Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets? Um, I think Ewan is way better than.

10. Koohii

Koohii Jedi Master star 5

May 30, 2003
    The original casting for ObiWan was Toshiro Mifune, star of Kurosawa's samurai movies. Wizer heads pointed out to Lucas that he was too expensive, and the accent would have been a problem. So Alec Guiness was cast.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.