main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Anyone remember this game?

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by _Sublime_Skywalker_, Jul 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. _Sublime_Skywalker_

_Sublime_Skywalker_ Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2004
    I've been looking for a certain game for awhile. It came out in about, '93, '94 maybe. It was on NES and Sega. It was a game where you played as 3 frogs, it had horrible 90's rock instrumental music, and you usually like rode "boogey boards" and really bad hover scooters.

Thats all I remember about it, but it was a good game...

2. DocRevan

DocRevan Jedi Youngling star 1

May 1, 2008
    Uh, Battletoads, maybe?

3. _Sublime_Skywalker_

May 8, 2004
    Yes! That was totally it!

Thanks DR!

4. DocRevan

May 1, 2008
    You're welcome! [face_peace]

I remember Battletoads as the guys who totally looked like the turtles, but weren't.

5. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    Zitz was my favourite.

6. _Sublime_Skywalker_

May 8, 2004
    My favorite was the one with the sunglasses who looked ultra badass. I can't remember his name for the life of me.

I remember there was also a sequel to the game, with Double Dragon. That was a sick game too.

7. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    Rash is who you're thinking of. Battletoads/Double Dragon was great but so freakin hard.

8. Sabre_11

Sabre_11 Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 1, 2005
    Here comes the nostalgia...

[image=http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/5/5c/BattletoadsNESTitle.png/250px-BattletoadsNESTitle.png]

[image=http://www.rareshooters.com/specials/images/battletoads01.gif]

[image=http://www.videogamecritic.net/images/nes/battletoads.gif]

Not really sure why I grabbed the pics, but its the first time I've heard someone mention Battletoads in a long long time.

9. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    It's a great game- and the music was great (DO.DO.DO. dunn...nunnunnununnahnunaahhh)

It's also one of the more famous "where's the game genie?" ****ing hard games of all time. I can guarantee you 99.9% of the people who played it (which would be a lot, given it was a huge hit) never beat the third level with the speeder bikes. And the .1% who could could never do it in co-op because player two would not be in that percentile ;)

Using Game Genie to skip to the next levels showed you how hard the game was, though. That last tower level was dizzying and rather impressive visually for a NES game.

That said, people played the hell out of those first two levels. It was always fun to discover the various things you could do in the game- pick up the leg of an enemy and use it as a weapon, hop a ride on the flying enemies and use them as a fire-shooting mount, etc. And when that got boring you could just turn on your partner and beat the crap out of him instead (it was quite rare to have co=op modes where you could damage one another). Great variety in game play, from the standard side-scroller levels, to the boss POV battles to the vertical rope scaling levels to the vehicle levels.

It was the start of Rare's greatness in that decade. People have been waiting for a sequel for some time, I'm rather surprised there hasn't been one.

10. DocRevan

May 1, 2008
    It was a Rarweware game? No way!

11. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
  12. adx

adx Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 27, 2007
    Didn't they have a tv show dedicated to these guys as well?

13. _Sublime_Skywalker_

May 8, 2004
    Wow, I loved this level! Slowly scaling down with the ropes, and those damn crows that would fly at you! This was one of my most played Sega games. Oh, and I was part of that .1% that made it past the third level, luckily. The speeder bikes were so badass at that time. My Sega is on it's last limb for sure, and every used game store I've went to doesn't carry this game. It's made me so nostalgic just thinking about it.

Also, the sega game where you were an armidillo, with blue armour and a boomerange sword. That was a great game too.

14. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    They made it a lot easier on the Sega. The NES version was the impossible one.

15. Sabre_11

Sabre_11 Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 1, 2005
    I had the Sega version, but I dont think I ever finished the game. I'm not really sure, given I cant even remember how old I was at the time I was playing this game.

And from what I remember about the cartoon of the same name, it never really got past the pilot in terms of being on television, and was just a show trying to capitalise on the uber popularity of TMNT at the time.

16. Katana_Geldar

Katana_Geldar Jedi Grand Master star 8

Mar 3, 2003
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battletoads

Here's the wikipedia page, apparently there WERE sequels Quest

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.