main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

DFW, TX Anyone running the SW RPG?

Discussion in 'MidSouth Regional Discussion' started by Nabooty_Call, Dec 29, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JarvisW

JarvisW Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 21, 2000
    I'm sure thats fine with they others. I dont mind. (Ewwwwwww a girl!)

As for an online game, I'm in the SW combine: http://www.swcombine.com/about.htm

Its not finished yet but the role play is cool. Its all done on Bboards so it's a little better than just e-mail. If you have any questions feel free to PM me.

MTFBWY!

2. THX_Jedi

THX_Jedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 18, 2000
    You don't have cooties do you? ;)

Hey...the more the merrier. I think we're planning yo play this Sat. like posted above. Jarvis, Nabooty, Kurgan and I are ready to go.

Let us know if you can make it this Sat. We may end up rescheduling...who knows.

3. Nabooty_Call

Nabooty_Call Former RSA / Obi-Wan Impersonator star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 11, 2000
    Hello All--
    So what characters does everyone want to run?

4. JarvisW

Nov 21, 2000
    I was waiting to see what anyone else was gonna say but sense noone has answered...

Wookie
    Minor Jedi or prehaps Failed Jedi
    or Smuggler

I'll take anything but would prefer those three.

If anyone wants one of those listed then feel free to take it and I'll use one of the others :)

MTFBWY!

5. Nabooty_Call

Sep 11, 2000
    I was looking at either the Failed Jedi or Bounty Hunter from the core book.

Also have the Heroes & Rogues supplement with several good templates, like Professional Bodyguard, Interstellar Transient, Outlaw Tech, etc.

Leaning towards Failed Jedi or Professional Bodyguard.

6. jedimiss

jedimiss Jedi Youngling

Nov 18, 2000
    Uh oh! this sounds so complicated. Jedi Mistress has never done this before. Could someone give me an over view via e-mail???

If I do come, I'm bringing food. I hate to have everyone play on an empty stomach!

And yes...I do have cooties!!!!

7. Sirikus_Willowbend

Sirikus_Willowbend Jedi Youngling

Dec 17, 2000
    ooh ooh ooh an RPG I wouldn't have to gm for... heheh now that is tempting =) I dunno tho - I don't know if I'm as hard core a fan as you guys seemed to be at that meeting *snicker* heheh anyway - I'm always up for oleplaying if there's still some room left, or just hanging out and watching if not =) heheh anywho I'll try to drop back in if someone cold give me some info on it like oh the more specific directions =) hehe

anywho - I'm not really a big fan of WEGs system (I gotta roll 18 dice? wha???) hehe but d20 is too d&d ish for my taste - *grumbles that wizards killed alternity*

anywho =) lemee know if you guys don't mind me tagging along - it'd be nice to get to know you guys I met at the meeting a little more

8. Kurgan1

Kurgan1 Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 19, 2000
    Well, Jon, I'm apparently the GM, although I'm not quite sure how I got that job. =) As far as the rules, I'm not a GM that HAS to live by the rules all the time. If something doesn't work, or it's something no one wants to do--out the window it goes. To be honest, some of the rules just plain don't make sense, like the crap about no one being able to play an evil character. That takes half of the fun away from the SW universe right there!

I'm looking forward to playing this with all of you. Whenever I've played before, it's always been with minor fans, so you always have to keep it real simple. But a bunch of hardcores like myself should have a blast with it. And I have to be careful, because I won't be able to put much past you. =)

Speaking of which, Jon, you owe me a rematch in SW Trivial Pursuit. Last time, you won on a technicality and a bad referee. This time, you're mine! =)

Seriously, though--anyone who has any questions about the game, characters to play, etc. please contact me at:

darkempire33@hotmail.com

Also, please send me the kinds of characters you want to play. If there's no template for it, just write down what you'd like to be. Feel free to let your imaginations run wild, but know this---this will not be the SW Holiday Special of roleplaying, so don't get too silly. =)

Finally, let me know which time period all of you would like to play in. Either Old, Old Republic (4000 years before Ep. IV), Old Republic (around the time of Episode I), Empire (set between Ep. IV and VI), or New Republic (After Ep. VI).

Majority will rule on this one.

Anyway, everyone chime in on thoughts and ideas. Feel free to use my e-mail.

9. THX_Jedi

Nov 18, 2000
    Here's directions to the big event...

http://www.geocities.com/chaosguild2000/maptoapt.gif

THIS SATURDAY (10TH) AT 2:00PM (approx)

It's not as complicated as it looks. I live just about 100 yards from Coit:

7905 Cliffbrook Drive #264

You can't find the address from the street. Just turn on Cliffbrook and the apt complex on the north side of the road is "the Cliffbrook apts". Very simple. Just park on the street and just walk in the gateway (last on the end)as shown on the map and walk strait towards the pool. My building (7905) is on the left.

Any questions at all just email me: minion1414@earthlink.net

I agree that you should GM Kurgan. I've DM'ed tons of DnD games but never a SW game. I think we should have a game set either way before TPM or just after. Something with a good mystery to figure out and lots of interresting plot twists. I have a couple of the very first modules that WEG came out with. I haven't really decided on a character type. I think we should finalize that when we get together so we have a good balance.

I don't have alot of food or anything here but feel free to bring stuff by all means. My van is in the shop with some major repairs and I don't know if I'll get it back before Saturday. No problem with here.

LETS GET IT ON!!

10. JarvisW

Nov 21, 2000
    I'd kinda like to be in the ANH days although I really dont care.

Jedi Misstress, there are charactor sheets for almost any charactor type you can think of. Just think about what type of hero you want to be (ie. Han=smugglar, Luke=Brash Pilot then minor jedi, Leia=Diplomat or commando sort of. Dengar=Bounty Hunter,) You can also be a droid ;) or alien (along with a charactor type) The only restriction is you can't play an active imperial :( (you can play a retired Imp). Nabooty has more types I havent seen so I'm sure he can help here.

Kurgan, I thought you volunteered for the GM ;)...somewhere on page one. I have WEG Alderaan Graveyard if we play post ANH. I havent read it but it sounds interesting.

THX, let me know what they said about your van. That sucks! I didnt think it be that bad!

Later! MTFBWYA!

11. Kurgan1

Nov 19, 2000
    Well, as far as reference material, I have just about every sourcebook that WEG ever put out, at least for second edition rules. So that's covered.

Now then, we have two votes (Jon, and Jarvis) for the Empire time period, and one vote for the Episode I time period. Everyone else chime in, as it'll make things a little more organized once we all get together. Also, have a couple of choices for characters ready for the meeting, depending on which timeperiod, if it's possible, that is. If you don't have a sourcebook handy, don't worry about it, we'll take care of it there.

Also, does anyone have any character sheets that they wouldn't mind making a few copies of? I know the WEG version had a character sheet template in the back of the rulebook, but I'm not sure about the new one, or if it's any different.

Which brings me to the next request--if anyone has a copy of the new rulebook that just came out, please bring it along. I haven't gotten one yet, and we'll need to use it when deciding on rules, characters, etc.

Finally, let's get a head count of who all is going to be there. So far, I've got Jarvis, THX, Jon (Sirikus), myself, Jedi Mistress, and Nabooty. Is that everyone? If so, I think we should all bring something in the way of refreshments. I'll handle the beer...er...carbonated beverages. =)

12. Sirikus_Willowbend

Dec 17, 2000
    heheh I have the new rulebook brandon (hehe of course - the one thing I'm more a fan of than star wars is... rpgs! heheh =) I'll bring it with me but I warn ya now - unless you plan to do a LOT of modification it's gonna be an either/or thing the mechanics are pretty much incompatible, it's NOT just a reprint or a new edition - it's a total reworking from the ground up - basically the new Wizards version is d&d (3e, so not as bad as it could be but still...) with everything that means - hit points (tho they are actually handled well IMO far better than in d&d) a very rigid class structure, a very small list of skills, armor class, saving throws etc etc - basically it'd be easier to mix a d&d module with that game than a WEG module (now there are a few execptions - star fighters are easy to convert just by comparing stats - didn't even have to look up the conversion info, and I REALLY like the new starship combat system - converting anything else - especially characters is a royal headache - I've tried it - you get much better results if ya just start from the ground up with an idea of the character in mind - direct conversions are pretty much impossible (ok not impossible but difficult and not very satisfying) just because of the fundamental differences)

now personally except for the restritive class mechanics I prefer the new version =) for all of the WEGs version's vaunted ease of play I find the d20 version easier to pick up and explain (may just be my long experience with d&d tho) heheh and I even have a few alternity inspired ideas for getting around the character class thing, but I haven't written them down since my own star wars game has been put aside since the line, and the only thing I'm running is my alt game anyway =) heheh

anywho gave me a great opening to ramble on about game mechanics hehe I love tinkering with those things, even tho i tend to just throw them all out the window when I run one - in the end it's the story that matters not the system - a great system can't save a crappy story and a bad system won't destroy a good one (unless the group lets it anyway) so... hehe it's all on your shoulders guy =) *snicker*

/em climbs down off his RPG soapbox

see ya saturday
    sirk

13. THX_Jedi

Nov 18, 2000
    Whew..I glad I'm not the only one here who never sleeps and posts in the middle, or very early, morning. I'm ready for bed after reading all that. ;D

I'm planning on making lots of copies of the WEG character sheets at work today. If we don't use them, no big deal. More ink sniffing time for me. :)

I say we just mix and match both rule systems or what ever we have to do to make thing more interesting. Like I said before, I'll try to have some beer/food/whatever but I'm kind of limited on funds and transportation but that has never stoped me from doing anything before. There's nothing like a bunch of tipsey, beer drinking SW freaks all in the same room, surrounded by toys and posters, playing a fantasy game and scaring the neighbors. HEHE =) Hey if you can't make fun of..ah forget it.

14. Nabooty_Call

Sep 11, 2000
    Hello All--
    Sounds like this will be lots of fun.
    I had some character sheets printed on cardstock--harder to damage, more erasing possible, etc. will try to dig those up. And I'll make copies of the character background sheets in Heroes&Rogues to really help flesh out those characters.

I'd like a game set either post-ANH or post-TPM.

I'll probably run a human, but just wondering were there ever any good rules for building droid characters?

Lemme know what snacks you like; I'm not too picky but will be bringing some. What about pizza? I've got a couple Papa John's coupons :D

And anyone else like Guinness or Hard Core cider?

15. THX_Jedi

Nov 18, 2000
    mmm...Guinness.

:)

16. JarvisW

Nov 21, 2000
    Nabooty, I made a great R2 unit but I never saw a stat sheet for any 3-p0s or they wern't very good. Of course they get better with experance too.

17. Nabooty_Call

Sep 11, 2000
    And as usual I can't decide on a character type. Anyone interested in playing a Senatorial or Noble? Or will we be a motley crew of fringers?

18. Sirikus_Willowbend

Dec 17, 2000
    personally depending on era and the makeup of the rest of the group i'm leaning towards playinh either a crazy old coot that think he's a jedi (the quixotic jedi template) or a quiet, laid back technician/engineer/tinkerer kinda guy (trying to decide between a couple of template types for him) course if we go wizards instead of weg it'll be a bit more complicated figuring em out but heheh who cares *shrug* guess it'll get hammered out sat

laterz
    sirk

19. JarvisW

Nov 21, 2000
    I like Motley Crew's first album. :)

A tech is a good idea. We would need someone good with computers and repair.

I'm not sure about diplomats but a former Imp would be good for the command part.

To stormtroopers: "You have been reasigned to the other hallway..."
    As the group sneaks by. (IE the Spy in Commandos PC game)

If we dont have everybody show we might have to pick 2 charactor types to fill out the group. Any thoughts on that?

20. Nabooty_Call

Sep 11, 2000
    If we have 4 characters we should be all right.

Do we want to run stock, new characters, or slightly upgraded ones?

Failed Jedi, Pro Bodyguard, or Smuggler for me.

21. JarvisW

Nov 21, 2000
    I played that we used the templates and added a certian amount of pips (was that what it called?) and then each guy was different.

I can't remember I need to get my rulebooks back!

Its all up to the GM! ...Kurgan whadda ya think?

22. Kurgan1

Nov 19, 2000
    We'll figure it out when we all get there. I'm sure it won't take long to decide everything in a consensus.

23. JarvisW

Nov 21, 2000
    I couldn't get anyone this late and I'm about to go to sleep so...

THX asked if some of us could bring fold up chairs. I can bring 2 or 3 but we will need a couple more!

Later!
    MTFBWY!

24. jedimiss

jedimiss Jedi Youngling

Nov 18, 2000
    O.k. It seems as if I'm WAY over my head here after reading some of the posts. I have never played D&D or any other RPG like that.

hmm...I know what character I would like to be. A Twi'lek senator or something sounds cool, but I am afraid to show up due to the fact that I might look like an idiot!!!

I am a visual person and I have had someone tried to explain it, but I have to see it then I can pick anything up quickly.

So...I'm still a little leery about going.

25. DarthCynthia

DarthCynthia Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 18, 2000
    Jedimistress: you could always go hang out for a little while and watch the game to get an idea of how they run things so next time you could join in. I used to game with some friends of my hubby's and at times when I wasn't playing at that point or walked in on one of their own games towards the end, I had fun watching. Just a thought.. don't be intimidated :) Go check it out and see how they run things and then take it from there, perhaps :)

Take care all, and have fun! Let us all know how it goes!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.