main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Nash, TN Anyone see news about Original Trilogy DVDs?

Discussion in 'SouthEast Regional Discussion' started by Basill, May 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Basill

Basill Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 24, 2002
    UNALTERED ORIGNALS!!! :D out later this year!

Official Star Wars site announced it and everything.

Individual titles in 2 disc sets. It appears they are putting out the remastered versions most of us already have, but the original theatrical versions will be on the 2nd disc as bonus material. I will most likely give in and purchase (again!), even though I already have the first release box set. <cha-ching!> (me= :oops: )(Lucasfilm = [face_money_eyes] )

Oh well!

<begins chant> Solo shot first! Solo shot first!... [face_dancing]

2. Hama

Hama Retired GSA, Retired RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2000
    I guess I won't need my bootleg version much longer... ;)

3. GMSepiroth

GMSepiroth Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 13, 2002
    GREEDO SHOT FIRST
    GREEDO SHOT FIRST
    GREEDO SHOT FIRST

4. Hama

Jun 14, 2000
    [image=http://www.dylankinney.com/images/BanHim.jpg]

5. Scruff

Scruff Jedi Padawan star 4

May 25, 1999
    Saw the news yesterday. Yet another ploy by GL to milk the fans for more money. I'm not falling for it.

6. Kir Kanos

Kir Kanos Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 8, 1999
    [image=http://www.arts.mcgill.ca/programs/polisci/faculty/rexb/magic.gif]

"That was as good an idea as Greedo shooting first!"

Ben Afleck ~ Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back

7. GMSepiroth

Apr 13, 2002
    "....in imagining this flick may be the worst idea since Greedo shooting first."

Holden McNeil (Ben Afleck) Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back

There will be no mis-quoting Kevin Smith while I am around.

8. Kir Kanos

Aug 8, 1999
    :rolleyes: Thanks for the correction. I forgot that there are people in here who know every line verbatum to Kevin Smith's movies ;) BTW, what is Kevin Smith working on these days anyway besides Clerks II?

On the subject of the OT, does everyone plan on spending another $45 for an older version of the same movies that we already have? I actually do have them on Laserdisc, BUT might be tempted to get these in DVD. I may just have to keep it on the down low though. My wife just doesn't understand Star Wars fandom.

9. ChewieTitan

ChewieTitan Jedi Master star 2

Dec 26, 2001
    I will be biting the bullet and purchasing these, but I refrained from getting earlier versions on VHS and DVD, so I guess that justifies this purchase. Have been wishing the OT would be released on DVD unaltered, so I'm glad of Lucas's greed in this case. Never excepted the "Jedi Rocks" and remade Ewok Celebration as good as original.

and,

SOLO SHOT FIRST!!!!!!!!! o_O

that's why he is so cool!!!!!!!!! :cool:

10. Hama

Jun 14, 2000
    Yub Yub!

11. GMSepiroth

Apr 13, 2002
    As if Smith's movies are the only ones I can recite verbatum. :rolleyes:

Other that Clerks II there is nothting to report from the Smith front. There lots for 'projects' out there like Flecth, Ranger Danger, DareDevil II. But these are more like ideas as they have been talked about for years.

I always like to point out if you think Lucus if rich [face_money_eyes] enough dont buy his stuff...
    :D and put me down for a set of the new (old) DVDs. And I this means I can now let go of the very last 3 tapes in my VHS collection.

12. Scruff

Scruff Jedi Padawan star 4

May 25, 1999
    Jedi Rocks beats Lapti nek any day.
    The Ewok "Yub Yub" was the worst idea before Greedo shooting first.

Solo didn't shoot first, he was the ONLY one who got a shot off!

13. audiogirl21

audiogirl21 Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 30, 2001
    i am SO glad they are coming out with those on DVD. i don't know if i'll buy it tho. i have it on the VHS.

i HAAATttteeeed the "new" songs in the rereleases. [face_sick] i thought the replacement ewok song was SOOO [face_talk_hand] ...er, FROOOFY! gack.

maybe i go for childhood nostalgia, maybe it is cuz i'm a purist. [face_whistling] but i will not have have my star wars tampered with. it was just fine the first time.

[face_peace]

hehehehe.....
    good for Lucas.

14. Kir Kanos

Aug 8, 1999
    Get a load of this from TFN:

Classic OT DVDs: Don't Make Assumptions

Posted By Philip on May 22, 2006

On May 3 when Starwars.com announced Lucasfilm LTD and Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment would finally release the Original Trilogy, unaltered on DVD, fans rejoiced. For good reason, as it seemed George Lucas has finally given in to the relentless pleading from countless fans for the original version of the movies on DVD.

Caught up in the excitement, few wondered out loud exactly what form these would take. Certainly fans have become well used to amazing and pristine DVD releases of Star Wars movies with incredible soundtracks on DVD.

This, however, is not to be for this release of the movies.

This week, a number of details about the release have come out, and for many, the news is terrible.

I'm not going to go into this in much detail, as it is already well documented over at the fine DVD site, TheDigitalBits.com. Below are the key points, but if you really want some detail, do head over to The Digital Bits for much more.

DVD Release Details

Video source: Same as used for the 1993 Definitive Collection Laserdisc.

Widescreen: Letterboxed, not anamorphic as the other Star Wars DVDs are. (IE, compared to most DVD releases which are anamorphic, these can't possibly look as good as they would if anamorphic.)

Note: These DVDs will apparently not include the amazing restoration seen in the Special Edition set. They will not look as good, nor will they sound as good as the Special Edition sets.

If you don't know what anamorphic widescreen is, it means that the image is prestretched vertically to fit your screen. Your t.v. only has to stretch the image horizontally then. A non-anamorphic widescreen means that your t.v. will have to stretch all of the image thus giving a degraded picture. for more information, you can visit THIS WEBSITE

15. obi-TN

obi-TN Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 7, 2003
    Thanks for the link on anamorphic. I never knew what that meant. I guess if you don't have a widescreen TV, it doesn't matter.

I guess with this release, Lucas is giving the fans what they've said they wanted, while showing the fans at the same time that it's not really what they wanted.

But this isn't really what people want. It's just easier to say "original versions" than to say without the significant changes of the special editions: scenic Mos Eisley, Greedo shoots first, Jabba confronts Han, more Wampa, Cloud City windows, Vader returning to ship, Lapti Nek, and the celebration on multiple planets. They want restored and corrected images and surround sound. This is just easier for Lucas to do (no additional work).

I'm not sure I'll get this. Heck, I could burn the VHS into a DVD and probably get something better.

16. Basill

Basill Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 24, 2002
    Yeah. T-Bone at http://starwarz.com/tbone/ Has a few theories and editorials posted on the subject finally. I was all excited, but I might just have to pass on these babies now. [face_frustrated]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.