main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Anyone see the new pre AT-ST?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Anakin1607, Jul 17, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anakin1607

Anakin1607 Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 7, 2002
    In "Clone War" for PS2, one of the republic's ground armor is an early AT-ST design. And no it's not an AT-PT. It's at IGN.com under screenshots. Cool eh? We're going to learn alot about the Clone War from this game. Especially what Anakin, Mace and Obi Wan did in the war.

2. Han Solo Cup

Han Solo Cup Jedi Master star 4

Mar 11, 2002
    I saw one in the commercial for the game.

3. chissdude10

chissdude10 Jedi Youngling star 5

Jul 26, 2001
    [image=http://www.galacticbattles.com/republic/mech/Hvystrike_mech.jpg]

[image=http://www.galacticbattles.com/republic/mech/strike_mech.jpg]

Do they look like these?

4. Wedge 88

Wedge 88 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 16, 1999
    Chissdude, kinda. Which makes it cooler. It bears a greater resembalance to one of the lower tier Imperial mechs though, with a swept back 'head.'

The pictures are at Lucasart's official Clone Wars site (off the top of my head I'd say the URL is www.lucasarts.com/clonewars).

I'll go look for the picture in question and post it here.

5. Han Solo Cup

Mar 11, 2002
    [image=http://www.lucasarts.com/products/starwarstheclonewars/images/screens/23.jpg]

Clone Wars Game

:)

Papercuts-hurt

6. chissdude10

Jul 26, 2001
    Ah, ok cool.

7. Wedge 88

Jul 16, 1999
    Okay, so I was wrong about the URL. Anyway, thanks for trying to post the pic Papercuts, although its not showing for me.

I found what I think is the same picture with a jpg file extension rather than a gif (EDIT: you edited the pic but its still not working for me though). Here it is.

[image=http://www.lucasarts.com/products/starwarstheclonewars/images/screens/23.jpg]

8. Han Solo Cup

Mar 11, 2002
    Oh ok, hmm it's not working for me either. But yah that's the same picture that I found.

Edit: I think I got it working now thanks Wedge.

Papercuts-hurt

9. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I wonder if this is supposed to be pre or post AT-PT in terms of design?

10. stecm

stecm Jedi Padawan star 4

May 3, 2002
    looks like an AT-PT to me...

11. Han Solo Cup

Mar 11, 2002
    I dunno, I guess kinda, but AT-PT's kinda have longer noses and are smaller Im pretty sure.

12. chissdude10

Jul 26, 2001
    When was the AT-PT designed again, I remember it was at least when the Dark Force was around, but with all the new clone war crap I kinda lost track.

13. stecm

stecm Jedi Padawan star 4

May 3, 2002
    Maybe it's like an AT-PT Mark I or something...

14. Wedge 88

Jul 16, 1999
    Fan-made, accurate computer model of an AT-PT:

[image=http://www.gerf.org/~nixon/at-pt.jpg]

Some info on it can be found here

15. Han Solo Cup

Mar 11, 2002
    Thanks Wedge :)

Papercuts-hurt

16. Wedge 88

Jul 16, 1999
    I've seen that pic around a bit while looking for info, so I'm not sure if its fan-made. It looks it though, and I first found it on a mesh site. So, I dunno. Still, thats how they look.

17. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    IIRC, when i inquired about the lack of AT-PT's in Clone Wars at Celebration 2, they said they wanted to make this new unit a spin off of the AT-TE rather than the AT-AT like the AT-PT was.

We know the Empire still used a bunch of AT-PT's during the galactic civil war, so either they were way over-produced to warrant their use vs. these new walkers, or they tried to compact this new design into the AT-PT and later felt it'd be better to expand it again back into the AT-ST.

Or, the AT-TE and this new design were designed and manufactured independently of the AT-PT > AT-ST > AT-AT progression.

18. Lord_Darth_Bob

Lord_Darth_Bob Jedi Youngling star 4

Jun 29, 2001
    Latter probability sounds better to me. Tech can travel similarly through different companies while having different designs. Look at the competition and prototypes for fighter contracts like the Joint Strike Fighter in real life for instance.

19. Kreuzader

Kreuzader Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 23, 2002
    The AOTC Cross-Sections book states that the AT-TE was manufactured in secret under contract with the Kaminoans by Rothanian Heavy Engineering, a subsidiary of Kuat Drive Yards (it is implied that only a few select people back at the Kuat home office were aware of the mechanized walkers the Rothanians were producing for use by the clone army).

I think the most plausible explanation is that the main Kuat office/design group developed the AT-PT independently of the AT-TE/whatever the mini-walker in the game is ultimately called for use with whatever army the Republic created (Holonet News implies that many corporations/worlds not allied with the Separatists were gearing up for war in the hopes of supplying the Republic, such as the story about Carida offering the use of the Academy). Since the Rothanians already knew an army was ready and had a jump on the rest of KDY, the walker from the screenshot was used in the initial stages of the war, and later KDY phased in the AT-PT.

This would also explain the introduction of the Victory-class Star Destroyer vs. the Acclamator troopships seen in AOTC (although the parallel isn't exact, since I think their functions differ quite a bit and the scale is dissimilar, the Victory is much larger to my understanding, although it too can enter the atmosphere, correct?).

Edit: chissdude, did Clone Campaigns ever give a designation for those walker units? Whenever I've seen descriptions of units online, they gave them all vague names (like heavy walker), even for known units like the AT-TE.

20. Kier_Nimmion

Kier_Nimmion Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 9, 2000

Odd that. I think the old-new one looks better than the new-old one.

21. Wedge 88

Jul 16, 1999
    Kier, wha? We aren't even sure thats an AT-PT. And . . . which is which. Is that the new-old one? :)

22. Kier_Nimmion

Aug 9, 2000

It's an AT-ST as the title said. Since's it's bigger than the battledroids clustered around it, it's not an AT-PT.

23. Wedge 88

Jul 16, 1999
    Right. The AT-ST was acutually a place holder for it for awhile.

[image=http://viewaskew.com/clerks/images/pics/danteran1.gif]

24. Anakin1607

Anakin1607 Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 7, 2002
    It has an X in the name prefix. Though I can't remember exactly what.

25. Kier_Nimmion

Aug 9, 2000

Why the pic of Randall and Dante from 'Clerks'?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.