Anyone see The Radioland Murders?

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by Carter-TFN, Jun 30, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Carter-TFN Ex-Staff, Admin Emeritus

star 4
    I vaguely remember it being a LFL project but it disappeared after 2 or 3 weeks.
  2. reeves1 Jedi Youngling

star 3
    I saw it. It was alright; some of music was great and one or two of jokes was funny. George wanted to make for awhile and he finally did, so that's wonderful.
  3. ryanof1 Jedi Master

star 4
    I liked it a lot. It had some Star Wars references in it. When the bellhop makes a speech at the end, he refers to Prehistoric Taun Tauns!
  4. Oakessteve Manager Emeritus

star 6
    I got the DVD recently, and I think it's a very funny, underrated film. I think lots of people were a bit put off by it, probably thinking that it was going to end up like 1941, but it's actually rather good. Did anyone know that it's actually a prequel to American Graffiti? Interesting, eh? Actually, you're right....it's not interesting at all.
  5. Princess-Leah Sketch Card Artist

VIP
    star 5
    I saw Radioland Murders when it was released and though we were nearly the only people in the audience, we enjoyed it very much.

It did disappear rather quickly :( Too bad.

I agree with Oakssteve it was underrated, AND it WAS funny...but I LIKED '1941' (my uncle, my dad and I saw it and laughed throughout) another underrated film.

6. Hoedaack Jedi Master

star 4
    It's a really bad movie.
  7. Ozzel TF.N Foreign Book Covers Staff

VIP
    star 5
    I've never seen it. Is the DVD worth $10? I'm tempted to buy it. What's it about?
  8. waheennay Jedi Master

star 4
    Never seen it. I think that may have been the last movie George Burns was in.
  9. Oakessteve Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Well, it's a comedy murder mystery. It's quite similiar to a Marx Brothers film, in a way, so if you like that sort of thing, I'd recommend you get it. I had to buy the DVD of it in America, as it's never been released over here! But I think it was one of the first DVDs ever released, as it's got nothing at all on it. Well, it's got the film, obviously, but it doesn't have anything else. But it's defintely worth watching!
  10. Ozzel TF.N Foreign Book Covers Staff

VIP
    star 5
    Thanks Steve! I'll probably get it.

Oh, and I found out that the DVD was released March 11, 1998. Does the disc even have the trailer(s)? It's a shame; the original sound mix was in DTS, but the DVD only comes with a Dolby 2.0 channel track. :(

I was looking at it on the IMDb (click here). I knew Lucas and McCallum worked on it, but it really has a few more Star Wars crew members, including a score br Joel McNeely, who did the Shadows of the Empire soundtrack.
  11. Luke Jivetalker Jedi Knight

star 1
    I found it similar in plot/pace to Clue.
  12. Darth_Oracle Jedi Master

star 4
    I liked it as well, but then again I like the whole "dawn of TV, era of radio" type movies (My Favorite Year, Bullets Over Broadway etc...)

So, the main characters were parents of who in American Graffiti?
  13. Oakessteve Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Richard Dreyfuss's character. I can't remember his name...
  14. DarthMaul13 Jedi Youngling

star 4
    So Lucas actually made another trilogy besides Star Wars and Indiana Jones?

The Radioland Murders
    American Graffiti
    More American Graffiti

This deserves its own thread. I think I'll start one now.
  15. Jedi knight Pozzi Force Ghost

star 6
    I'm going to start watching it in around the next hour.

Hope it's good. :)
  16. Ozzel TF.N Foreign Book Covers Staff

VIP
    star 5
    Well, I picked up a used VHS copy for $2 a few weeks ago, and I just got around to watching it yesterday.

First off, for having such a great cast, I think most of them were wasted. Christopher Lloyd, Peter MacNicol, Harvey Korman, Larry Miller, and more only had a few lines. On the other hand, Brian Benben, who is not very well known, did a fabulous job! He is a really great actor!

You could see a lot of Lucas in the film. It was "faster and more intense" than the average film. I think it is fairly underappreciated, and better than many recent films (such as Jurassic Park III and The Mummy Returns, but then again, most films are). Also, if you've ever heard the Shadows of the Empire soundtrack, you will no doubt recognize Joel McNeely's score. If not for the nudity at the beginging (which I really though defied the PG rating), I would recommend this film to many people, and most fans of Star Wars.
  17. John of the collective Jedi Master

star 4
    I Saw It in the theater. Its a great film. Very Lucas like, Very funny. Very under-rated.
  18. UK Sullustian Force Ghost

star 4

I saw it when it was on one Christmas a couple of years ago in the UK.

When I saw TPM, I was surprised at the similarity in "Look", it had that sort of "Blue-screeny" feel to it that I felt with Mel Smiths Opus.

I wish I could describe it better... did any one else get that feeling? or have I been eating the wrong sort of mushrooms again?

UKS
  19. jp-30 Manager Emeritus

star 9
    Unlocked & resurrected...
  20. That_Wascally_Droid Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    I liked it :)
    Very funny I thought and I recomended it to my friends :)
  21. DarthMaul13 Jedi Youngling

star 4
    Why was this thread locked in the first place?
  22. Ozzel TF.N Foreign Book Covers Staff

VIP
    star 5
    Pruning, probably.
  23. jp-30 Manager Emeritus

star 9
    Yes, after 6 months of inactivity in threads with only a few replies, they're automatically locked.

A lot of the auto locked ones on the last few pages of this forum will be deleted by me soon, so if there's something that's been autolocked (you can tell, as there's no Moderator edit in the first post) that you want unlocked, PM me with a link to the thread.
  24. UK Sullustian Force Ghost

star 4
    No one ever did answer my "Matching cinematography OR MUSHROOMS" question... :(

Incidentally, it was on BBC1 in the UK recently (again) and I enjoyed it quite a lot.

Very "Old skool" Cinema I would say.

UKS

25. malducin Jedi Master

star 4
    If you are saying that TPM had a blue screeny look, then yes it was the mushrooms ;-).

Radioland Murders, while a small film, was sorta also a trial run for digital technologies. Lucas used the film and the Young Indy series kinda as a testbed for new ways of doing films.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.