main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Anyone still have that Gary Kurtz tells what Ep1-to-9 were originally about article?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by The2ndQuest , Feb 13, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    There was an article back when TPM came out where Gary Kurtz told them what the original plan for episodes 1,2,3,(4 & 5 being as is), 6, 7,8 & 9...anyone still have it handy and could post it?

I had it on my hard drive somewhere and just can't find the sucker. It was in a magazine, so I guess this counts as "lit" [face_batting]

2. Darth_Kevin

Darth_Kevin Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 30, 2001
    I've never seen the complete and full content of the interview, but here is what I've seen.

From Amazon:

Although it is often claimed by Lucas, George that Star Wars was always intended as part of a series (originally nine parts, later six), producer Kurtz, Gary claimed differently in a interview in 1999. According to Kurtz, Star Wars was meant to be a standalone film. It was only after the film's incredible success that he and Lucas got together to consider sequels. They came up with the idea that Star Wars was the fourth story of a nine-part series and penned rough outlines for each episode. After releasing the "fifth" episode (The Empire Strikes Back (1980)), Lucas made Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981) with Spielberg, Steven. The success of this film convinced Lucas to increase the emphasis on action in the "sixth" Star Wars episode. According to Kurtz, the Emperor was not originally going to make an appearance until episode 9. Luke and Leia were not brother and sister. There was no Death Star II. The search for Han Solo was the main plot of the film, during which Luke would have furthered his Jedi training. Solo was going to die in the final battle. Luke was going to go off to complete/continue his Jedi training and Leia was going to resume her position as Queen of her people, separating the major characters in a "downer" ending similar to that of Episode 5. Kurtz strongly objected to Lucas' changes and insisted they should stay with the story they had originally planned. Lucas just as strongly disagreed and the two parted company. (Kurtz left to make Dark Crystal, The (1982) with Henson, Jim and hasn't worked with Lucas since.)

From TF.N:

Gary Kurtz Reveals Original Plans for Episodes 1-9
    Wed, May 26, 99 12:08:05 AM EST

Gary Kurtz, the producer of ANH and ESB, spoke at the Sci-Fi Expo in Plano, TX this weekend along with his daughters Tiffany and Melissa (as children they played Jawas in ANH). He shared with the crowd about meeting Lucas, leaving the Star Wars films and the original plans for the entire saga.

Back in the early 70s, Kurtz was looking to use the new Technoscope technology in an upcoming film. Francis Ford Coppola hooked him up with George Lucas who had recently filmed TXH-1138 with Technoscope. Kurtz became interested in Lucas' planned American Graffiti and the partnership was born.

When the time came to produce ROTJ, Kurtz was unhappy with the story direction Lucas was taking. He felt that it was too much of a rehash of the first films with no real challenges. At the same time, Jim Henson was inviting him to produce his experimental film, Dark Crystal, which he chose instead.

Kurtz gave TPM a mixed review as he was clouded by plans made for Episode 1 back in the early 70s. As someone involved with Star Wars from the initial concepts, Kurtz revealed the original intentions for the nine films as they were laid out BEFORE 1980. Very interesting.

EPISODE 1: Was to focus on the origins of the Jedi Knights and how they are initiated and trained
    EPISODE 2: Introduction and development of Obi-Wan Kenobi
    EPISODE 3: Introduction and life of Vader
    EPISODE 4: There were seven different drafts of the film. At one point, they pursued buying the rights to Hidden Fortress because of the strong similarities. At one point, Luke was a female, Han was Luke's brother, Luke's father was the one in prison (interesting point for some debates) and the film featured 40 wookies
    EPISODE 5: Once written, the screenplay of Empire is almost exactly what is seen on screen. The only cut scenes were those involving wampas in the rebel base (cut because of time and unsolved technical glitches) and about two minutes of Luke/Yoda Jedi training with no real dialog.
    EPISODE 6: Leia was to be elected "Queen of her people" leaving her isolated. Han was to die. Luke confronted Vader and went on with

3. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    thanks, thats exactly what i was looking for.

4. chissdude10

chissdude10 Jedi Youngling star 5

Jul 26, 2001
    sounds wierd...

5. Darth_Kevin

Aug 30, 2001
    I personally think Episodes 6-9 would have been cooler as originally planned, instead of cramming everything into ROTJ.

6. ron corless

ron corless Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 1, 1999
    Me too! I think that Luke should have confronted the Emporer in Episode IX and that there shouldn't have been a Death Star II in ROTJ. And there should have been a third trilogy period!!! I would have loved to have seen Luke become an Obi-Wan type character and dismantle the last remnants of the Empire. In an article by John L.Flynn called Star Wars:The Evolution of a saga it mentions that the third trilogy was to deal with an adult Luke as he dismantles the last remnants of the Empire.

Of course the third trilogy was to deal with the Rebuilding of the Republic.

7. Darth_Infamous

Darth_Infamous Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 30, 2002
    I don't remember where but I also saw some other interview saying there were supposed to be 12 original episodes. Timetales talks about this as well. Look, who the hell is Gary Kurtz? We're not in love with HIS vision. We're in love with Lucas's. IT's what HE wants. Personally I love the OT. And as far as Luke going one on one with the Emperor, come on, by the time that would have happened according to that outline, the Emperor would have been like freaking 100 years old or more, even if he cloned himself, it wouldn't have worked IMO. I guess it's all wishful thinking because George has said this will be it for the movies with the PT. We can always hope though huh.

8. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    >>Look, who the hell is Gary Kurtz? We're not in love with HIS vision. We're in love with Lucas's. IT's what HE wants.<<

I'd imagine the above would reflect Lucas's initial vision, but we all know he likes to change that vision as he makes the movies, but this is an interesting glimpse as to what might have been. The comparisons to Dark Empire are also quite interesting as well.

9. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    Darth_Infamous...
    "Look, who the hell is Gary Kurtz?"
    He's the man partially responsible for creating two of the most beloved movies of all-time, Star Wars (A New Hope) and Empire Strikes Back. Those two movies are a long way to being Kurtz's vision as well as Lucas'.

ROTJ was more Lucas' vision than anyone else's.
    TPM was for the most part entirely Lucas' vision.

The man earned his right to speak on Star Wars, heck Star Wars (A New Hope) was entirely his production. While he also produced ESB, he did so under Lucas' Executive Producer role.

10. Darth_Kevin

Aug 30, 2001
    The Lucas-Kurtz combo is what made ANH and TESB the best two Star Wars movies so far. Lucas has a great vision, but it needs to be tempered, and Kurtz did a pretty good job. If Kurtz was still working with Lucas, I'd bet there wouldn't have been the word "Yippee" once in TPM.

11. Darth_Infamous

Jan 30, 2002
    The fact remains that Star Wars is LUCAS's baby, no one else's. He had the iea, now who helped him out with production on the way has some merit, but I don't think Kurtz would have gotten any acreditation (sp?) for any of this had it not been for Francis Ford introducing him to Lucas. I mean unless you were there when the two of them sat down and hashed out ideas on how to present Lucas's story, then it's all heresay anyways.

12. Darth_Kevin

Aug 30, 2001
    The fact remains that Star Wars is LUCAS's baby, no one else's. He had the iea, now who helped him out with production on the way has some merit, but I don't think Kurtz would have gotten any acreditation (sp?) for any of this had it not been for Francis Ford introducing him to Lucas. I mean unless you were there when the two of them sat down and hashed out ideas on how to present Lucas's story, then it's all heresay anyway.

George Lucas came up with the idea. That doesn't mean other people can't improve on it. I think Lucas tempered by Kurtz was a lot better than unbridled Lucas. Kurtz served to reign Lucas in a little more and make ANH and TESB better movies. He did his job well. More heads are better than one, especially one big one. If Lucas had let someone other than a sychophant take an unbiased look at TPM before release, I'm sure the fart jokes, and "Yippee!" would not have made the cut, and Jar Jar's role reduced. TPM could have been a lot better with very little effort. (The Phantom Edit anyone?) George Lucas has a great vision, but may need a little help to focus it.

That said, I love Star Wars, and like George Lucas's vision.

13. DEWORE-DEWKNOT

DEWORE-DEWKNOT Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 17, 2002
    Let's see. With Kurtz we had cool monsters and good lines....Without Kurtz we have Ewoks and Jar Jar and that kid who plays Anakin. Nuff said.

Darkcrystal was a fun movie too.

14. Darth_Infamous

Jan 30, 2002
    We didn't have cool monsters in ROTJ? The Rancor? The Sarlacc? (pre se) Come on. ROTJ was great.

15. Darth_Kevin

Aug 30, 2001
    Star Wars movies are like pizza, even if its bad for a Star Wars movie, its still pretty good.

16. Darth_Kevin

Aug 30, 2001
    I'm upping this as it is relevant to a similar thread right now.

17. rafterman

rafterman Jedi Youngling star 1

May 27, 2002
    I'm kind of glad we didn't get Kurtz's version, while Lucas needs someone to keep him in check, I don't really like Kurtz's ideas, now I wouldn't have minded a very different take on the prequels and no Death Star 2, dragging out the encounter with the Emperor and killing Han, making Leia queen don't sound that great....

18. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    ::brushes the dirt off this thread thats been dug up::

[face_batting]

19. Darth_Kevin

Aug 30, 2001
    I'm bringing this thread back with regard to the opinion of Nathan Butler of Chrono Radio and the Timeline Gold.

20. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Which were what?

21. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Yikes! Old thread! ::)

What were the comments?

22. Leto II

Leto II Jedi Padawan star 6

Jan 23, 2000
    I had this same article saved elsewhere me self, and this happens to be one of the most delightful things about digging up material like this -- though you sometimes get burned by magma in the process, it's an *interesting* experience...

23. mrslush50

mrslush50 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 22, 2003
    that's bogus. if it was ment as a stand alone, the why the "Episode IV: A New Hope" title at the very begining of the movie?

And why, "From the adventures of Luke Skywalker"

24. JonAntilles

JonAntilles Jedi Youngling

Jul 31, 2003
    I'm sure someone else will jump up to answer this, but if I remember it correctly "Star Wars IV: A New Hope" was not in the inital title scroll in 1977. It was added later. Someone will know the date it was added.

Interesting about Kurtz's ideas though.

JA

25. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    It was added in 1978, I believe.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.