main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Anyone still like Doom?

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Sturm Antilles, Sep 27, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sturm Antilles

Sturm Antilles Former Manager star 6

Jun 22, 2000
    I just got it and Doom II again. I tend to play them straight through every 3 years or so. Still such classic games...exciting, scary and fun.

There's nothing like the feeling of taking down two imps with a double-barreled shotgun, among other things.

2. Happy Ninja

Happy Ninja Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 20, 2000
    Doom. After all these years, it's still a joy to play. :)

3. JediMaster22

JediMaster22 Jedi Knight star 8

Oct 15, 1999
    Doom III is going to have great graphics, I can't wait!

4. DarkSide_Apprentice

DarkSide_Apprentice Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 30, 2001
    DOOM II ain't that good, but it's alright.

5. DUM-4

DUM-4 Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 19, 1999
    Has anyone played Doom Legacy? I know it improves the graphics and allows mouse looking along with other improvements. I have it downloaded, but haven't been able to get it to work with my .wad files.

6. Darth_Dragon_7

Darth_Dragon_7 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 18, 2002
    I used to like it. Until they made about 20 differant versions of Doom II. That got kind of ridiculous and repetitive, so I stopped playing it.

GO BUCKS

7. Coligeon

Coligeon Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 20, 2002
    Doom rocked when you could play Modem to modem with friends.

8. Miin_Bodenna

Miin_Bodenna Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 7, 2002
    I never got introduced to doom. But I have played Doom 64 which was a let down for me.

9. Coligeon

Jan 20, 2002
    Go to cnet.com Miin_Bodenna. They have a huge demo/full version avaliable for download. I never got to play the N64 version, anyone know how it compares to Doom 2? I've played the SNES version, it is very close to the PC version.

10. Guirun_Karyyk

Guirun_Karyyk Jedi Youngling

Oct 1, 2002
    DOOM 64 was a big disappointment, so much so that iD had some major disagreements with Midway about some of the ways they had implemented/changed the game. They had disregarded a lot of the things that made DOOM, well, DOOM, and the lack of multiplayer support was inexcusable. It's no surprise that Midways Quake port for the N64 was also less-than-stellar.

DOOM on the PC (as well as the Playstation and Atari Jaguar) were much better overall, though not as nice visually.

11. PrinceXizor

PrinceXizor Former TF.N Foreign Book Cover Staff star 5 VIP

Jul 4, 2001
    I didn't really enjoy Doom & likes. (Apart maybe Duke Nukem 3D, but even that I found a PITA to play.) I really started to like FPS with Quake, when it was for the first time full 3D.

12. RedSaberWarrior

RedSaberWarrior Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 2, 2002
    Doom is a classic! Anytime im to lazy to play a mission based FPS like Goldeneye, Doom is always there for me :)

13. Plo_Koen

Plo_Koen Jedi Padawan star 4

May 23, 2001
    I wonder if anyone ever figured out the last level of Doom II by themselves?

I thought you just had to kill all the monsters... :_|

14. Plo_Koen

May 23, 2001
    I also have Doom "TNT" and "Plutonia"... are those official?

15. Jomero

Jomero Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 3, 1999
    Plo Koon: though they weren't made by Id themselves, Id does endorse them as being Official.

Yeah, I still enjoy those games. Though they aren't as scary as they used to be. Jeez, anyone remember meeting the cyberdemon for the first time? I think that was the first time that I ever felt fear from a video game. I had no idea how monster AI worked. I had no idea about "mechanics" or any of the details of the game. The word "strafe" wasn't a part of my vocabulary yet. All I knew was this big, nasty thing was coming for me and he could shoot ROCKETS. Add to that the headphones I was using along with the "Ka-THUNK! Ka-THUNK! Ka-THUNK!" of his metal hoof, I literally thought he was stalking me and was going to find me any second.

I honestly hope Id stays true to that. And they better have a Cyberdemon in Doom 3 or else I will personally have to go down there and p1mp slap John Carmack. I'll even take pictures.

Doom was great, but it has lost a little bit of it's magic. That's the problem with being a hardcore fan of a game. You dissect it too much that it loses it's sense of wonder. You figure out the engine, the monster AI, how to build levels, etc etc. I'm sure some of you have noticed that with the X-Wing games, for example. That's why I try not to figure out too many details about a game I really like anymore.

I still play doom now and then. Last time I did I beat all 4 games (Doom, D2, and the final doom ones) on Ultra-Violence. Was nice to find a 32 bit client that a fan had made so I can play it on Windows 2000 in full sound along with mouselook (and jump, but jump made too many parts too easy as the game was never designed for it, so I never used it even when I wanted to). Final Doom was the most fun for me recently, as the levels were completely new to me as I've owned it for years but never played it. Plutonia was the best, as it was the hardest of all the Doom episodes. I even beat all of their "super tough" secret stages with 100% kills. Heh. Doom just isn't as tough when you incorporate years of online quake skillz to it. Still, it was a blast.

There was a mod that someone made for Quake1 that incorporated new levels and Doom monsters in it. Was really cool to see Doom and it's monsters and weapons in true 3D and 3D accelerated. Wasn't the best, but it was quite well done for just a fan-made mod.

-Jomero, who did indeed figure out what had to be done at the end level of Doom 2

16. Coligeon

Jan 20, 2002
    All I have to say is "clipping" :). Good little trick there.

17. Plo_Koen

May 23, 2001
    I meant without cheating... :D

I loved how you could set up the monsters against each other. (in some levels it's actually the only sane way to survive)

I'm interested in the AI, the smaller guys just come straight at you, but the big guys seem more intelligent than that, could you tell more about that, Jomero?
    (Jomero = John Romero?)

And I hate spectres!

18. Jomero

Jun 3, 1999
    Yes, my alias' origin is a play off of John Romero's name. Back in my Quake days my alias was Ron Jomero. This was before Daikatana. Before the dark times.

Was really funny when I met another player named Cohn Jarmack (not as cool sounding as mine, but still funny) and we played on the same team, and never having knowing each other before.

I basically kept the last part of the alias and still use it for most things.

Doom AI is pretty simple actually. Basically, the monsters (once they are aware of you) will try to come straight at you, regardless of where you are. They can basically see through walls (only once they are aware of your presence) and actually try to walk through the wall to get to you as if it wasn't there. They'll keep bouncing off walls and trying to find a way through it. If they happen to bump into a non-keycard door, then they will open it.

It's about as simple as you can get. And like I said, the game is really scary until you learn stuff like that. Because once you figure out that the monsters are morons, they don't seem as dark and frightening.

-Jomero

19. Plo_Koen

May 23, 2001
    They all have the same AI, shotgun guy to cyberdemon?!?!?

BTW: now that I think back, I also came to the wonderful insight of firing at the goat's brain from the pillar... :D

...with the BFG9000 [face_plain]

20. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002
    I played Doom years ago when all PC games of that genre were still called Doom-type games. It was scary, I jumped every time a pig monster surprised me from behind, and I cheated the whole way through with codes. Like adding light in dark tunnels.

I've passed Doom 1, 2, 3 and some other Doom game with what seemed liked twenty stages on it with all these wacky creatures the others never had. I've even seen a thin Doom book on shelves at stores.

Primative compared to Goldeneye64 with real enemies.

21. Plo_Koen

May 23, 2001
    There's still rumours about a Doom movie!

22. Squirm_AnKillies

Squirm_AnKillies Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 24, 2002
    I heard those rumors all the way back in '95. [face_laugh]

23. Kier_Nimmion

Kier_Nimmion Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 9, 2000

Funny you should mention that, John, I just downloaded a demo for it and played through the first section just for kicks. Also did it with Quake II, and as far as atmosphere, Doom is superior to Quake.

24. Jomero

Jun 3, 1999
    " They all have the same AI, shotgun guy to cyberdemon?!?!?"

Yep. All monsters have the same AI. It's very simple. If they know you're there, whether by seeing or hearing you, they will try to make a straight beeline to you, If they hit a wall, they'll move back and forth along the wall until they find a door. If not, they'll just keep pacing back and forth trying to get to you.

Monsters are tagged as either "deaf" or "not deaf." If they are deaf, you can fire guns all over the place and they'll never move until they see you specifically. If they are not deaf, then they will stand still (like the deaf ones) until they either see you or hear you fire a weapon (and punching air silently counts as firing a weapon, so they'll hear that too.. but they won't hear you start up your chainsaw and leave it idle, as long as you don't press attack button).

Deaf monsters can't hear through doors. They can only hear you if they are in a "sector" that connects to yours somehow. They have an infinite hearing range, and as long as "air" could travel between you and them, they'll hear you. A trick that id would sometimes do is connect a canal of slime too low for you to crawl through, but connect it to the other end of the level waaaaaaaay far away. When you fired your weapon to kill stuff, monsters would be riled up by the time you got to the end of a level. Another trick is to conceal a very tiny "air passage" (for sound to travel through) to tick monsters off in another room. And when you hit a switch, a wall would lower in their room, revealing a teleporter. This is how a bunch of monsters would start teleporting in when you performed a specific action or walked over a specific pressure plate (not really a plate, more like a line segment).

I designed a few DooM levels back in the day so I understand how it all works. It's quite cool, but once you learn the details of the game, it's a lot less scary. :( And that sucks.

DooM 3 is sure to have a much ramped up AI. I can't wait.

As for a DooM movie, I read that it's been scrapped. I believe it was from an official source.

-Jomero

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.