main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Anyone still play the original Star Wars The Clone Wars videogame?

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by JediMasterKendo, Jan 10, 2012.

1. JediMasterKendo

JediMasterKendo Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 2, 2000
    The one that came out for the Gamecube and Xbox? The Clone Wars videogame that takes place during the Attack of the Clones movie. I still love that game.

And I hope people dont think I'm talkinga bout the newer version where its the animated Clone Wars game based on the recent Clone Wars show

2. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I remember this one, played it around the time it came out. I liked the story about the Dark Reaper and such, even though at the time I had no idea who Ulic Qel-Droma and Exar Kun were.

I actually didn't like the fact that this was so short. I rented it for a week and easily beat it in that timeframe. It was kinda fun, playing as Mace or riding around in those cool tanks were some highlights.

I still prefer Bounty Hunter as the best game which spawned from AOTC's release.

3. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    I did. Vehicles aren't really my thing, though; it was far, far surpassed by Republic Commando and Bounty Hunter.

4. Vader_vs_Maul

Vader_vs_Maul Jedi Master star 3

Dec 4, 2003
    The levels where you flew with the Republic Gunship were ace :D

5. Spork111

Spork111 Jedi Master star 2

Jun 19, 2002
    Oh yeah, I still have the Gamecube version, and I'll still pop it in the Wii on rare occasions (thank goodness for backwards compatibility!) I really enjoyed it, although it didn't have the same kind of polish that Rogue Leader had. At the time I really enjoyed that it was a depiction of the Clone Wars that we had heard about for years (and only glimpsed at the end of AOTC). Of course, that novelty has long since worn off for numerous reasons.

It's also nice that they had pre-rendered cutscenes, but they really haven't aged well and pale in comparison to the cutscenes in Bounty Hunter (or even Jedi Starfighter, for that matter). By the way, am I correct in my assessment that 2002 saw the most Star Wars console game releases in a single year? It's off the top of my head, but I recall Racer Revenge(PS2), Jedi Starfighter(PS2, Xbox), Jedi Outcast(Xbox, GCN), Clone Wars(Xbox, PS2, GCN) and Bounty Hunter(GCN, PS2) all being released in '02.

It's not a perfect game by my measure, and Bounty Hunter has since grown on me a great deal more, but it's still a solid and fun vehicle shooter by Pandemic (the makers of the Battlefront series), and so I give it its due. I kinda wish Lucasarts would release games more along these lines nowadays, but instead all we get are TFU, LEGO games, TCW tie-ins, and the Old Republic MMO. I certainly would not advocate EVER releasing upwards of five (FIVE!?) separate console games in a single year (that's what they call pumpin' 'em out), but a little something for the median gamer besides TFU would be greatly appreciated.

6. Drew_Atreides

Drew_Atreides Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 30, 2002
    I really enjoyed the CLONE WARS game when it came out. Have always felt like it was pretty underrated (but i've always felt like most PANDEMIC Titles were underrated!) Especially remember thinking that at the time of it's release! There was a huge backlash, post ATTACK OF THE CLONES release, and i remember going to EB on the day of the games launch and the guy telling me "you're the only person who has bought a copy."

The gunship levels were AWESOME. The Tank levels were fun, and those tanks were a nice addition to the Star Wars mythos. Actually most of the vehicle levels were fun.

The on-foot levels were a bit clunky, but they were usually short and hardly game-breaking. And heck the appearance of Ulic Qel-Droma was an complete and pleasant surprise.

7. BLemelisk

BLemelisk Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 19, 2003
    I played the hell out of it on PS2.

My favorite part of it was the greater focus on tactics and overall strategy in the actual campaign and mission objectives...more than has been seen in any form of Star Wars medium to date, as far as I know.

The attack on Thule, the assault through the Raxus Prime junkyard, and the battles on Rhen Var were unreal.

8. Vader_vs_Maul

Vader_vs_Maul Jedi Master star 3

Dec 4, 2003
    I distinctly remember that it must have been streaming the music or voices or something in the GameCube port, instead of preloading them prior to the levels, because my GameCube would be constantly making that annoying noise it makes when the laser head in the drive moves around to read the disc. Constantly, without as much as a second of pause. It drove me crazy.

9. Leto II

Leto II Jedi Padawan star 6

Jan 23, 2000
    Still own (and play) this one on occasion -- Xbox flavor. Saddened, though, that the multiplayer community for this basically died a couple of years after it came out, even long before Microsoft eliminated "original" Xbox LIVE online play.

10. Ichor_Razor

Ichor_Razor Jedi Grand Master star 3

Nov 6, 2004
    Got it for Xmas back in 2002 & still enjoy it very much when I have a chance to play it. I just wish I didn't leave my gamecube near the edge of a stool causing it to fall and damaging my original copy of the game in the process (Missions 1 & 3 didn't work at all anymore and Missions 2 & 9 were a miracle to get working). After so many years, though, I finally found a fully working copy at EB games near the end of 2009. I Still have the original copy, though, albeit as a reminder of my own negligence.

11. Leto II

Leto II Jedi Padawan star 6

Jan 23, 2000
    I owned the PS2 version originally, but, like you, for some reason the last couple of missions (Rhen Var, Thule, et al) were unplayable, but it wasn't due to a disc-scratch, I later found out. Never did determine the exact reason why that disc never functioned properly, but I simply bought the Xbox version in 2003 when it came out.

12. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I really enjoyed the game- had a pretty good story (with some good voice actors for the roles- i think the same guy plays Dooku as does in the TCW show). I liked how it was one of the first sources to help expand the scope of the Sith War from TOTJ.

It wasn't as solid as Factor 5's 4 games (though CW did integrate the on-foot missions better than RS3, although to be fair, they took very different approaches to the style of those levels, with RS3 trying to be more arcadey like Super Star Wars and CW trying to be more 3rd person not-shooter) but still very, very fun- and a suitable fill-in for the lack of a Factor 5 AOTC game.

I think CW's cutscenes were better than Jedi Starfighter's cutscenes, but Bounty Hunter had a clear advantage over both of them: it used the actual ILM CGI models (not to mention the amazing voice cast).

Might have been your unit- while the GCN does have that loading noise on occasion, it was never that bad for me. In fact, the main advantage of the GCN's mini-DVD format was the quicker load times (compared to the GCN version, Bounty Hunter is almost unplayable on the PS2 because of the multiple mid-level load times you have to wait for).

13. JediMasterKendo

Jun 2, 2000
    Yeah I still think the older stuff from 2000 to whatever such as the Starfighter, Jedi Starfighter games along with Rogue Squadron 1, 2, and 3 and then the Clone Wars game for the PS2/Gamecube/ and Xbox and then the Bounty Hunter game. I thought they were pretty good along with Lethal Alliance for PSP.

Nowadays we have over the top storylines of people creating the Rebellion etc such as Force Unleashed.

I should go get the Clone Wars game for the Gamecube. I tried a little bit of the Clone Wars game for the Xbox when my sister had a lame boyfriend who had a Xbox.

I also want to try out the Starfighter games for the PS2 but how are the main storyline for the Starfighter and the Jedi Starfighter games? To me they're just like the Rogue Squadron games with the typical missions where you go and blow up fighter ships and whatever else

14. ShakTeeth

ShakTeeth Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 12, 2011
    I certainly did. I thought the game did very well with capturing the atmosphere of war, I really did feel like I was taking part in the Geonosis battle or Thule assault. Some of the vehicle designs were also superb and a worthy contribution to the Star Wars mythos.

15. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    The Starfighter games actually have more story than the Rogue Squadron games, with full cutscenes and not just pilot voice-overs during mission lead-ins (although you still get a lot of dialogue then and during missions as well).

Nym's crew is also a fun lot of characters too- I'm still dissapointed we never got a Starfighter 3 to wrap up the minor cliffhanger at the end of JS (nor did Nym's subsequent/related comic, novel & galaxies appearances resolve it), plus, after Nym played a significant role at both the Battles of Naboo and Geonosis, it seems only fitting that he'd play a role at the Battle of Coruscant. He's sort of like the unofficial Prequel Wedge in a way.

The gameplay is similar to RS, though- although there's a difference in the controls (you'll probably end up playing the SF games in 1st person, whereas the RS games are definitely a 3rd person experience).

16. Ichor_Razor

Ichor_Razor Jedi Grand Master star 3

Nov 6, 2004
    Imo I consider them a blend of Rogue Squadron & the TIE Fighter/X-wing Games in particular ways such as how you lock onto enemies like the Sims & how you have ground-based missions like in Rogue Squadron (that, and the way you move your craft feel akin to a simulator more than the arcadeyness of the RS games imo).

Anyone feel the same way/have similar views?

17. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    That's not too far off- it's still arcadey like RS as it definitely doesn't play like a simulator, but it's closer to a sim than RS (for example, RS's controls always had trouble as it tried to autocorrect any vertical rolls to keep you oriented to "the ground", whereas SF lets you go inverted much easier).

18. Drew_Atreides

Apr 30, 2002
    It makes me happy to see this game getting some love!

Like i said, back in the day i felt like i was the only person who was playing the darned thing (I had the gamecube version, by the way. It was cheaper to purchase. Sadly I lost my Gamecube when i accidentally lent it to a girlfriend's brother, and then said-girlfriend and i broke up. I went back about 3 weeks later to pick up my stuff and found out the brother had used my gamecube as a trade-in to get himself an X-Box at EB. Pretty incredible that someone had the guts to do that!)

I always loved how Pandemic managed to work those Tanks into the Battlefront Games, too.

As a company, i felt like they don't get enough credit for their contributions to Star Wars.

19. JediMasterKendo

Jun 2, 2000
    Its amazing that the regular Clone Wars game for the PS2/Xbox/Gamecube you could fly in a clone troopers gunship ship and shoot the lasers at the trade federation round ball shaped ships just like in the Attack of the Clones movie.

You cant even do that in the Battlefront games. No siree

20. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Those were indeed fun to use- especially to cut up the larger targets.

Yeah, the fighter tanks are a design that've managed to spread beyond the CW game- there's even a Hasbro toy and a Lego version. I wouldn't be surprised if it shows up on TCW cartoon at some point, either.

21. jacktherack

jacktherack Jedi Master star 4

Mar 19, 2008
    i love how people use the fact that they don't have their gamecube anymore as an excuse not to play it anymore. gamestop is practicably giving them away. and the games are dirt cheap too, well mostly most of them you can get for 3 bucks. i love how people are complaining that the wii u is not going to have gamecube support considering you'd have to pay someone to take your gamecube.

some people are actually throwing their old systems in the garbage. just keep your old systems people, trust me i have over 20 systems currently ranging from nes gameboy gamegear xbox 360 dreamcast... i wasn't even born when the nes came out yet i have over 50 games for it.

22. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Gamecube's value dropped mainly because the Wii has almost perfect GCN backwards compatibility. The only reasons to still have a GCN hooked up (other than it's a lot easier to tote over to friends' houses and seems less fragile than a Wii) are if you have a Gameboy Player or require the modem attachment for certain titles (though most people only used that for Mario Kart DD via the Warp Pipe thing, but I think that's mostly been replaced by MKWii's online play).

23. Drew_Atreides

Apr 30, 2002
    See, i used to be completely onboard. I kept EVERYTHING. I got super ticked at my parents when they tried to give my Commodore 64 away to charity! (I went and took it from their house and now have it collecting dust in my basement.)

However, then along came marriage.... And suddenly i am under the gun for EVERYTHING that i try to keep. I'm very sentimental about all my old crap, but my wife does not share this opinion.

24. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I would think videogame systems would be easier to justify than other items that might collect dust, since there are likely games for those systems you can only play on the actual system (or, like the N64, can only play them full-featured (rumble etc) on the actual system).