main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Anyone think FN-2187 is the new Son of Skywalker?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Obi-Wan McCartney, Jan 6, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014
    All Maz means is that she is wise enough to recognise fear in Finn's face. I mean, that's basically exactly what she says.

Finn is not a skywalker. I mean, even Louis, an experimental, almost avant-grade sitcom has that kind of jarring moment when it turns out that the biological mother of his children is casually dropped in as being mixed race. It works as it fits within the deliberate lack of logic.

But even accepting that Africa and USA don't exist in the GFFA, there is simply no way the audience will be asked to believe that Luke fathered a child with Nigerian features.

2. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Hey as long as the screenwriter explains it well, I have no issues. I have no issues if this were to happen, regardless.

DL44Jo and YoloKylo like this.
  3. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014
    There's no easy way of explaining it. You either draw attention to it to then explain it, or you just ignore it. Neither of those options work.

4. JabbatheHumanBeing

JabbatheHumanBeing Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 14, 2015
    The only way this works is if Finn is Luke's adopted son who was kidnapped. The logic would go something like this:

Finn is taken from Luke at a young age
    Finn has what could be considered a "force moment" during the attack on the Jakku village
    Kylo recognizes Finn's force sensitivity on the battlefield
    Kylo is infuriated when he realizes he should have done something about Finn earlier
    Rey learns to tap into the force through her interaction with Kylo Ren
    Finn learned to tap into the force as a young child through his interaction with Luke
    Finn is Luke's adopted son

This is very convoluted, and unlikely to happen. But it's the only way I see to make it...somewhat believable.

nightangel likes this.
  5. Rollo Tomasi

Rollo Tomasi Jedi Padawan

Jan 18, 2016
    So long as the story they're telling is good, the majority of the audience will chalk it up to another scientific inaccuracy in a Star Wars movie and move on.

6. redlightning

redlightning Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 1, 2014
    I'm really against Skywalker have a son that would be mixed race in some form if the character is the only offspring of this character and present by himself. It sounds forced too. Perhaps it's simply my issuing of only wanting to see a male of the same ethnicity in that generation to identify to him. The same is true for him potentially have a daughter in the eyes of Rey. I don't have a problem with this if all members present. Let's say if Luke has a White daughter, White son, a mixed race son like Finn, which stay to the light or if Han and Leia did who didn't pointlessly join the dark side, this wouldn't bother me at all. Our only chance of a male, While hero were just destroyed with Ben Solo being turned into a rehash of Darth Vader.

7. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Congratulations! You managed to make this post sound both racist & sexist. If that was not your intent, then I would suggest you make yourself more clear. If that WAS your intent, then I would point you to our rules about "no sexist or racist comments" and let you decide how you want to proceed.

jaqen, Darth Djent, DL44Jo and 3 others like this.
  8. redlightning

Feb 1, 2014
    Because I want Luke Skywalker to have a White son be included as his offspring before other genders or ethnicities and a character who both of those who is not a villain in Star Wars for a change in this trilogy? He can have the others too and I'd be fine with it. I want all categories included. One of the heroes needs to be the same gender and race too though.

9. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    Actually, they don't. The race/gender of the hero should be irrelevant. If Luke has only a daughter, or only a son, mixed race or not, it should not matter. If it does, then you should think carefully about why you think so. As it is, your post could easily be seen as insulting to women and/or people of mixed race. And again, I remind you of our rules about racist/sexist comments.

Darth Djent, DL44Jo, Ezon Pin and 3 others like this.
  10. redlightning

Feb 1, 2014

I don't care if Skywalker has other children of differing genders or races as long as one can be at least one White male that is on light side of the Force and attempting to following in his father's footsteps as a Jedi. Anything goes after that. The prepurged EU Solo and Skywalker children were good examples of this.

11. 11-4D

11-4D Force Ghost star 5

Apr 6, 2015
    So, no matter what, a white male should always be the main focus of the story?

12. redlightning

Feb 1, 2014
    In regards to being the direct offspring of Luke Skywalker yes. Han Solo and Leia no. Generations after not really.

13. 11-4D

11-4D Force Ghost star 5

Apr 6, 2015
    But why? For the sake of being like the originals? What difference does it make if Luke has a mixed race son, in regards to the story?

DL44Jo likes this.
  14. redlightning

Feb 1, 2014

Because that's the way it's supposed to be at least for this generation. After that it can be anything else.

15. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    And with that, we bid you adieu.

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  16. 11-4D

11-4D Force Ghost star 5

Apr 6, 2015
    Again, why? Who decides the way it's "supposed to be"? You just edited your post to remove your point about diversity, and good for you because having a white male lead has absolutely nothing to do with diversity.

JabbatheHumanBeing likes this.
  17. JabbatheHumanBeing

JabbatheHumanBeing Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 14, 2015
    Wow. That was some serious racism.

18. YoloKylo

YoloKylo Jedi Padawan star 1

Feb 24, 2016
    Ok, back to the topic. It's entirely possible that Finn is FS when you compare him to Dhara Leonis from the SW Rebels book series Servants of the Empire, set four years before ANH. Dhara was from a non-FS family so no one had any idea she was one, they just considered her talented and she was enrolled in the Imperial Academy. What alerted her instructors was the fact that she excelled in her training, her leadership skills and being recruited into the Officer Academy. Who else excelled in his training and was considered officer material? Finn. She possibly could be Finn's mother as well but her story doesn't intersect with Luke at this point, so I still like Sana more.

StormScavenger likes this.
  19. Saga_Symphony

Saga_Symphony Force Ghost star 4

Oct 30, 2010
    I can understand people wanting Luke's son to, well, look like Luke. So far, it's been sort of a "Skywalker tradition" for the males to be white, blue-eyed blondes. We do sort of have Ben Solo to contrast that now, but he is Han and Leia's son, so it's not a stretch.

I do think Finn being Luke's son would be too hard to believe, both visually and with Finn's backstory. Character-wise, I guess I wouldn't mind the idea; I think I'd actually prefer it over Rey being Luke's kid. But there's just too much about it that's too hard to swallow, IMO.

20. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014
    The issue with the Finn as Luke's son "theory" isn't the colour of Finn's skin; it's the fact that TFA did absolutely nothing at all to imply that Finn's family background will be a thing whatsoever, meaning that it'd be too much of a convoluted curveball out of leftfield to actually work. If Finn was shown to be force sensitive, and was shown to have a mysterious, murky past, then sure, speculate away. But there's zero evidence for this.

21. Han Drolo

Han Drolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 9, 2014
    Plenty of things in TFA suggest Finn was force sensitive. However I never got any implication he was Luke's Son.

22. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014

Nothing unambiguous. You can put forward a hypothesis that Finn may have force sensitivity, but it's a point built on sand if you use Finn's perceived FS (which I don't see at all) to make a further point, as some are doing

23. YoloKylo

Feb 24, 2016
    Something else to note that was brought to my attention on tumblr, in the new canon Heir to the Jedi, Luke was romantically attracted to Nakari Kelen who died before he was able to express it. Looking at the Brazilian version of the book cover definitely makes it seem like they are a couple. She can't possibly be Finn's mother since she died too early in the timeline but it does show Luke is capable of wanting a relationship rather than living life as a monk jedi and that he has been attracted to WoC.

[​IMG]

24. Rollo Tomasi

Rollo Tomasi Jedi Padawan

Jan 18, 2016
    I'd say the only real obstacle to Finn being Luke's son is that this is the saga of the Skywalkers and Rey is clearly the lead character, which makes her the likely offspring.

25. YoloKylo

Feb 24, 2016

I think maybe a lot more people identified with Rey and maybe she 'won' more on screen but there was never a history of a single main character in SW? During the OT, the SW fandom had all out wars of who the main character was, Luke vs Han. People were excited seeing the ROTJ trailers because they saw a matured Luke who was no longer "The Kid" and could be equal to Han. During PT, Obi-Wan was just as important as Anakin, he just had more charisma for me. Both Finn and Rey are the main heroes, they just haven't focused as much on Finn on-screen but that would make sense if they were mirroring Finn to Luke, where he would come into his own in the third movie. But throughout all six movies, it was a pair where it could be argued of who the central hero was, and does there have to be just one?

Also, technically Kylo Ren is a Skywalker and if you don't consider him a Skywalker because he uses his father's last name then you would have the same problem with any offspring of Rey's. They could possibly also not be considered Skywalker and LF will have no more Skywalkers to do future SW movies with. But they seem confident there will be more SW movies eventually, so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

I just need episodes 8&9 now, this is torture.

Zikri likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.