main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Anyone think that scene should of cut up to here

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Mace Windu's Cousin, Dec 25, 2015.

1. Mace Windu's Cousin

Mace Windu's Cousin Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 6, 2015

Looking back at ROTS. Anyone think the scene should of cut off at 4:06 ? It leaves a bit of chilling mystery, and kind of scariness of darth vader's creation.

BTW when i say cut off I mean remove the whole NOOOO!! scene and asking if Padme was alright.

2. PHIERY

PHIERY Jedi Master star 2

Feb 7, 2009
    NOOOOO :p

I think it's fine just the way it is.

3. Straudenbecker

Straudenbecker Jedi Master star 3

Nov 22, 2015
    No. It works great as it helps to show what allowed him to be consumed by the dark side.

4. SophieCo

SophieCo Jedi Youngling

Dec 21, 2015
    I think it could have worked. Padmé tells Obi-Wan "there is still good in him" and dies, then switch to Vader's first "hiss-breath". Then switch to Leia on Alderaan, Luke on Tatooine, Padmé's funeral and eventually Vader and the Emperor overlooking the construction of the Death Star.

But I like that scene as it is too, overly dramatic "NOOOOOOO!" and all included :p

Cryogenic likes this.
  5. HevyDevy

HevyDevy Force Ghost star 5

Apr 13, 2011
    I don't think so. I have no problem with Vader making one last mention of Padme before we lose him.
    The tone of the "no" however makes me think they should have done another take. It should be more primal and less cheesy. But what did you expect him to say, this is the death of Anakin Skywalker!
    The force "implosion" as he realises it was all for nothing was a good touch. Very iconically Star Wars.

Cryogenic and CIS Droid like this.
  6. Darth__Lobot

Darth__Lobot Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 29, 2015
    I don't like the stupid Nooooooo.... HOWEVER, one thing I did like was the Emperor telling him that he killed Padme; that was a pretty cool twist

SateleNovelist11 and Cryogenic like this.
  7. True Sith

True Sith Jedi Master star 4

May 10, 2015
    The "nooooooo" could've been toned down, but otherwise I like it the way it is.

SateleNovelist11 likes this.
  8. Ancallibre

Ancallibre Jedi Youngling

Dec 31, 2015
    I like this scene as is. The sadness in Anakin/ Vader's voice can be felt. Every thing he did up to that point was for nothing.

I like the "Noooooo!" It's very overly dramatic, and serial. Very Star Wars. Though I have to agree with you all. The tone feels a bit off. Instead of sounding angry I think it should have been sad with a hint of desperation and unbelievability to it.

Maybe keep the no but have it start out loud and taper off getting softer and softer as it gets to the end. Almost like crying and quivering as it finishes. If you know what I mean.

Actually, watching this scene and Episode III in general after watching The Clone Wars is heartbreaking.

I'm glad George made The Clone Wars. The somewhat mediocre movie aside. The Clone Wars was a great series and made me appreciate and like the prequels even more than I did before.

9. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
  10. Sith_Smuggler

Sith_Smuggler Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 9, 2016
    There shouldn't have been a "NOOOOOO!".

Instead, Vader should have fallen to his knees in utter despair and silence, masked hands over his mask. A man in agony from his choices while Palpy stands in the corner, smirking under his hood. I think the silence would've conveyed the sheer tragedy of the emotion far more than the theatrical "NOOOOOO!"

Still, I love the scene regardless.

11. ObiWanKnowsMe

ObiWanKnowsMe Jedi Master star 4

Sep 7, 2015
    I'm picturing that and it would've been so sad:_|

Antpocalypse likes this.
  12. Sepra

Sepra Force Ghost star 5

Jan 14, 2016
    And then everyone would complain that Vader fainted. o_O

I like the idea of screaming. I'm not sure if it had to be the word "No". But screaming is pretty realistic, it's what I think a lot of, if not most people do when someone they love is dead.

13. {Quantum/MIDI}

{Quantum/MIDI} Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2015
    I prefer the scene stay, why?

Because the Jedi funeral music and Darths "NO". The Music implys that Anikan is dead. He died once he was put into that suit.

The "NOOO" was cheesy, yet meaningful. Like Lucas said, it's taken from shake spear. It's over the top, 1930's acting. All Star Wars had at least one over the top cheesy moment.

As so, It's very cheesy, but contemporary and deep meaning.

Antpocalypse likes this.
  14. DavidSword79

DavidSword79 Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 27, 2015
    http://www.englishgrammarsecrets.com/shouldhave/menu.php

We can use 'should have' to talk about past events that did not happen.
    • I should have let her know what was happening but I forgot.
    • He should have sent everybody a reminder by email.
    • They should have remembered that their guests don't eat pork.
    We can also use 'should have' to speculate about events that may or may not have happened.
    • She should have got the letter this morning. I expect she'll give us a call about it later.
    • He should have arrived at his office by now. Let's try ringing him.
    • They should have all read that first email by this stage. It's time to send the next one.
    We can use 'should not have' to speculate negatively about what may or may not have happened.
    • She shouldn't have left work yet. I'll call her office.
    • He shouldn't have boarded his plane yet. We can probably still get hold of him.
    • They shouldn't have sent the report off for printing yet. There is still time to make changes.
    We can also use 'should not have' to regret past actions.
    • I shouldn't have shouted at you. I apologise.
    • We shouldn't have left the office so late. We should have anticipated this bad traffic.
    • They shouldn't have sacked him. He was the most creative person on their team

Antpocalypse and Cryogenic like this.
  15. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005
    Re: The "noooo" moment...

It's a bit cheesy, sure... but also profound.

The beauty of SW in a nutshell.

Also, Vader's stance -- the body broken and placed in a horrible contraption, his head and hands yearning skyward -- is that of a man tormented by fate and howling at the dark nothingness.

It's grim and tragic and recalls Jesus' famous cry of anguish on the Cross in Matthew 27:46 and Mark 15:34: "My God, My God, why hast Thou forsaken Me?"

Anakin doesn't have Jesus' powerful sense of articulation (or whoever wrote Matthew), but he is "the Chosen One", a sort of "living image" of the Force, now in agony, catching a painful glimpse that it was all for nothing, and that the universe is hollow: a dead, endless void.

The last and most tragic thing about it is that the camera is slowing back away from Anakin, as Padme did when she discovered the truth and could no longer follow Anakin down his dark path. Anakin's life is one of isolation and abandonment. He has no friends left. Only the cold, stark will of his black master.

Of course, Vader is also turned into a hobbled, two-bit patsy at the end of this scene, undercutting the mordant operatic tones with something more palpably "Star Warsian" (though this duality, or dichotomy, between the moving and the absurd, is also "Star Warsian", in the best, deepest, and most serious sense). But I think we can forgive Lucas because it's all so devastating. Anakin has been turned -- has turned himself -- into a serial monster.

And he has been left with nothing.

But out of nothing, something can always arise.

Ezon Pin likes this.
  16. {Quantum/MIDI}

Dec 21, 2015

Matthew wrote Matthew. hence the title matthew...

17. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015

My real name is Matthew and I can confirm that. :p

Cryogenic likes this.
  18. Sith_Smuggler

Sith_Smuggler Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 9, 2016
    I am eternally indebted to thee, grammar Nazi~

Antpocalypse and Ezon Pin like this.
  19. DavidSword79

DavidSword79 Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 27, 2015
    More of a grammar Buddhist. You're welcome.

Antpocalypse likes this.
  20. DARTHLINK

DARTHLINK Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2005
    <clicks boots>
    <does the salute>
    LONG LIVE GRAMMAR NAZI!
    LONG MAY YE REIGN!
    HAIL! HAIL!! HAIL!!!

:p :D

But seriously, I like the idea of Vader silently falling to his knees in despair instead. Would've been more powerful than the "NNOOOOOOOOOOOO" we got.

21. Colwyn Ren

Colwyn Ren Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 16, 2015
    Given how the rest of the film went, I would say that removing it would be too little too late. I say leave it in and embrace the cringe.

22. Sepra

Sepra Force Ghost star 5

Jan 14, 2016
    Would a Grammar Buddhist be that attached? Attachment is forbidden.... :)

23. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005

Nothing with an ancient text is that simple.

I suggest you read around. No-one actually knows who the original gospel authors were.

Ezon Pin likes this.
  24. jimmycrank

jimmycrank Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 29, 2015
    Remove the "NOOOOO". just have him stand that in Silence, Motionless as everying around him is crushed, trashed and smashed.

25. {Quantum/MIDI}

Dec 21, 2015

Exactly the Joke. I didn't make that clear, my bad..

Cryogenic likes this.