main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Anyone up for "Supernatural" Discussion?

Discussion in 'Non Star Wars Fan Fiction' started by TheMacUnleashed, Apr 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheMacUnleashed

TheMacUnleashed Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 2, 2009
    I know that there are at least a few authors here that write for Supernatural, so I'm sort of surprised that nobody has started a fanfiction discussion thread for it. I don't know if anyone is interested, but I thought I might post a few questions to start us off.

SPOILER NOTE: Spoilers are difficult to warn for because everyone seems to be at a different point in the show. I would suggested highlighting any spoilers for Season Five, but if anyone has any sort of objections or thinks that's overkill, just mention it.

A few questions to start off the discussion:

1.) Which brother do you usually prefer to write, and why?

2.) Who has been your favorite villain?

3.) What are your views on John Winchester? Some view him as an extremely harsh, occasionally abusive parent, while others seem to think he's just misunderstood.

My answers:

1.) I like them both. Their characters are vastly different, and it's interesting trying to portray them both while keeping true to their personalities.

2.) This is a hard one. Alistair was perfectly creepy, and he's probably my favorite demon. The Trickster, though, was hilarious during his appearances, and has a lot more potential, especially after he was revealed as Gabriel. I hope we see him again soon.

3.) I think that John loved his sons, but he didn't know how to raise them on his own, and I think that his desire to hunt ended up consuming him. I think he would have been an awesome father if he wasn't hunting, and I think he tried to raise them.

Now, off to watch the hundredth episode... :D

2. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    I don't watch Supernatural, but I've heard it's an awesome show :D

Just a reminder of the official NSWFF Spoiler Policy:

3. karebear214

karebear214 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2002
    Hell yes, I'm always up for some good Supernatural discussion.

Here goes:

1) I identify with (and write) Sam more, but I like Dean better. But they're both fantastic characters. I've been watching the early seasons rerun on TNT and it is just fascinating how much the characters and the show itself has evolved. In fact, when I first tried to watch the first season I gave up after a few episodes, but I came back for another try in Season 3 and now the show is one of my favorites.

2) Azazel (Yellow Eyes). The first, and still the best (in my opinion). Can't mess with a classic! I think it also has to do with how much of the show in its beginning was formed on finding this guy and destroying him. He was such a huge part of creating the Winchesters. They literally would not be who they are without him, (and Sam is still struggling with with that, even now) which made him a perfect nemesis.

3) I more or less agree with you. I think John's heart was in the right place, and he truly did love his sons, but he was also an abusive parent. I just honestly don't think he was emotionally capable of raising children without his wife. He let his feelings and his need for revenge consume him to the point where he was unable to respond to his kids' needs. He treated them as little soldiers because it was the only way he knew how to take care of them, but it wasn't an effective way of parenting by any means.

I honestly think this is why he had left them at the beginning of the show. Sam and Dean were both grown up so that in his mind they didn't need him anymore. I think he abandoned them because he was fully aware of all the mistakes that he had made and he genuinely thought they would be better off without him (Maybe he was even right in thinking that?)

Still, in the end, sacrificing himself for his children? There is no greater act of love, and so I judge him more on that than anything else, and I think Sam and Dean do too.

4. Lilith Demodae

Lilith Demodae Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 1, 1999
    I've actually been hording the last half of the current season so I can watch it all in one go without having to deal with cliffhangers and the rest.

1) Dean. He's way less angsty, and honestly, I find him much more interesting than mopey, broody Sam. Don't get me wrong, Sam has some great moments, but he's far too emo for me most of the time.

2) Azazel. The man had a plan, and he very nearly made it work. That kind of long-term planning and patience isn't something you normally find in a series villian.

3) John let his grief consume him and his children. That being said, he really did try to do the best he could for them, I think. He knew what was out there, and he made sure it couldn't hurt them by preparing them for it. Certainly it wasn't an ideal childhood, but there are definitely worse ones out there.

5. TheMacUnleashed

Feb 2, 2009
    NYCitygurl: Thanks for reminding me! :D I definitely reccomend watching it -now we be a great time to get started, since it's on summer hiatus.

I'm in full agreement. I think that John's ending surmised everything that his character was trying to be, and although it might have taken them awhile to realize it, I think that Sam and Dean came to think that as well.

Although he isn't my favorite, I do like how Azazel has lived on since his death. As you said, it's not that common to see that. All villains since then have tied into his arc in one way or another, which has helped the series progress smoothly from storyline to storyline.

Apparently, Supernatural's sixth season will be on Friday nights, not Thursdays: here. Thoughts?

I suppose that this means I won't be watching Clone Wars while it's first airing anymore. :p

6. Lilith Demodae

Lilith Demodae Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 1, 1999
    I so rarely have time to watch anything the night that it airs, so an altered timeslot will only necessitate a programming change.

On the other hand, a Friday night slot is sometimes considered a deathknell for shows, since it's 'date night' as it were and fewer people will be in their actual homes to watch TV. Of course that was before DVR technology became so prevalent, so it may not be a dark harbinger of doom. Not that I would consider the wrapping up of a story 'doom'. Babylon 5 only ran for 5 seasons, but that was exactly what they'd planned for and exactly how long the story needed, so that was actually a good thing. A good story has a beginning, a middle, and an end, no matter what some TV execs might think.

7. violent-poetry

violent-poetry Jedi Youngling star 1

May 19, 2010
    i must say first off that i am pretty bummed out that the season ended last week. now i need something new to fill that thursday night slot arrrgh! having said that, let us begin.

8. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    Hello again! I'm moving through the series slowly but surely. I've just finished the episode 'Tall Teales' in the final third of season 2.

I thought I would finally answer the questions posted by themacunleashed.

1.) Which brother do you usually prefer to write, and why?

I have written so little, but feel liked Dean is the easier to write. Strange, since I see more of myself in Sam. Dean seems more complex and someone who would be more fun to explore. Sam is not one dimensional, but less interesting. my two cents.

2.) Who has been your favorite villain?

Now that I'm nearing the end of season 2, the yellow eyed demon story seems tired. I wish they would wrap it up already. I guess my favorite villain to date is the hunter who wants to kill Sam. he's annoying, but it's fun to see how they out smart him. somehow, I'm sure he'll be back.

3.) What are your views on John Winchester?

Initially, I was enamored of John given that he was so built up by Dean and derided by Sam. When we finally met him, post pilot, he was a sad man. I never really got past how he wore his greif on his face and in his entire bearing. Cool hunter. Bad a$$ when necessary, but sad.

I also agree with Dean that it was wrong for John to burden Dean with what ifs about Sam and even suggesting that he might have to kill him. Then again, John has always been obssessed with the demon and his plans.

By the way, I'm look for some plot bunnies or challenges for this fandom. Second season timeframe of course. Can anyone help me?

9. TheMacUnleashed

Feb 2, 2009
    One of the best things about Supernatural[/i] is that it manages to transition between villain arcs: while the YED is the main one for the first two seasons, there are a lot of smaller, monster-of-the-week type villains as well, and a few other recurring ones that aren't the Big Bad.

As for plot bunnies, would anyone else be interested in doing a challenge?

10. Ceillean

Ceillean Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 13, 2001
    I'm a huge Supernatural fan but I've never tried writing a fanfic before.
    So I'd be up for a challenge.

I'm really looking forward to the next season. [face_dancing] Just a few more weeks.

I read somewhere that the next season will focus more on the brothers. Because seriously -- what could be bigger than the Apocalypse? So they seem to be returning to what the show started out as. Just Sam and Dean on the road.

But then again...Dean has Lisa now...

11. TheMacUnleashed

Feb 2, 2009
    Ceillean, I know! I'm really looking forwards to seeing what they come up with in Season 6. It's a bit nerve-wracking to hear it referred to as "A sequel to the movie," given what reputation sequels have -but then again, ESB was a sequel :p

As for a challenge/ideas, hmm. [face_thinking] How about trying to write pre-series fanfic -what was it like for John right after Mary had died? Or, why did Sam leave for Stanford? We've yet to really see those areas explored on t.v. (the comics have shown us a bit, but, as with Star Wars, I don't believe they're the highest level of canon).

12. brodiew

Oct 11, 2005
    Boy does this thread need an UP! I've completed through disc three of Season 4 and continue to, slowly but surely, make my way to the present. I've enjoyed Supernatural for the most part, but, now, wonder how their will deal with the biblical elements which have been introduced. I know it will not be consisten with the Bible, but it's interesting to see the themes of faith, love, and sacrifice explored on a weekly basis.

I've also tried to jump start my work within the fandom with a new drabble/ficlet thread. I'm gaining confidence and hoping that more inspiration will continue to come.

13. brodiew

Oct 11, 2005
    Really? No one?

I just finished Season 4. Season 5 may be a bit of a wait.

Where are you, Mac? Kaeline?

14. TheMacUnleashed

Feb 2, 2009
    brodiew, I'm all caught up, and waiting for 6.12 -:mad: I can't believe they pushed it backed another week. And announcing that they would be doing that the day before it's supposed to premier? Not cool at all.

You're in for a real treat with Season Five. It received mix reviews, but I really like the majority of it. :D

15. Raphire

Raphire Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 19, 2008
    Sigh. I finished the second season and now I'm trying to find the third. Anyone know an online spot to watch Supernatural?

Well I've never written Supernatural but I have always wanted to. I guess it's a matter of something striking my muse.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.