main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Nash, TN Anyone want to do a fanfilm?

Discussion in 'SouthEast Regional Discussion' started by schrodinger_I, Jun 25, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. schrodinger_I

schrodinger_I Jedi Youngling

Jun 25, 2001
    I have DV camera and editing software. Does anyone want to put together a fanfilm. Email me at:
    linnaeus@concentric.net

Jonathan

2. Hama

Hama Retired GSA, Retired RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2000
    Funny you should ask... elanrai, penzargrat, and I are just finishing up a fan film called Star Wars: Quest for Vengeance. Hopefully, the trailer should be online within the next month, and the rest of the movie shortly thereafter.

So yes, I'd be interested in doing a fan film. In fact, I was just sharing an idea for a quick 6-minute SW comedy skit with Jay this morning. It's based on the skit "Ti Kwan Leep" by The Frantics, which I call "Jedi Kwan Leep." I have the .wav file of the original skit if anyone wants me to send it to them. Probably ICQ is the best way for me to send it to anyone (my number is 95121404).

3. zmgba

zmgba Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 15, 2001
    I might, my friend and I are in the early stages of preproduction with our own. We might be interested though. He and I had a little choregraphying back in our Tae Kwon Do days, and we sword fight some :)

What software do you have?

4. elanrai

elanrai Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 6, 2000
    There is definitely room for some actors in the next installment of our fan film. We'd be more than honored to have your help.

For Quest For Vengeance we are using Adobe Premiere, Photoshop, Ulead Mediastudio Pro & Video Wave. I can almost guarantee I am leaving out one or two though. Hama-Ryu Kinnebi is working on our opening crawl (with Adobe After Effects) as we speak. It looks to be an interesting debut fan film for us. We plan to use bluescreen more in the next one. We basically are doing this just for fun and nothing more.

5. schrodinger_I

Jun 25, 2001
    I have Final Cut, Premiere, and After Effects, I am still learning. I have done some rudimentary green screen work and some rotoscoping(the infamous light saber). I am really impressed with how it is possible to get a light saber effect that is as good or better than the original Star Wars movie. Now I wonder how I can do a Blaster...

6. elanrai

Dec 6, 2000
    I do all of my laser blaster rotoscoping within Ulead Mediastudio Pro. It has a nice onion-skin tool that makes it easy to path the shot from a blaster.

If I had a Mac, I'd probably use Final Cut Pro too.

7. schrodinger_I

Jun 25, 2001
    I also have a PC but have found the Mac to be a really awesome tool for both Photo and Video editing. I certainly don't miss the infamous "Blue Screen of Death" I experienced frequently while running Windows. I am a recent Mac convert but still use PCs. Do you have any samples of laser blasts you could send me? I would really like to see the effect. If you want a Light Saber demo I could send you one if you don't already do saber effects.

Thanks,
    Jonathan

8. elanrai

Dec 6, 2000
    Sure. I can send you a clip featuring the blasts that "we" use. Now, granted, this may not be the way ILM does it, but it DOES get the job done. :)

I use Photoshop for all lightsabre effects currently. And yes, I'd be most definitely interested in seeing some of your work. I love to learn how others do this! :D

I am off work tomorrow (Thursday) so I will find a decent server to post it and send you the link. What is your email?

9. schrodinger_I

Jun 25, 2001
    My email is linnaeus@concentric.net. I use Photoshop for my light saber effects as well. I wish I could find a faster way to do it without having to edit it frame by frame. Any ideas?

Thanks,
    Jonathan

10. schrodinger_I

Jun 25, 2001
    Have you tried filming models against a blue or greenscreen? I am working on it but want to find a good way to simulate motion without having to build a motion control setup like ILM uses...

-Jonathan

11. elanrai

Dec 6, 2000
    I know what you mean with the Photoshop. It truly isn't set up for doing video editing unfortunately. I have heard that people get generally good results with using After Effects, but I don't have a clue about that program. Photoshop is tedious. I just wished it had an onion-skin tool like Ulead's Video Paint. As for other options, Clay Kronke (big lightsabre rotoscoper) uses Ulead for pretty much ALL his effects. I think Ulead has MANY useful effects but I still think the quality of Photoshop's sabres are much better.

Actually, penzargrat, the writer/director/producer of our fanfilm is trying to do this now. This is really all that is left to film are the models. I am not to adept at blue/greenscreening as of yet. I am sure by the time this movie is finished, I will have some concept of it.

12. zmgba

Jun 15, 2001
    Aren't there 2 ways to do lightsabers in photoshop?

Like Darel guys way (under the Premiere example)
    or
    The frame by frame Outer Glow (under the Photshop examples)

My friend and I are using the premiere way since you only have to do outer glow once, but you have to use Gaussian Blur a lot.

13. elanrai

Dec 6, 2000
    As far as I know, there are 2 ways to do it.

I found Darryl Finley's example to not give me good results compared to the layering way I do it. I paint the sabre on one layer, triple that layer, run different gaussian blurs and glows on each. It seems to work except it is really hard to see the sabre from the previous frame and it's exact location in comparison to the frame you are working on. That is only a problem if I can't see the sabre real well in that frame.

14. elanrai

Dec 6, 2000
    Ok schrodinger_I,

I have the link uploaded to a site. It should be in your email right now. It isn't perfect but it got the job done for us.

15. schrodinger_I

Jun 25, 2001
    Ok I will take a look when I get home. If you ever have the need to film some miniatures, I know a guy that is really awesome at constructing models from scratch (styrene sheets) and could help. He has a small vacuum table to form any custom parts needed. I am trying to get him to help me build a large vacuum table so we can make a batch of Storm Trooper armor. If you know of anyone who would be interested, let me know...

Thanks,
    Jonathan

16. elanrai

Dec 6, 2000
    Funny you say that. We really need some mini-city structures. I think penzargrat may already have done this.

I'd be more than interested in helping out, but of course I am quite a few miles away. Maybe we can plan something sometime.

17. zmgba

Jun 15, 2001
    Elanrai, could you post your blaster clip so myself and the others could look at it?

18. elanrai

Dec 6, 2000
    Sure thing. This footage may take a while to download due to the server. If so, let me know and I will move it another one.

Blaster Test Footage

Oh yeah, make sure you right click-Save as.

19. zmgba

Jun 15, 2001
    It says it is not available and www.questforvengence.com doesn't work either (I'm guessing they are the same, with a redirect domain)

20. elanrai

Dec 6, 2000
    Wow. I do not know what happened there. It sure is down. Let me look into it.

EDIT: Unbelievable!! Geocities erased the whole site!! Oh, man this bites. Let me find another server for the footage as WELL as the site itself.

21. Hama

Hama Retired GSA, Retired RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2000
    I hope you've got the site backed up on a disk or something. Have I mentioned lately that GeoCities sucks?

EDIT: No? Well, it does. :p

22. elanrai

Dec 6, 2000
    Needless to say, I created a new account there to host the site. If anyone has any other suggestions that doesn't cost anything, let me know.

23. elanrai

Dec 6, 2000
    Yes, Hama. I have it all backed up. THANK GOODNESS!! I am going to re-upload the footage to our fan film site. Just make sure you click the link from our site. I think direct linking to geocities' sites gets your account banned or something.

If you need a direct link, here is the 69megs.com one. Granted, this site is slow but it'll do until I get a better host.

Blaster Test Footage

24. zmgba

Jun 15, 2001
    www.f2s.com

You get 15MB (I think) a subdomain and no banners/ads!!

You have to use FTP, which is the only down side.

25. elanrai

Dec 6, 2000
    Thanks, zmgba. I will check it out. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.