main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Anyone Watching "Tin Man"?

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by Jedimarine, Dec 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedimarine

Jedimarine Force Ghost star 5

Feb 13, 2001
    I know it's a sci-fi original and therefore has 7.5 strikes against it already...but I've caught chunks...and for once...It doesn't leave me so sick that I just want to call them up an chastise them about canceling SG-1 for hours on end...at least not first thing.

Anyone else dared a peak?

2. Jedi_Johnson

Jedi_Johnson Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 6, 2002
    I wanted to watch it, but I don't have SciFi channel on my cable package. If it comes out on DVD I may rent/buy it. It does look interesting, but seeing as its a SciFi mini-series I don't want to get my hopes up.

3. Epicauthor

Epicauthor Jedi Master star 4

Aug 2, 2002
    I really like it so far. Yes, it's got some cringe moments and I think Zooey Deschanel took her direction the wrong way, but over all it's a neat concept done very well. They are slowly giving away what the O.Z. actually is without keeping the secret for the secrets sake. I have my suspicions and if tehy are correct, well, then they will have actually (IMHO) done a very clever take on the story.

4. xm41

xm41 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 5, 2007
    I tried watching cause I like Zooey Deschanel but I gave up about 30 min in. I just don't like fantasy. I'm more into spaceships and science.

Ron

5. Equal_Protection

Equal_Protection Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 27, 2004
    I've only caught bits and pieces of it. What's your theory on the OZ?

6. Epicauthor

Epicauthor Jedi Master star 4

Aug 2, 2002
    I think it's the Oz we know, but in their future. The queen is Ozma, as an adult. I'm pretty sure the Wizard went back to Oz at one point with Dorothy and that's what the Mystic Man was. The Tin Men are a throw back to the original Tin Man who was a protector of Dorothy, and presumably the Scarecrow after he took power for a time in Oz.

There are loads of references in the movie which, on the surface, are really annoying, but if my theory is correct, they are giant clues to the true nature of the O.Z.

7. Jedimarine

Feb 13, 2001
    Interesting.

See I was thinking the witch was more like Dorothy...she is the children's tale gone wrong...she took up the mantle in OZ instead of going home...and DG is the correction to this...in the end.

8. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Yeah, I too thinks it's in their future. The mother I think is the good witch of the original. I like how they did al the characters with a more "realistic" twist, or at least as real as it can get in this kind of story.

And is it just me or does the Tin Man seem like Han Solo to you? He even calls DG "princess" a couple times!

9. Jedimarine

Feb 13, 2001
    It's old west, gunslinger sheriff mentality...which is stuff Han Solo was based on. So yes, he's like Han Solo...but the characterization is deeper and draws from more then that.

10. Darth_Maul_Sith_Lord

Darth_Maul_Sith_Lord Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 11, 2004
    I've got it TiVoed, I'm about an hour into it... It's not that bad, considering, it's a Sci-fi Channel Original... but what's with all the stupid little things like referring to OZ as the O.Z., which always makes me think about the horrible O.C. crapola.

I'm kinda on the fence right now... I just don't quite understand why they couldn't have done this without the whole wizard of Oz thing behind it. It really doesn't need it, in fact I think that it strays so far from OZ that trying to spin it as a re-imagining of the classic, hurts more than helps it.

D_M_S_L

11. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    You'll see in the last third. I think it turned out pretty good.

12. rechedelphar

rechedelphar Jedi Master star 6

Mar 29, 2004
    My dad is and it burning up large chunks of space on the DVR with it.

13. Jedimarine

Feb 13, 2001
    Final thoughts:

Wasn't too bad.

Some of the effects were terrific...and some seemed rushed...and some seemed downright cheap...so a "C" in that department.

The supporting cast was phenomenal...particular praise to Cain (Tin Man) and Glitch and the entire cast of the witch's minions...job well done. "A"

Zooey Deschanel delivered her signature deadpan performance...the sarcasm was fine...but in the end when she actually was suppose to emote something between fear and sadness...yeah...big failure...she is a character actor...period...stop casting her in larger roles. "D"

Plot was interesting...though did we have to refer to it as "the O.Z."? All I could think was "the OC" and I wanted to throw a shoe through the screen...most of the reinvention worked great...except for the changling Todo...good grief...that's the best you could do to get it in?
    "B"

Overall, i found it a decent once through...but repeat viewing is out of the question...though I'm sure Sci-fi will play it 127 times before we get through May Sweeps...so chances are good, even if you don't want to invest the time to actually sit and watch this...you'll probably see the whole thing in pieces over the course of 5 months just flipping across Sci-fi randomly.

Final Grade: "B-"

14. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Meant to see it but missed it. Those at work who watched it seemed to hate it and the few good words here are the first I'd heard.

Not a bad thing, because if I think it's bad, it'll wind up being better than I thought.

Or not...

15. gonzoforce

gonzoforce Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 27, 2002
    saw the first part, have the other parts on my dvr. Mainly only seeing it cause of Zooey Deschanel and Richard Dreyfuss.

was Dreyfuss in the parts 2 and 3?

16. Jedimarine

Feb 13, 2001
    Part 2 mostly...some flashback things in part 3. He's not very big in it.

17. RedHanded_Jill

RedHanded_Jill Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 16, 2004
    we all watched it and thought it was great. it was based on a comic that reinvisioned the dorothy myth. zooey was the weak actor but overall it was quite good.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.