main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:VIC ANZAC Day: A sombre reflection on a beautiful day.

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by Protege-of-Thrawn, Apr 24, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Protege-of-Thrawn

Protege-of-Thrawn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 14, 2001
    A thread to put forth your thoughts on this, the greatest day on the Australian Calendar.

I'll post mine later, but for now I open the floor.

Lest We Forget.

P.S. Wasn't that one of the most exciting quarters of football this year? Carn the Bombers!! What a fantastic game this will be, either way! Go James Hird you champion!!!

2. Protege-of-Thrawn

Mar 14, 2001

Half Time: Okay, I wont make this the football thread, so I'm editting here.
    GO Lloyd!! What a goal after half time! from 55metres out, after the siren, and goal! 4 for the quarter!
    Hird your a champion, McVeigh and Cupido are stars, Hille your a fool, get out of the ruck and let Alessio play!! Buckley, how the hell have you managed 21 possessions already? You nut!

Oh this is the BEST footy match I've seen in years. So bloody close, every player of each team going nuts, but Essendon currently proving themselves the better!

PPS. If we lose, I'm sure Mixo's going to make me eat my words!!

Three Quarter Time:
    Oh my lord, my heart nearly stopped when the bloody Umpire gave ANOTHER - the fourth for the game - free kick in front of goal for Collingwood. My blood boiled when they managed to get within a bloody goal.
    But it took a CHAMPION like James Hird, the greatness of Rioli and Cupido, the courage of Solomon, McVeigh, Lucas and Danny Jacobs: what a champion!

The premiership quarter, and I'm feeling good!

3. JADES_FIRE

JADES_FIRE Jedi Master star 4

Dec 3, 2001
    17 mins left and Ess are up by 37 points. :_|

I tipped the Pies. :(

16 mins left and they're now 43 points up. :_|

4. DarkJediTJ

DarkJediTJ Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 26, 2000
    :: Reflects but has not got enough energy to make any more of a commitment seeing his trip to Sunbury/Mount Macedon/Memorial Cross/Romsey was rather hard ::

5. AdmiralZaarin

AdmiralZaarin Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 8, 2001
    [image=http://www.lipika.clara.net/family/famimages/gallipoli.jpg] = heroes who sacrificed their lives so that we could be free from from this chap:

[image=http://www.4dw.net/royalark/Turkey/Mehmed%20V.jpg]

who was friends with this guy,

[image=http://www.ica-d.de/srv/chr/pic/ap168a.jpg]

who, aswell as wearing silly hats, wanted to take over the world.

[image=http://www.3dflags.com/assets/XV21AE/gif/2/a/3dflagsdotcom_austr_2fawm.gif]
    [image=http://www.3dflags.com/assets/XV21AE/gif/2/n/3dflagsdotcom_newze_2fawm.gif]

The soldiers who died for these flags are among the bravest men in history.

EDIT:

We should also remember the courage of the Turks like this man

[image=http://jeru.huji.ac.il/jeru/pic12-small.gif]

who died not because they were evil but because they were true patriots who loved Turkey enough to give their lives for her.

6. Protege-of-Thrawn

Mar 14, 2001
    Well put my fine furry fiend.

I'll take a moment to say: CARN' THE BOMBERS!!! What a beauty! Hird is a bloody Champion, INSPIRATIONAL performance! Lloyd is back, Cupido is exciting, Danny Jacobs is firm, FIRM i tell you!! and Lucas, Rioli and Jason Johnson are CHAMPIONS!
    Hille, your a bludger, the rest of them are true blue Aussie champs though, who typify the Digger spirit and mentality. May well you kiss that medal James Hird, no greater winner plays our grand ol' game....

7. HawkNC

HawkNC Former RSA: Oceania star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2001
    Whilst you may think that PoT's ramblings have no relation to ANZAC Day whatsoever, and on the surface this may appear to be the truth, one must look deeper to discover the true meaning of his words.

Think about this for a moment: what better way is there to honour our troops and fallen mates than to see Essendon, the righteous team and worthy winners, soar to victory? It's all about metaphors. The Bombers are the symbols of military strength and Aussie mateship, they embody all that ANZAC Day stands for. The black and red, signs of our mixed heritage, complement each other perfectly and work together towards a common goal. The Magpies, hodgepodge team that they are, symbolise the conflict and shambles that war truly is. The black and white clash instead of complementing, much similar to the way armies clash in war. And so the Bomber's victory is a perfect example of the ANZAC spirit triumphing over war and allowing peace to reign.

In conclusion, c'arn the Bombers and Lest We Forget.

(Disclaimer: the above piece does not represent the views of the administration. It is not intended to make a mockery of this most solemn day. The administration wholeheartedly supports ANZAC Day and everything it stands for, and understands the spirit of the occasion.)

[image=http://users.ev1.net/~medosier/Cool_pics/Salute.jpg]

8. Rogue_Product

Rogue_Product Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 12, 2002
    Whatever happened to ANZAC biscuits?

9. MarvinTheMartian

MarvinTheMartian Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 31, 2002
    I made some biscuits today. But they joined at the sides, so i had Anzac cakes.

10. Rogue_Product

Rogue_Product Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 12, 2002
    I'd like ANZAC cake. Or pie.

11. AdmiralZaarin

AdmiralZaarin Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 8, 2001
    Mmm...assorted Anzac food...

12. TheBoogieMan

TheBoogieMan Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 14, 2001
    i think John Howard doesn't know the meaning of the ANZAC day slogan.

and the biscuits are damn nice.... :p

13. the_jedi_princess

the_jedi_princess Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 26, 2002
    Walking through the crosses with popies attached at the Ballarat memorial, I came across one that made me double take. Kneeling, I read the name out loud to my parents; it was my Grandfather.

I never knew my Grandfather, though he didn't die in the war, but you would not believe how proud I felt. It is something I will remember for life.

14. SithLord-Mixo

SithLord-Mixo Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 21, 2002
    Hey Jedi Princess do you go to school in Ballarat? I am from Ballarat!

15. Protege-of-Thrawn

Mar 14, 2001
    Exactly TBM, Our Prime Minister has seemingly forgotten the sacrosant creed we Australians honour and live by.

We honour the sacrfice, of those who died to keep us free. Those who died DEFENDING this country from War, so we could live in peace FOREVERMORE.

This is their message, and their dying wish. That we always remember their sacrfice, and honour it by always striving toward Peace.

Peace is holy, and they died to defeat War forevermore.

This is their message.

LEST WE FORGET.

16. TheBoogieMan

Nov 14, 2001
    exactly PoT. lest we forget. John Howard has forgotten. arg!

and i am also from ballarat!

17. the_jedi_princess

the_jedi_princess Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 26, 2002
    I attend the Ballarat Uni, but I was also born and bred here. Good to know that we have the numbers. Maybe we should stage a revolt (like Eureka Stockade) and take over the leadership here. [face_devil]

I think it's great the support ANZAC day still has, not to mention the biscuits...

18. Protege-of-Thrawn

Mar 14, 2001
    I ate some Anzac biscuits for dinner!

Can you smell the Uni student poverty? ;)

19. SithLord-Mixo

Apr 21, 2002
    Yes Princess Lute is also from Ballarat.
    What course are you doing?

20. TheBoogieMan

Nov 14, 2001
    any *ahem* thoughts that certain *ahem* people may be having about staging a ballarat coup of the leadership would have *ahem* a certain someone's support...

21. lordvaderFF

lordvaderFF Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2000
    Can anyone say "Road Trip to Ballarat" ?

Anzac day......I always get a tear in my eye when I hear the Last post played in the dawns early light.

The thought of those brave people, pinned down in the trenches, with only the sounds of rifle shells and artillary whizzing past to keep them company.

The sight of their mates, face down in the mud and slush, never to share a beer again, never to know the joy of going home.

We should never forget the supreme price these heroes paid, so that we can enjoy the life we live today.

Lest we forget....

22. TheBoogieMan

Nov 14, 2001
    i see you guys have succumbed to the dark side of westie-ville (or ballarat)

23. SithLord-Mixo

Apr 21, 2002
    Ballarat people are not westies!!!!
    We are educated and well mannered farm people

24. Protege-of-Thrawn

Mar 14, 2001
    Inncidently, did anyone buy any of the delicious "slouchies" made by the ingenious Dezza Hinch?

All profit went to charity, and the taste is enough to make you feel almost guilty about helping out those in need.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.