main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Oceania ANZAC DAY - Lest We Forget

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by Adalia-Durron , Apr 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Adalia-Durron

Adalia-Durron WNU/Costume/Props/EUC Mod. star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jun 3, 2003
    Today we remember the Australian and New Zealand men and women who have fought over the last 100 or more years to keep our nations free as they are. I, personally, want to thank them for their sacrifice and devotion to duty. I want to thank my father, my grandfather and my great Uncles (all eight of them, seven of who died in ANZAC Cove). Thank you.

At the going down of the sun...

I crouched in a shallow trench on that hell of exposed beaches... steeply rising foothills bare of cover... a landscape pockmarked with war?s inevitable litter... piles of stores... equipment... ammunition... and the weird contortions of death sculptured in Australian flesh... I saw the going down of the sun on that first ANZAC Day... the chaotic maelstrom of Australia?s blooding.

I fought in the frozen mud of the Somme... in a blazing destroyer exploding on the North Sea... I fought on the perimeter at Tobruk... crashed in the flaming wreckage of a fighter in New Guinea... lived with the damned in the place cursed with the name Changi.

I was your mate... the kid across the street... the med. student at graduation... the mechanic in the corner garage... the baker who brought you bread... the gardener who cut your lawn... the clerk who sent your phone bill.

I was an Army private... a Naval commander... an Air Force bombardier. no man knows me... no name marks my tomb, for I am every Australian serviceman... I am the Unknown Soldier.

I died for a cause I held just in the service of my land... that you and yours may say in freedom... I am proud to be an Australian.

The ODE

They shall grow not old

as we that are left grow old

Age shall not weary them

nor the years condemn.

At the going down of the sun

and in the morning

we will remember them.

LEST WE FORGET

[image=http://www.ballinarsl.com.au/anzac-day/images/anzac-07.jpg] [image=http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f302/beebeejaybee/Blog%20stuff/anzac.jpg]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.