1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events: Supanova: Adelaide (20th-22nd November), Brisbane (27th-29th November)

Oz Comic Con: Brisbane (19th-20th September), Sydney (26th-27th September)

Oceania ANZAC Day

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by HawkNC, Apr 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HawkNC Former RSA: Oceania

star 6
    It's about dawn here, so this seems appropriate. Remember today those who gave their lives in the endless pursuit of freedom, not only for Australians but for people all over the world.

[image=http://www.gruntsview.org/S_anzac.jpg]

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old;
    Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
    At the going down of the sun and in the morning
    We will remember them.

Lest We Forget.
  2. milney Force Ghost

star 5
  3. TheBoogieMan Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Lest We Forget.

An interesting sentence, to be sure. As the original ANZACs clambered up onto Gallipoli peninsula, what were they fighting for? Why were they invaders in a foreign land? The overwhelming amount of literature on the Great War (especially by survivors) seems to me, to argue that the argument that they fought for the defence of Freedom and their way of life is nothing but a great joke. Mislead by politicians and blind patriotism. So what are we meant not to forget? The sacrifice they gave, or the horrors of war, or perhaps the unnecessary causes of the conflict? Perhaps all three.

It seems to me that ANZAC Day is less a rememberance of peace than a glorification of war. While jingoistic Australians camp out at Gallipoli as we speak, with beer cans in hand, it seems clear to me that there is no point in even saying "Lest We Forget", as we have all but forgotten what the generation of survivors wanted us to remember. If we can be foolishly led to an unnecessary war in a foreign land, just as those ANZACs were in 1914, then what we worship on ANZAC Day is the same blind stupidity that led to the senseless destruction and deaths of so many thousands of Australians all those years ago.
  4. Kartanym Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    It's respecting those that gave their lives for a cause that just wasn't justified. But you can't hide from the fact that it was a terrible campaign, perhaps the worst of WW1, and certainly the worst of any military campaign Australia and New Zealand have been involved in.

This isn't a celebration of war. It's simply a way to remember our past, no matter how good or bad it may have been.
  5. Detonating-Rabbit Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    ?1915. Australia?s entry into the Company of Nations?no finer entry in all history...to have leapt into Nationhood, Brotherhood and Sacrifice in one bound...what a year.?
    Captain F. B. Stanton,
    14th Battalion...

Deceased at Bullecourt, 11th April, 1917.

Through the dank darkness of night to the misery of dawn,
    This battle persists through the snow of the morn?.
    The young soldier shrinks
    Away from the fray,
    And prays to the Lord
    He lives out this day.

Through the roaring of guns, the explosions of shells,
    The soldier dreams to be away from this Hell.
    Alone in this Battle,
    The soldier lies scared,
    The blackness surrounds him,
    They no longer cared.

For those Generals in charge, and all their ?yes-men?,
    Thought up another battle again.
    ?And this one is it,?
    They promised, they lied.
    The Final Breakthrough.
    But most everyone died.

/>
  6. Kehleyr Force Ghost

star 4
    I didn't go to anything today, but watched the various services and such on TV. Also got to see my baby brother on TV! Mum was at the march, so these photos were taken by her in Sydney...

[image=http://www.roogirl.com/albums/AnzacDay06/Dsc00066.jpg]
    Riderless horse for those who passed in the Boer War

[image=http://www.roogirl.com/albums/AnzacDay06/Dsc00067.jpg]
    Riderless horse for those who passed in WW1

[image=http://www.roogirl.com/albums/AnzacDay06/Dsc00075.jpg]
    My baby brother with his crew from HMAS Sydney

[image=http://www.roogirl.com/albums/AnzacDay06/Dsc00081.jpg]
    Love this photo!

[image=http://www.roogirl.com/albums/AnzacDay06/Dsc00085.jpg]
    Smokey Dawson

[image=http://www.roogirl.com/albums/AnzacDay06/Dsc00097.jpg]
    One of a few Dakota's that flew overhead during the parade
  7. Kartanym Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    That last photo has an interesting poetic like touch to it. I like it :)
  8. Kehleyr Force Ghost

star 4
    yah me too, the other 2 she took of the Dakota's were way blurry and that one was just perfectly done!
  9. HawkNC Former RSA: Oceania

star 6
    <3 Dakotas. An elegant aircraft, from a more civilised time. ;)

TBM: well, someone's been reading The Age. :p I wouldn't say ANZAC Day is a day of celebration or glorification, and most people who respect it know that. You only have to go to the dawn services to see what it's all about. "Lest We Forget" means remembering the people, their actions and their sacrifices so that we don't make the same mistakes. Certainly there are those who take away the wrong message from it, but the spirit of ANZAC Day has always been one of remembrance only, and should remain so. Remember what they gave so that we wouldn't have to.
  10. Saintheart Chosen One

star 6
    I will agree that ANZAC Day shouldn't be hijacked for political purposes...but Gallipoli isn't all that the day is about. Personally, I've always thought Kokoda should be the centrepoint of the ANZAC celebrations.

Yes!

2,000 Australians vs 10,000 Japanese!

Australia > Japan!

:D
  11. Kartanym Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Ah yeah, good point. Speaking of, anyone seen the movie that just came out? I'm hearing good things about it.
  12. Ender Sai Chosen One

star 9
    This is a fantastic little speech from Frank Bethune, a young lieutenant commanding No. 1 Section, 3rd Machine Gun Co at Passchendaele on the Western Front in March 1918. Ordered to defend an exposed position, he issued the following Special Orders to the seven souls in his section:

1. This position will be held, and the section will remain here until relieved.
    2. The enemy cannot be allowed to interfere with this programme.
    3. If the section cannot remain here alive, it will remain here dead, but in any
    case it will remain here.
    4. Should any man, through shell shock or other cause, attempt to surrender, he
    will remain here dead.
    5. Should all guns be blown out, the section will use Mills grenades, and other
    novelties.
    6. Finally, the position, as stated, will be held.

Although the section was isolated, it held the position for 18 days. Bethune?s orders were later
    circulated to the Allied armies in France, and reproduced as posters in the Second World War
    under the caption: "The spirit which won the last war."

E_S
  13. PulsarSkate Ex-Mod

star 7
    This is what it should be. I think that we should honour the men who had the courage to go to war for what they believed in, and seeing as a lot of my extended family (not the last two generations, but the previous ones) lost their lives for this, I think that ANZAC day is a good way to do it. A chance for soldiers to remember what happened, and to impress on the younger generations, who have not seen war the gravity of the situation.

I don't like the way Gallipoli has become a party ground for drunken yobbos to stampede the people who are there for more respectful reasons than celebrating the "Aussie" spirit of getting spastic drunk and singing along to Khe San. Personally, the sports carnival atmosphere portrayed in the media was rather sickening. It wasn't like we lost the soccer and everone went home and had a nice cup of tea and shook hands with the otherside. People were slaughtered, on both sides in a campaign that was ill thought out. Painting your face and wearing a flag as a cape doesn't seem right to me. Perhaps the war has been romanticised beyond redemption? I don't know...I never actually gave the day much thought until now.

Sidenote: The passion on the face of the representative of the Turkish Forces who spoke at Gallipoli's Dawn Service was interesting to watch too, I would have liked to know what he said in his speech.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.