main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

AOL SW Fan Forum oldbies...Reunite!

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by Sturm Antilles, Mar 9, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sturm Antilles

Sturm Antilles Former Manager star 6

Jun 22, 2000
    Anyone else remember the good old pre-JC days of chatting at the AOL Star Wars Fan Forum? Things were pretty fun in there during 1996-98, during the production of The Phantom Menace and the release of the Special Editions.

I was mostly a lurker, but I occasionally added comments in Books & Stories and Prequel Discussion ( sure is funny thinking of old theories...I remember some guy denying that Anakin would be from Tatooine, despite confirmation of the planet in TPM. )

From that forum, I remember the long debates between Mercerton and Lazrwriter over the merits of ANH:SE after a December preview screening ( anyone remember the rumor that ILM fiddled with the now-infamous Greedo shot again, after a negative reaction at test screenings? ), and everyone speculating on the Episode I's plot, with a lot of ideas looking to the story of Dune for parallels.

In Books & Stories, I remember the popularity of the X-wing books, and the long debates as to who Luke should end up with. And finally, all of those Mara fans got their wish, and the Callista fans had to hang their heads in shame.

I remember the posts of Winter1138, who would occasionally talk to Stackpole, LadyVad357, Carla Lute, XxJusBobxX...even SW authors/editors, including Steve Perry, former editor Tom Dupree, and Ann Crispin.

And then there was the fan-fiction, As The Cantina Turns, 1001 Muftak Jokes...

Let us reminesce.

And for starters, here's the only old post of mine that I could find on the search engine...

Subject: The Last Command
    Date: 12/2/97 11:15 PM Pacific Standard Time
    Message-id: <19971203071501.CAA03919@ladder01.news.aol.com>

I hadn't read it since Xmas 1994 and by the Force, that freaking book is good! My favorite used to be Dark Force Rising, but I changed my mind after recently reading TLC. I just started to read Specter from the Past this week, so we'll see if my current fav gets bumped again in the near future.

-The Enemy Within-

I sounded like such a knob.

Oh wait. I still do.

2. JadedofMara

JadedofMara Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 16, 2001
    Awww....younger Sturm posting about how much he loves TLC...so cute! :D :D :D

I really wish I was around for that era. I got into SW with the special editions...but everyone who talks about it makes it sound like it was so much fun.

3. Jedi_Liz

Jedi_Liz Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 24, 2000
    yeah, I was there. My username was StarWarsJK. I created the "name Luke's kids" forum topic.

I stopped posting there, oh, probably two years ago. Then I got my own internet and finally got cable internet.

:)

4. Sturm Antilles

Jun 22, 2000
    I remember your name there, Liz. Interesting. :)

5. Sturm Antilles

Jun 22, 2000
    Awww....younger Sturm posting about how much he loves TLC...so cute!

[face_blush]

6. Sturm Antilles

Jun 22, 2000
  7. Sturm Antilles

Jun 22, 2000
  8. TheHuntressDiana

TheHuntressDiana Jedi Padawan star 4

May 4, 2001
    Did any of you participate in the early days of the weekly "Friday Night Star Wars Trivia"? Where regulars like ABoyScout, UncleOwen, Hooks, Leia38D, LeiaSky, YavinIV, Skywlkr005, etc., were all regulars?

I was Leia38D way back then...but I only really went to the trivia sessions...back when they were giving out the "free hour" as a prize. ;)

9. JediFreac

JediFreac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 7, 2002
    I was there, and I remember those jerks were SOOO mean to Steve Perry. But they were nice to Ac Crispin. It was real nice of her to post with us.

And the NJO board had like, nothing to do with NJO...=P

10. Sturm Antilles

Jun 22, 2000
    I did the trivia like one time, and got blown away by people that could type a mile a minute.

I was Leia38D way back then

Best. SN. Ever.

11. DesignSith

DesignSith Jedi Master star 2

Feb 12, 2000
    Hehe. I was there, 95 to 97 as Dunc397.

I mostly stuck to book talk, particularly KJA/ZAhn issues and of course, the 'Who Should Luke Marry' folder. ::snicker::

Good times, good times.

12. Sturm Antilles

Jun 22, 2000
  13. Syntax

Syntax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 1, 2001
    Hey, I remember those boards, back in the day. :)

I used a few usernames:
    BobaFett18
    Boba18Fett
    T800 203 (or T800 205)

I don't recall actually posting anything, but I was around.

I also did a lot of the AOL chatroom-based RPGs ("simming", as they called it). Anyone remember the DarkStar?

14. Sturm Antilles

Jun 22, 2000
    I remember watching a few sim battles. Keyword : Star Wars was the first thing I checked out on AOL, and it used to bring you to the Space Wars sim group, where they had a bunch of SW organizations, like the Chu'unthor Academy and Emperor's Hammer.

15. Syntax

Syntax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 1, 2001
    Yes, exactly! :)

I also used a few other "minor" characters on the general sci-fi simming rooms -- I had an ABC Warbot, a Predator, an Alien, and in the end, I had 9-LOM (just before I left AOL). Those were the days... ;)

16. xie

xie Jedi Knight star 5

May 25, 2002
    I used to chat sim, mostly in Arts and Entertainment> "StarWarsSpaceBattle", but I could be found elsewhere.

17. Jedi_Liz

Jedi_Liz Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 24, 2000
    I thought this thread was DEAD!

As I said before, I was StarWarsJK. I also had other screennames..... ;)

Mara4ever3 was one of my alternatives.

Actually, not sure if that was my exact other one....

18. Elori

Elori Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 18, 2002
    I remember those boards! I used to lurk around and post occasionally in 98, 99. Somewhere around there. I had an old SN: MARAJADE35. Oh the memories and horrors of having AOL...

I remember posting under the thread about who Luke should marry!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.