main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Jedi / Light Side aotc anakin costuming

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Grimby , Jul 1, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    i'm really thinking about ordering all this fabric this week. my only questions now are how much of each to order.

i'm thinking that i may in fact do some under tabards in the tunic fabric just in case i like the way they look on me. as for the pants, i'm not sure if i should have them made in the same fabric as well. if only the mid-thigh to just below the knee will be shown, i'm probably better off finding some similar-colored pants for a much cheaper price. ;)

so how much is enough for the undertunic? the outertunic and tabards? the robe? i'm a bigger guy and i wear XL t-shirts if that helps. ;)

i honestly can't remember how much yardage i used on my obi-wan costume last year, but i do remember that 8' of wool @ 60" was enough for my robe....

2. Primrodo

Primrodo Jedi Master star 4

Jun 23, 2002
    The pants are darker in colour than the tunic anyway, so find a pair and dye if you must :)

3. SithKittie

SithKittie Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 5, 2003
    My guess is around 4-5 yds for the outer tunic (based on a karate gi pattern for XL and compensating for length, tuck, and extra sleve width. the pattern says 3 7/8 yds.) just my guess tho. prolly around 4-4.5 for the inner tunic, mostlikely overestimating. (again using altered karate gi pattern, adding several inches to the length of the sleeve)

Same-color-tabards, it depends how you're doing them. whatever width and length you want, figuring in the width of the fabric, using the fold (if not one solid piece, at least using the fold u can cut the strips in half and sew them together from there), seams, and lining. I went with about a half of a yard of 60" fabric.

If you're doing an obi, I would add in however wide/long (+seams, lining, etc) with the tabard and outer tunic amount. I would use the same cut of fabric because you may get a slightly different dye or texture otherwise, unless ur not as anal as me:p

Pants - my suggestion is deffinitely go with a cheep purchased pair in a similar color. They barely show and that way you'll have pockets ;)

good luck >_< happy buying

4. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    thanks guys!

oops! heh, forgot all about the obi there. ;)
    yes, i'm definitely making one of those.

5. Grimby

Apr 22, 2000
    a tip from Idgie has convinced me to go with some dickies work pants (mohagony) for this costume.

once again, since i'm out of the country, i'll be ordering these online. thanks again idgie! :D

these will get more use out of them than just wearing them with the costume. as a result, i don't think i'll have these altered at the bottom of the legs. i can always fold and tuck them when i put the boots on over them. i do this with my obi wan costume, which i use some union bay khaki's with.

6. SithKittie

Jul 5, 2003
    You know what I did that worked really well for store-bought pants? sounds really dumb, but i wrapped nyolan (or however you spell that) around where the boot was. It made it a ton easier to put my boots on. I had originally intended to use ACE bandages, but we could only find one, so my mom chopped a pair of nyolans and we used that, tho i'm sure the bandages would have worked better ... but anywho. just thought i'd share ;)

7. Grimby

Apr 22, 2000
    good idea! you know with my other costume i had to try and figure out some way to keep my extra long undertunic sleeves bunched up and i used some of those plastic rubber bands for braces :p (or i think they were anyway)

it's amazing what you can come up with at the spur of the moment when you absolutely need to ;)

8. SithKittie

Jul 5, 2003
    that's the understatement of hte century :p Have u figured out how to get the bunching without the bands? I know i figured it out but sorta messed up...underestemated (a first) the length of the sleeves and yeah, they bunched, but barely.

9. Primrodo

Jun 23, 2002
    SithKittie, to get good bunching what you want to do is make the sleave length go further up your hand than normal, maybe even past the fingers, depending how much you want to bunch.

Then taper it starting with the width roughly of your hand with your thumb tucked under. Taper to the pit area and then sew. It automatically bunches when you puch it up to your wrist :)

10. SithKittie

Jul 5, 2003
    yeah, i did that, i just didn't extend it long enough. I only went over maybe three or four inches, so it bunched if my arms were hanging by my sides, but if i moved it pulled straight. It didn't help that I was using linen and that has absolutely no give. plus it was lined, so i had trouble keeping it wide enough to get my hand through, but narrow enough to stay on my wrist (i have really tiny wrists). I ended up having to roll the hem under a few times to stop it from sliding over my hands :p

If i ever get the time/money, I'm definitely making a new inner tunic.

11. Grimby

Apr 22, 2000
    well i've finally got myself moving and ordered the first pieces of the costume.

? dickies work pants - mohagony

? belt making supplies from tandyleather.com:
    • 3" x 50" leather strip

• "Sam Browne" style rivets & setting anvil

• regular style rivets & setting anvil

• fiebings institutional leather dye - med. brown

• rotary leather punch

• cutting shears

? and the final piece of the belt: an authentic anakin style metal belt buckle. check out this page on padawansguide.com (near the bottom) for more details.

i've decided to make a new belt from scratch as i won't be able to make the rest of the costume myself. my seamstress for this project and i will determine how much fabric we'll need in the near future. the only thing left are the boots. hopefully i'll be able to get my order in next weekend.

12. Grimby

Apr 22, 2000
    i'm still waiting for the pants and the belt supplies to get here, but i did make some progress on the boots.

i went down to the boot maker today and brought some pictures of the anakin boots for reference. the guy took my measurements right there and said they'd be ready next sunday. got a great price on them too. i can't wait! :D

13. across0the0stars

across0the0stars Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 29, 2003
    how much did it/is it gonna cost ya?

14. Grimby

Apr 22, 2000
    looks like it should be around $150.

i'll post pics on sunday after i pick up the boots. :D

15. Grimby

Apr 22, 2000
    ok, i'm starting to think about accessories now. at this point, i still have no idea what to do about the pouches for the belt, and the saber. i want to get some pretty accurate pouches, but from what i've seen online, $90 or so for replicas seems a little too steep. anyone know of a good tutorial on making these or know where i can find something for a little less cash?

and what to do about a saber? where can i find a resonably priced anakin hilt?

16. Primrodo

Jun 23, 2002
    For pouches you have a few options.

ReinOne makes great LEATHER jedi pouches, but he's been swamped lately.

You can make your own which would suffice :)
    I had resin ones made for my movie which are great :)

Saber: Good luck. Your best cost effective bet is Rubies ;) You could try hardware or contacting Random Sabers.

Only one person's made an Anakin saber that was perfect so far and it went for 300USD.

Good luck :)

17. Grimby

Apr 22, 2000
    got any links for those places you mentioned?

heh, for the saber i'd definitely want something that wasn't plastic ;)

18. across0the0stars

Jul 29, 2003
    this seemed odd to me... i was reading on padawansguide.com an article of some sort and this sounds awfully odd to me:

"Hayden Christensen had short hair when he first arrived, so we had to just trim it a little bit. We added the braid, which is tied to a little bit of his own hair. We sew the ponytail on the back."
    the article is at padawansguide.com on the bottom of the padme episode two costumes

how the heck would someone sew hair on to someone else's head???? this i Do NOT understand....

19. Primrodo

Jun 23, 2002
    They weaved it. :) Like extentions ;)

20. across0the0stars

Jul 29, 2003
    !! anyone know how ta do that? =P i barely got my bf to agree to wear a costume, and he's definately not gonna grow his hair out for a one time costume thing lol

21. Grimby

Apr 22, 2000
    perhaps try gluing the braid behind his ear somehow? i almost did that for my obi costume since my hair was really short, but decided to go sans braid instead. ;)

22. Primrodo

Jun 23, 2002
    For the braid I made one and then applied SPIRIT GUM to the side of my head behind the ear...

The ponytail was created by a friend of mine, its glued to one of those hair clip things:

[image=http://www.1accesorios.com/images/hairclips705-137M.jpg]

A smaller version of this and just plain :)

I can post a pic later if Grimby doesn't mind :)

23. across0the0stars

Jul 29, 2003
    hmm.... spirit gum was definately among my ideas, but i wasn't too sure how it'd work on hair, was it okay for you?

24. Primrodo

Jun 23, 2002
    don't stick it to your hair...rather the skin below :)

25. jMo_Skywalker

jMo_Skywalker Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 1, 2002
    Does anyone know of a good place to order a complete Anakin costume? I need everything- the cloak, tunics, boots, and belt. It doesnt have to be all on one site, just so I have everything I need. I am making one myself, but it is more or less for fun and I'm not really that into it. I'd like to have one to wear to events. Please PM with an answer. Thanks alot.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.