main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Provo AOTC at IMAX

Discussion in 'SouthWest Region Discussion' started by jedi5150, Sep 26, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jedi5150

jedi5150 Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 4, 2000
    Hi folks,
    Doug from Idaho Falls here. If I'm wrong on this, someone please correct me, but I understand that there is no IMAX theater in Utah. So, we here in Idaho Falls are looking into lobbying to get AOTC at the IMAX in West Yellowstone, MT (about 1.5 hours from here). I'd like to know if any of you (and if so, how many) would be interested in getting together on Nov 1 in West Yellowstone for a premiere of AOTC at the IMAX.

Please email me direct at jedi5150@fanforce.net

Doug

2. Handyman

Handyman Jedi Padawan star 4

May 19, 2000
    Greetings jedi5150,

Utah has several theaters that can play IMAX format films but none of them are "officially" associated with the IMAX corporation at the present time. Only IMAX certified theaters can show exclusive IMAX engagements. I'm not sure if the IMAX AOTC will bear the IMAX name making it exclusive or not.

Lucasfilm is attempting to engage the IMAX clones in commercial IMAX ventures first and then proceed to book with interested museums and national parks. Many such museum IMAX theater owners are quite hesitant to book AOTC and the current run of Apollo 13. These two movies are quite different from the usual "educational" type films that make the IMAX circuit.

Due to the fact that Yellowstone is a national park and relatively remote, my guess is that the chance of it booking AOTC is pretty slim. Most people don't go to Yellowstone just to see Jedi whomping on battle droids. ;)

Another problem for IMAX theathers is whether or not their projection systems can even handle AOTC. Most IMAX movies are 45 minutes to an hour in length. Due to the size of the 70mm IMAX format, a typical film has a platter diameter of nearly four feet! Because of the restrictions, Lucasfilm has made several edits to AOTC. In addtion to being a 4:3 aspect(no widescreen), nearly 20 minutes will be edited from the film. Even then, the platter size for AOTC will probably be somewhere around 7 feet in diameter. Many IMAX projectors just can't handle reels that size.

All that aside, I personally would LOVE to see the IMAX version. I was fortunate enough to see the DIGITAL version of AOTC four times this last summer and it was absolutely BEAUTIFUL! The IMAX version will have brilliant clarity and look just about as good as the digital version.

So, keep us posted, jedi5150. If Yellowstone gets the film, I would consider making the long drive. :eek:

Later,

3. Obey Wann

Obey Wann Former RMFF CR & SW Region RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 14, 2000
    You can always make the trip down here to sunny Phoenix. :D

4. spoo

spoo Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 16, 2001
    Hahaha... Our forum is popular!

5. Handyman

Handyman Jedi Padawan star 4

May 19, 2000
    Hmmmm.... Phoenix, Vegas, Yellowstone. Think of all the places we could go! :D

Seriously, I would love to participate in a big IMAX AOTC event. We'll keep our eyes peeled on the confirmed IMAX engagements. TFN is doing a good job reporting on the latest IMAX news.

Later,

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.