main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Mary AOTC at the Senator?

Discussion in 'NorthEast Regional Discussion' started by ratmankey, Apr 13, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ratmankey

ratmankey Jedi Master star 4

Feb 15, 2002
    Does anyone know for certain if AOTC will be at the Senator Theatre? I've seen the other four films there on day 1, so I plan to continue the tradition. I'm sure it will be there, but I just wanted to know if it's been set in stone or not.

But anyway, hi, some of you may know me from the Lit forum. I'm a Baltimorean. Yup yup. Bye.

2. Mogook

Mogook Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 14, 2001
    The Senator's website say they will get AOTC. I've also heard reports that might have digital projection. But most of us here are probably seeing it at Hoyts West Nursery for the midnight showing.

3. ratmankey

ratmankey Jedi Master star 4

Feb 15, 2002
    Out of curiosity, why there? I've never been there, but it seems like for an "event" movie like AOTC, the Senator is king. Actually the Senator is king for any movie, but that's beside the point :) I waited in front of there for 5 1/2 hours in the baking sun to get Ep 1 tickets, and it was worth it.

And I wouldn't be at all surprised if they do show it digitally. The Senator's great about that sort of thing, they actually shut down the theater before TPM to install brand new projection and sound systems. It's only a matter of time till they install a digital projector, and what better movie to inaugurate it than Star Wars?

And though this is totally off-topic, have you ever noticed how many SW authors reside in Maryland? Ann C. Crispin does, James Luceno does, Brian Daley did, and I think some of the short story writers do too. What is it about this state, I wonder? It certainly opens up opportunities for fan activities, ACC has already said she's open to lectures etc.

4. sithspawn35

sithspawn35 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 22, 2001
    Well, whereever it is everyone goes to see it, I MIGHT be able to make it for the premier. I just bought a new car on Saturday that I can trust to get me there and back in one piece. Now it's a matter of scheduling.

5. Mogook

Nov 14, 2001
    Yeah, a few comic book artists live here too, that's cool. Hey, Maryland is great and Hollywood is starting to use us more often.

I waited in line at Hoyts for tickets too. I got there around 7 am and waited till around 3 pm when they went on sale. It was great. I don't mind the Senator it's just the seating that gets me. Because it's not stadium, you can't see over people in front of you. I'm not the tallest person, so this gets me. But hey, if they change something, or already have, keep me posted.

6. sithspawn35

Jan 22, 2001
    I'm up for anything that has stadium seating.
    We dont even have that uption here on the eastern shore, thus...I've never been to one.
    I think AOTC is the perfect starter....don't you?

7. sithspawn35

Jan 22, 2001
    I'm up for anything that has stadium seating.
    We dont even have that uption here on the eastern shore, thus...I've never been to one.
    I think AOTC is the perfect starter....don't you?

Question? If I can make it up there for opening day.....would someone mind picking me up a ticket. I'll pay in advance, obviously.

8. Mogook

Nov 14, 2001
    Yeah, AOTC is. Hoyts has stadium seating, and nothing blocks your view. It was great when I saw Episode I there. Everyone was cheering during the Lucasfilm logo and "A long time ago..." screen. Then it got quite for the scroll text.

sithspawn, you gotta come down to see AOTC with us at Hoyts. The seating is wonderful.

9. mon-mothma

mon-mothma Jedi Master star 2

Mar 7, 2002
    My son and I want to see AOTC on opening day. I've never done the line waiting thing. What time do I need to plan to get in line to ensure that I'll be able to get at least two tickets to the first showing? If I begin waiting in line on the day of the premiere...like at dawn for example...is that sufficient lead time to get tickets for the first show? Does it premiere at midnight between the 15th and 16th? How does this stuff work? Thanks for any info.

M.M.

10. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    The Senator was where I saw TPM for the first time.

11. mdduckman

mdduckman Jedi Youngling

Apr 15, 2002
    Hey guys...I was in Florida for TPM, but I did manage to make it back here for the premiere at the Senator. I didn't get to see the first showing...that was unfortunately at the Owings Mills theatre, which had the fire alarm pulled not once but twice! I saw the midnight show at OM, and caught the 11 pm showing at the Senator. Totally different enviroment - the OM crowd, even for the first showing, was pretty quiet. The Senator crowd, however, was completely excited and into it. Maybe the fire alarms had something to do with it!!

Anyway, I plan on being at the Senator opening night - hopefully for the midnight show...does anyone know when the seats go on sale?? When I could start camping out for them? (Er, I guess the obvious answer would be that I could start camping out now, but I think that's a bit much...)

I wonder if the Senator will be selling T-Shirts like they did last time???

Can't wait!! I'll be videotaping local news coverage (as I did back in 1999) on the opening...maybe I'll catch some of you on tape?

Take care!!

Mort
    Columbia, MD

12. sithspawn35

Jan 22, 2001
    Hoyts Sound wonderful! I'll be there pending on showitme. Have they announced a time for the first showing? Midnight? Let me know.

13. Mogook

Nov 14, 2001
    It's not official yet whether there'll be a midnight showing. But once the announcment is made, I'll post it.

14. Heather Kenobi

Heather Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 20, 2000
    Uh, I'm not from Baltimore, but I will be in town when AOTC premieres, and I plan on being at the Senator at midnight. You can get on their mailing list of upcoming events which I did, so as soon as tickets go on sale I can find out. Maybe I'll see some of you there. :)

15. Senator_Jedi

Senator_Jedi Jedi Youngling

Jan 16, 2002
    I'll be there, too, and if anyone's interested in joining the group of us going to The Senator or just want to chat while in line, feel free to e-mail me. or visit our website at us.geocities.com/senator_jedi. Should be a lot of fun.

16. TD 88

TD 88 Jedi Youngling

Jul 11, 1998
    The Senator is definitely getting AOTC, but it doesn't look like they will get digital projecton in time. The word I've gotten is that there is a good chance that an Annapolis multiplex (the Harbour cinemas?) will be equipped with digital projection for "Clones."

To my knowledge, the next closest digital venue is New York.

17. Mogook

Nov 14, 2001
    TD, keep us updated about the digital projection in Annapolis. It'd be nice if it was at the new theater that opened in the mall.

18. TD 88

TD 88 Jedi Youngling

Jul 11, 1998
    Will do. I have many ties to the local movie scene. So chances are, I'll know something within the next week or so.

19. Mogook

Nov 14, 2001
    That's great, thanks.

20. sithspawn35

Jan 22, 2001
    Has the Senator renovated or something? I was there in '96 for a friend of mine's (he's an actor) premier. It wasn't all that from what I could tell. It must be really something now to get all this attention.

21. TD 88

TD 88 Jedi Youngling

Jul 11, 1998
    The Senator is the ultimate movie palace in the Baltimore area. And, yeah, it has been renovated. The seats now have cup holders, it's been recarpeted, it just looks great. They also use real butter on the popcorn, they go all out with the decorations (special tickets were printed for Ep. I), and it's one screen and one screen only. That way, when you are watching "Episode II" and Anakin and Amidala are having a quiet moment, you won't hear Spiderman dodging explosive pumpkins from the Green Goblin in the next theater.

Best of all, the Senator is one of the few theaters in Maryland equipped with THX-EX sound. The extra speaker in the back makes a LOT of difference.

If you live in Maryland, and you are gonna see "Attack of the Clones" multiple times, you have to see it at the Senator at least once.

22. sithspawn35

Jan 22, 2001
    thanks, TD88. I'll have to check it out.

23. Mogook

Nov 14, 2001
    I think I'll see it at the Senator at one of the multiple viewings of AOTC. But for the first showing, I really want my stadium seating.

24. TD 88

TD 88 Jedi Youngling

Jul 11, 1998
    Yeah, I hear ya. I've personally never had a problem at the Senator with heads being in the way. But that's because I either sit so close (I wanna feel like I am in the cockpit of Slave I) or because I sit right behind the space reserved for wheelchairs. Nine times out of 10, no one wheels in in front of me.

25. TD 88

TD 88 Jedi Youngling

Jul 11, 1998
    Hey, everyone!

This morning I received an official email from the Senator updating their status with "Clones." I cut and pasted it here. It's not gonna be digital projection, but it's darn close! Read on:

THE SENATOR THEATRE EXPECTS TO BE AWARDED THE PRIVILEGE OF SHOWCASING THE NEW STAR WARS FILM "EPISODE II: ATTACK OF THE
    CLONES", PENDING COMPLETION OF A FORMAL LICENSING AGREEMENT WITH THE FILM'S DISTRIBUTOR. THE DAY WE EXPECT TO COMPLETE THE LICENSING AGREEMENT FOR "EPISODE II: ATTACK OF THE CLONES" IS FRIDAY, MAY 3RD.

WE CANNOT BEGIN ADVANCE TICKET SALES OF "EPISODE II: ATTACK OF THE CLONES" PRIOR TO COMPLETING THE FORMAL AGREEMENT. AT THIS
    TIME WE ARE DETERMINING THE OPTIMAL DATE AND SPECIFIC GUIDELINES REGARDING ADVANCE SALES OF STAR WARS TICKETS.

TO DATE WE HAVE RECEIVED HUNDREDS OF E-MAILS, CALLS AND FAXES FROM AVID STAR WARS/SENATOR THEATRE FANS REGARDING THIS UPCOMING SHOWCASE ENGAGEMENT OF "EPISODE II: ATTACK OF THE CLONES" AT THE SENATOR.

AS STARS WARS FANS OURSELVES, WE APPRECIATE THE INTENSE INTEREST AND ENTHUSIASM CURRENTLY BUILDING AS THE 5/16 RELEASE DATE
    APPROACHES. BY POSTING UPDATED INFORMATION ON OUR WEBSITE AND SENDING E-MAILS DIRECTLY TO OUR LIST MEMBERS WE WILL ATTEMPT TO
    PROVIDE ACCURATE INFORMATION TO ALL CONCERNED.

WE WILL INFORM YOU AS SOON AND IN ADVANCE AS POSIBBLE WHEN WE DETERMINE THE DATE AND TIME THAT TICKETS WILL BE PUT ON SALE.

WE CURRENTLY PLAN TO PRESENT "EPISODE II" UTILIZING A HIGH QUALITY SELECT 35MM VISION PREMIERE FILM PRINT UTILIZING OUR STATE-OF-THE-ART PROJECTION SYSTEM ACCOMPANIED BY THE SENATOR'S RENOWNED DOLBY DIGITAL SOUND WITH "SURROUND EX". WE WILL ALSO INSTALL A NEW 40' HURLEY "SUPER GLO" SCREEN AND CUTTING EDGE NEW LENSES TO PRESENT "EPISODE II". AS ALWAYS WE PLAN TO SEEK FILM PRESENTAION PERFECTION IN SHOWCASING THE LATEST MARVEL FROM LUCASFILM LTD.

ALL TICKETS TO STAR WARS AT THE SENATOR WILL BE $8 EACH FOR ALL SHOWS, AT ALL TIMES, CASH ONLY. PLEASE BE ADVISED THAT WE CANNOT
    ACCEPT PERSONAL CHECKS, TRAVELERS CHECKS OR CREDIT CARDS AT OUR BOX-OFFICE.

AS AN INDEPENDENT SINGLE SCREEN MOVIEHOUSE WE ARE NOT ABLE TO TAKE ANY TICKET RESERVATIONS OVER THE TELEPHONE OR THROUGH OUR WEBSITE AT THIS JUNCTURE. WE SINCERELY REGRET ANY INCONVENIENCE TO OUR PATRONS IN THAT REGARD.

WE PLAN TO OFFER THE FIRST PUBLIC PERFORMANCE OF "EPISODE II: ATTACK OF THE CLONES" AT 12:01AM THURSDAY MAY 16TH AND PROCEED WITH BACK-TO-BACK SHOWS THROUGH THE EARLY MORNING HOURS ON 5/16.

OUR REGULAR FIVE SHOW DAILY SCHEDULE FOR EPISODE II WILL THEN BEGIN FRIDAY MAY 17TH. THE SPECIFIC SHOWTIME SCHEDULE WILL BE ANNOUNCED ON THE SITE AND TO OUR E-MAIL LIST AS SOON AS IT IS AVAILABLE.

WE ALSO DO NOT PLAN ON SPECIFYING OR ENFORCING ANY PARTICULAR PROTOCOL WITH REGARDS TO THOSE WHO WILL BE FORMING A LINE TO PURCHASE STAR WARS TICKETS.

WE APPRECIATE THE SINCERITY OF THE SCORES OF CONTRADICTORY SUGGESTIONS WE HAVE ALREADY RECEIVED REGARDING THIS ISSUE, AND THEY HAVE SIGNALED TO US THAT OUR DIRECT INVOLVEMENT
    IN ADMINISTRATING A SPECIFIC PROTOCOL WOULD BE AN UNWARRANTED AND UNWISE ENDEAVOR.

PLEASE STAY TUNED FOR FURTHER TRANSMISSIONS FROM THE SENATOR THEATRE, YOUR REBEL BASE.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.