main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

AOTC beaten by Spider-Man this summer

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by Darth Blasphemous, Jul 10, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth Blasphemous

Darth Blasphemous Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 21, 1999
    Yep, ol spidey one upped AOTC. IMO, the better film won out. I liked both films, and saw each one three times in the theater, but I liked Spider-Man more in terms of story and acting.
    However, I find it kind of saddening that AOTC, being a better film than TPM, will not be remembered as such but rather the only SW film not be #1 of the year. What are your thoughts on this?

P.S. Do not say it will catch up, it won't. There is NO WAY to make an additional $100 million in such a short time.

2. Darth_OlsenTwins

Darth_OlsenTwins Jedi Master star 5

May 18, 2002
    SM was a good film. So was AOTC. It doesn't really matter to me that SM beat AOTC, or that AOTC will be the only non-#1 SW film of its year. But I don't really care. I got a summer full of good movies.

IMHO

3. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    Excellent observation. You may have caught on to something big.

4. SLAVE2

SLAVE2 Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 6, 2000
    If ET or Raiders of the Lost Ark had been released in ROTJ's year, I doubt it would have been #1, its all about timing.

And its not as if Spiderman is a nobody, he is one of the most well known and popular characters in the world, even before the movie.

5. SWfan2002

SWfan2002 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 28, 2002
    I'll let you know what I think after SM 5 opens...

6. Pooja

Pooja Jedi Knight star 6

May 25, 2002
    Spider-Man was a fun film, but all SW baised aside, I think Attack of the Clones was much better.

My girlfriends' dad is a Spider-Man freak. He has all the comics (well, the majority) and he even said he enjoyed Episode II more.

But yeah, Spider-Man was well made and deserved what it made.

(Episode II deserved more though)
    :)

7. Obi-Wan2001

Obi-Wan2001 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 6, 2001
    Yep, Spiderman did it. Which baffles me, and I'm a big Sam Raimi fan. But, because his name was attached, I expected better. Much better. I think AOTC is the better film.

8. XTRO

XTRO Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 9, 2002
    I love AOTC's and Spiderman. Personally, I'm happy for Sam Raimi. He deserves this success after making Evil Dead 2, one of the best movies ever made... IMO.

9. Vaderbait

Vaderbait Jedi Knight star 6

Sep 26, 2001
    Ah, another thread about AOTC's 300 mil. "failure"? Are we talking just US? Because worldwide Attack of the Clones wiped the floor with competition.

10. zeekveerko

zeekveerko Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 30, 2002
    when i walked out of spiderman the day of its release i said, "man, star wars has some stiff competition this year!" and boy was i right.
    i agree that sm was the better movie, and rapidly worked its way into my top-15 list of all-time fav movies. of course i'm partial because i've been a sm fan nearly as long as i've loved star wars.

"i'll tell you what i think when sm5 comes out"
    this is a very narrow point of view. i still think tim burton's Batman is a great movie, though i thought all of the sequels sucked (except for 2, which was mediocre)

11. Darth Blasphemous

Darth Blasphemous Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 21, 1999
    Vaderbait: I did not say AOTC was a $300 million failure. I only said that it didn't beat Spider-Man. SM has $400 million to its name, some films could gross half of that and be major hits.
    I just find it interesting how much the media stresses ticket sales over the actual film. In newsbites for the year in review of film AOTC will not be known for being better than TPM but for not being #1.

12. SWfan2002

Jan 28, 2002
    this is a very narrow point of view

I've never met you, and therefore i just don't care what you think about me or anyone else.

13. DarthNut

DarthNut Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 1, 1999
    Does it really matter?
    they were both good films, live with it.

DarthNut,
    the nuttiest guy around.

14. ami-padme

ami-padme Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 19, 1999
    AOTC beaten by Spider-Man this summer

"You catch on pretty quick!"

//waits for some other breaking news that apparently couldn't go in the box office thread

15. TheVioletBurns

TheVioletBurns Jedi Master star 4

May 27, 2002
    Could I care any less?

I still have never seen Spider-Man, so I can't comment, but boy.../smacks her head

This is a dead horse, please don't beat the poor thing even further.

16. AnakinSlave

AnakinSlave Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 16, 2002
    Agreed Violent. Somebody kill this thing, now!

17. Darth_Ignant

Darth_Ignant Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 24, 2001
    Damn, only 300 Million. That sucks [face_plain]

If the trend continues, we may only get one more Star Wars movie.

18. zeekveerko

Apr 30, 2002
    "I've never met you, and therefore i just don't care what you think about me or anyone else."

way to take things i've said out of context and recycle them back to me, swfan2002. reeeaaal creative.

19. Darth-dirth

Darth-dirth Jedi Youngling

Jul 7, 2002
    Spider man in my view was a wayyyy better film! But i've seen aotc twice and sm only once... sm was a great film . Aotc was to me and many of my friends an action movie.

20. DarthHomer

DarthHomer Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2000
    Spider-Man was a good film, but I had no urge to rewatch it. There just wasn't anything that remarkable about it. AOTC I've seen four times and counting.
    Also, AOTC is beating Spider-Man at the box office here in the U.K. So maybe it's just America that didn't appreciate the film? :)

21. Ociredor

Ociredor Jedi Youngling star 1

May 9, 2002
    IMHO, they were both good films in their own ways. However, the only reason I think that Spidey came out on top was for the simple reason it was released first. It's that simple.

22. SWfan2002

Jan 28, 2002
    I agree, if AOTC was released on the same day or before SM, then things would have been different IMHO. Oh well, woulda coulda shoulda... EP3 is our last hope now!

23. Frank_Palpatine

Frank_Palpatine TFN Video Encoder • JC Icon Artist star 4 VIP

Mar 29, 2002
    It's all so subjective really. One man may watch Spider-Man and see a guy on valium with a cracking pubescent voice in spandex fighting a villain straight out of a Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers episode with a dash of Dawson's Creek style romance thrown in as a bore, while another may think it's the greatest thing they've ever seen.

Personally, I don't see how a paint-by-numbers comic book movie can ever be considered better than AOTC. I chalk most of Spider-Man's success up to its brilliant marketing campaign (brainwashing). To each his own, I suppose.

btw, BO success hardly equals quality. Examples? ID4, How the Grinch Stole Christmas...

24. zeekveerko

Apr 30, 2002
    i saw spidey twice, and clones 4 times in the theater. i enjoyed them both, but i had more company for clones.
    yes, frank palpatine's right that numbers don't necessarily mean quality.
    i love chuck jones' grinch cartoon, hate ron howard's grinch movie.
    still, i don't think it was brainwashing that led people into the theater to see spider man. it was the sheer and simple fact that this character has been around since 1962, and many people over the last 4 decades have enjoyed the stories about him, especially the originals. he is arguably the best marvel character created - the only argument comes from wolverine's introduction a bit later on.

25. sr_spielbergo

sr_spielbergo Jedi Youngling

Jun 22, 2002
    They were not both good films. Tobey Macguire was bland as bland gets.

Dunst and Dafoe were pretty good.

But Ewan MacGregor, Christopher Lee, Frank Oz, Sam Jackson, Ian McDiarmid, and in my thoughts Hayden Christiansen's performances made AOTC a far, far superior film.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.