AOTC beaten by Spider-Man this summer

Discussion in 'Attack of the Clones' started by Darth Blasphemous, Jul 10, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kith Aris Jedi Knight

star 1
    The Force was with Spiderman.

THe main reason, in my opinion, is that alot of people had a view of the SW universe and were looking forward to the release of Episode 1. Alot of people who had grown up watching the classic trilogy.

THose people really were let down by Episode 1.

By contrast, when SpiderMan came out, again you have people who probably read the comics in their youths, and wondered if the movie would match up to what they envisioned in their dreams.

ANd SPiderMan delivered everything that a SpiderMan fan probably would have wanted. As someone who read the comic feverishly in my youth, SPiderMan met all the expectations I had of it.

TO me, it was a clue, when prior to EPisode 2 release that George Lucas and MacCallum were already saying 'its not about the money-its not about the money'. To me, they already knew what kind of movie they made, and when they saw SpiderMan just take off the way they did, they knew they were not going to be able to match it with what they had made.
  2. jedi_master_sauron Jedi Master

star 1
    spiderman was just an all around better movie. it had a great and believable script. although there have been other spiderman movies, tv show, cartoon, etc. there was nothing imediately proceeding it that was disapointing to its core fans. also becasue the script was so strong it could be enjoyed be people who going in knew next to nothing about the spiderman character.
  3. DarthHomer Force Ghost

star 5
    "spiderman was just an all around better movie."

Maybe in terms of acting and characterisation. But what about plot twists? Special effects? Action? Music?

I don't think so! :)
  4. TK_Four_Two_One Force Ghost

star 5
    gotta disagree about better acting! sorry! :) i thought Toby and Kirsten were poor- it was the action scenes that got me hooked. :)
  5. jedi_master_sauron Jedi Master

star 1
    oh don't get me wrong i enjoyed both and made sure that i went to see ATOC nore that spiderman.

i'll give it to you that the plot twist in ATOC were better. but i also thing that's partly because i know the spiderman story like the back of my hand. we know the outcome the skywalker saga will take but there is still lots of wiggle room left.

i also did not like the spiderman swinging though the city scenes, some of them were poorly done. but so was a lot of the anakin/dooku fight.

6. TK_Four_Two_One Force Ghost

star 5
    ya know something that bugged me about spidey (lol at my kerapy use of a pun!) was the fact that the spider runs away. what if it bit other people. i know in the comics the spider died. what happens to the spider in the film? :)
  7. jedi_master_sauron Jedi Master

star 1
    hey tk-4-2-1

i forgot about kristen dunst. actually the female leads from both movies are short on the acting skills.
  8. jedi_master_sauron Jedi Master

star 1
    tk,

when i went to see spidey my friend nudged me ans said the same thing. lol
  9. TK_Four_Two_One Force Ghost

star 5
    lol jedi_master_sauron, great minds think alike. i thought it might have been better if Peter Parker had stamped on the spider as if he was annoyed at being bitten. Just my personal thought. i would love to know where that dang cwaaazzzyy spider went!!! :)
  10. Ulaleros Jedi Knight

star 2
    "ANd SPiderMan delivered everything that a SpiderMan fan probably would have wanted. As someone who read the comic feverishly in my youth, SPiderMan met all the expectations I had of it. "

really? i was a collector of sm comics growing up...i have around a hundred (amazing spiderman #11 is my best one)...and i was terribly disappointed by the film. i could go through what all disappointed me, but i've done it several times before around here and i dont feel like doing it again. as far as script, and story development, and such...i almost prefer the old 70's spiderman live action movies with nicholas hammond. but, the acting is spiderman was far better than in aotc, even if its not oscar stuff. my god, i've seen aotc twice and hayden christiansen is SO bad...i barely mad it through the film the second time.

11. rsterling78 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    [image=http://www.yesterdayland.com/images/popopedia/shows/primetime/pt1174.jpg]
    "i almost prefer the old 70's spiderman live action movies with nicholas hammond."

For God sake, man!
  12. TK_Four_Two_One Force Ghost

star 5
    actually, i LOVED that series! :D
  13. -TheForce- Jedi Youngling

star 1
    [image=http://members.aol.com/dsilver230/pics/yodanim.gif]

[image=http://romier.home.mindspring.com/spidy.gif]
  14. TK_Four_Two_One Force Ghost

star 5
    lol i posted that a few posts back but no one took any notice! i think its mucho funny! spidey does the Jane Fonda Work Out! :p
  15. Verry Jedi Knight

star 3
    I don't think that you can really diss the marketing campaign for AotC.

Is it really Crappy? when it makes 88 million in it's first weekend. Everyone knew it was out, trust me, just didn't make as much money, plain and simple. I expect Ep 3 to make less again.

As far as the dvd goes? It'll be close, very close.

Theres some 40 million dvd players in America,
  16. Ulaleros Jedi Knight

star 2
    oh yeah, what did that one commercial mean when it said "an adventure you never expected"? we'd been expecting it for 3 years.
  17. kampilan Jedi Master

star 4
    As a comic book collector Spider-Man met all my expectations: "I forgot the part where that's my problem." was right on.
    The Bruce Lee Punch scene in the hallway was classic. Spidey's wisecracks and brush=ins with the NY cops will be future material. (Unlike in the Batman films where Gordon and Bats have great talks in the comics under the Bat Signal)The "smoov" talk with MJ at the hospital was way better than the AOTC fireplace scene. :p
    The Uncle Ben's grave scene at the end was more moving than the "truly, deeply" one. ;)
    Shmi's death was a tad better than the Uncle Ben Death scene: Peter cried first, then went to the dark side. Anakin immediately went Sith. Peter didn't kill the murderer, it was the Force that took care of that!
    The opening scene with Parker getting the cold shoulder on the bus was instant classic and will be remembered like Forrest Gump's school bus scene...
  18. TK_Four_Two_One Force Ghost

star 5
    can someone tell me what happened to the SPIDER? please! :)

if it escaped it could bite more people- Peter stamping on it would have been better and more realistic- maybe!
  19. kampilan Jedi Master

star 4
    Its EU , Ultimate timeline, Alternate Universe, etc stuff...
    What do YOU think happened? Will we see it again?
    Its not canon this, not gospel that...its not in the comics...its not in the film...blah blah blah

"I forget the part where that's my problem..."
  20. TK_Four_Two_One Force Ghost

star 5
    okay... deep breaths, kampilan! :)
  21. Kith Aris Jedi Knight

star 1
    If we want to condemn Hayden Christensen's acting abillities, he has a very good built in excuse.......

"It was the director".

As far as Spidey went, my aunt loved spiderman as a girl and she loved the movie, because to her, it delivered what she expected. When I compare that to my experience as a SW fanatic, and the letdown I got with Episode 1 and 2.......well, that tells the story right there.
  22. Imperial_Guard Jedi Master

star 4
    I don't think that you can really diss the marketing campaign for AOTC

Yes, you can. Whether you were a Spidey fan or an ignorant citizen who rarely ever goes to the movie theater, Spidey TV ads were all over the place leading up to the film and well after to remind you that Spidey is here.

AOTC TV ads were pretty scarce and AOTC also had an opportunity to capitalize on positive reviews as followup but I can't remember seeing such ads. I think that the TPM hype machine might have scared Lucasfilm into overcompensating and pulling back too much. Hopefully, they'll find a better compromise for Episode III.
  23. Bowen Force Ghost

star 4
    No offense, but this thread really shows the true percentage of actual Star Wars fans on TheForce.net. If you visit smaller forums, you won't find basically anyone who would be silly enough to claim that Spider-Man is a better movie than STAR WARS here, I mean come on, wtf? But on this forum, you get all these wannabe fans who are like, "OMGWTF, I'm such a big fan, I saw AOTC TWICE, wow, I'm a monster fan! I even waited an HOUR in line to see it!"

Ok kiddies, play time is over. If you don't understand AOTC well enough to realize its brilliance, please leave us real fans to the discussing and go read your comic books somewhere far, far away from the computer. :)

In all fairness, I thought Spider-Man was an awesome blockbuster. A really fun movie that most people can really enjoy... FOR WHAT IT IS! It's not an epic movie that includes political intrigue, betrayal, galactic warfare, a kick-ass ~875 year old Jedi Master, etc. Hehe, it's just a fun movie. There is nothing wrong with that. As fun movies go, Spider-Man is just about tops, but it IS still just a normal summer blockbuster. It's not a serious film. It's a comic book movie, I mean open your eyes!

I saw Spider-Man twice in theaters. I would have seen it yet another time, but for the fact that by that time AOTC opened and ever since I've just seen AOTC and every other movie one time (but I have nonetheless seen every film released this summer, spare Juwanna Mann and The Powerpuff Girls Movie, oh and Stuart Little 2, but I will get to that very soon).
  24. Dagobah_Dude Force Ghost

star 3
    Hayden Christensen acted circles around Tobey Maquire. Maquire had the same monotone voice for the whole film; his Peter Parker voice didn't change when he put the costume on, and that was one of the film's bigger mistakes.

Just watch Hayden's confession scene; that sequence alone kills any of the acting in SM.
  25. DarthHomer Force Ghost

star 5
    I wonder if they let the genetically-altered spider escape deliberatly in the film. Maybe that's how they bring Venom into the sequel?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.