main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

AOTC beaten by Spider-Man this summer

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by Darth Blasphemous, Jul 10, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TK_Four_Two_One

TK_Four_Two_One Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 17, 2002
    Your guess is as good as mine, DarthHomer! :)

2. kampilan

kampilan Jedi Padawan star 4

May 18, 2002
    Secret Wars won't be the source for Venom, that's for certain! And we can forget the symbiote being from outer space. The Venom symbiote will probably have to be another scientific experiment gone FUBAR and again the military is involved...
    I'd rather see Hobgoblin first.
    We might see the genetic spider again. Hopefuly before it breeds into Eight Legged Freaks...too late.

3. kampilan

kampilan Jedi Padawan star 4

May 18, 2002
    Bowen still thinks comic books are for "kiddies"?

FACT: Most of the writers for these "kiddie books" have stories, plots, twists, tragedy, drama and intrigue far more than "you can possibly imagine". BUT, these "kiddie" books are a good read just like SW is a good "comic book" itself.
    If some people take SW seriously for its messages and values , these "kiddie books" have even more material...

I can draw better than Lucas can :D He needs to hire people to draw for him...

4. Logansmiddleclaw

Logansmiddleclaw Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 30, 2000
    "Hayden Christensen acted circles around Tobey Maquire. Maquire had the same monotone voice for the whole film; his Peter Parker voice didn't change when he put the costume on, and that was one of the film's bigger mistakes.

Just watch Hayden's confession scene; that sequence alone kills any of the acting in SM. "

Unfortunately Hayden made me cringe with just about every scene he had with Natalie. Tobey never never made me cringe at all. His line deliveries were never stilted & wooden like Hayden. Because of all this, I would have to disagree with you. Tobey was way better than Hayden.

Just my humble opinion of course.

5. TK_Four_Two_One

TK_Four_Two_One Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 17, 2002
    BAH!!!

"It is obvious this (opinion) will not be decided by our knowledge of (acting), but by our skills with a... TOMATO!"

FOOD FIGHT!!!

*chucks tomato at Logansmiddleclaw*

:D

6. Imperial_Guard

Imperial_Guard Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 13, 2002
    Bowen,

I find your ignorance disturbing. (Man, I've got to stop using SW quotes like that.)

Comics aren't just superheroes anymore. There's a lot of diverse material out there that isn't aimed at the "kiddies" at all. Even then, some superhero fare can tell more mature stories when they want to. Star Wars has a lot in common with the superhero genre anyway, so you're shooting yourself in the foot here.

BTW, I've enjoyed the prequels but I would never try and suggest that other people shouldn't be here because they have a different opinion. I think it makes these boards stronger and more interesting, IMO.

And now we should start setting minimum requirements about number of times that a SW film has been seen, length of time in line, amount of merchandise purchased, etc. to designate "true fans"? According to that logic, fans with the most money to spend and the most time to waste are the "best" fans. Pretty weak IMO.

EDIT: And how is AOTC not a fun blockbuster film? It just has a darker edge but it's not Silence of the Lambs.

7. Devilanse

Devilanse Jedi Knight star 5

May 11, 2002
    Bowen...that was a pretty stupid comment.

"Us real fans" you say? Were you ALIVE when the first SW movie came out? Hmm? Nope! I can say that I am a diehard for the SW franchise. I have all the action toys, lightsabers, books, whatever...Saw every movie on its initial release date..

SPIDER-MAN WAS BETTER THAN ATTACK OF THE CLONES!!!!!

There...I, one of the many "true" Star Wars fans said it!

Does it mean that it was better than 'Clones for everyone? NO.

For me....IT WAS! I have been reading Spidey for longer than I have been watching Star Wars.

THAT is the main reason it did better at the box office.

Spidey-1960's
    Star Wars-1977

Theres about a 17 year head start that Spidey has.

Star Wars- 5 movies, action toys, a christmas special, books, cereal..etc

Spidey- 1 movie, thousands of comics, countless cartoons, cereal, action toys, a tv show, countless cover band versions of his theme song, oh and hes only the most recognizable corporate trademark next to Mickey Mouse....

Spidey has more going for it than Star Wars...I bet if you asked Lucas, he'd say the same thing.

Why is there all this bellyaching about what movie made more money? I've never heard a more meaningless argument in my life. Why aren't you all griping about how the Burger King whopper sells more than the big mac?

8. Slave-2

Slave-2 Jedi Youngling star 2

May 30, 2002
    I think for me that AOTC and Spidey were as good as each other.

What spidey really had going for it was the characters though. George's characters, whist well written, were not a patch on Spideys characters. You were really taken on a journey when you sat down to watch Peter Parker's life changing transformation. I really cared for the characters and I felt that Spiderman didn't have to rely so much on the action sequences due to the strong narrative and characters. With all the good comic book films coming out that are putting character before action, I think that GL should take a leaf out of Sam Raini's, and others, book.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a die hard SW fan and I thought AOTC was great, Obi Wans character being a particular highlight.

But at the end of the day it's all Star Wars and I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. Imperial_Guard

Imperial_Guard Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 13, 2002
    The whopper outsells Big macs?! NOOOOOOOOOOO! :_|

BTW, I wasn't born in '77 either. I think I was lucky to catch ROTJ in theaters as a wee tyke but it's a little hazy. I'd have to say that I belong to the video generation. That doesn't mean it didn't imprint itself into my brain so that I'd play with the action figures I was fortunate to get until the paint wore off.
    Also, I've seen the SE in theaters, does that count? :D

EDIT: Actually, you'd have to be born a few years prior to '77 to actually appreciate it. :D

10. Devilanse

Devilanse Jedi Knight star 5

May 11, 2002
    Very good, Imperial Guard.

Its good to see that the art of humor is not gone forever.

And no...if you were not alive when the movies first came out, I'm not gonna say that you cannot be a "real fan" to paraphrase mr. Bowen. However...

If you were not alive when the films first came out, then you have no business judging whether someone else is a true fan of the films.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.