main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

AOTC beaten by Spider-Man this summer

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by Darth Blasphemous, Jul 10, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zeekveerko

zeekveerko Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 30, 2002
    bad fx can't ruin a good story.
    good fx can't save a bad story. (see jurassic park)

:eek:

*prepares for the onslaught of nimble fingers ranting angrily*

2. Dagobah_Dude

Dagobah_Dude Jedi Grand Master star 3

Nov 9, 2001
    I also want to say that I didn't find the action sequences in SM too entertaining.

SPIDERMAN was one of the few action/adventure films where I was more entertained by the characterizations than I was by the so called "big" sequences. They didn't have any spark for me, I'm afraid.

But in the film's defense, as an avid reader of the original comics, they also had such strong characters that the action got in the way from time to time. So the film was faithful to the comic book in this respect, as well.

But AOTC had the best, most jaw dropping action of any film I've ever seen. And the story was great too, so that one gets the edge for me.:)

3. Import_Jedi

Import_Jedi Force Ghost star 6

Aug 20, 2001
    OOOOOOOOO-AAAHHHHH!!! That's why I'm buying the Spidey DVD... so I can see my good pal Import in the film when I go frame by frame through that scene.

First of all, you don't know how I look (unless you click on my profile often :eek: )...

Second of all, we're on opposite ends of a phone line and I can still feel my arse being kissed. Cut that out! :mad:

:p

4. EMK

EMK Jedi Youngling star 1

May 18, 2002
    The fact that AOTC was beaten by SM shows the true "POWER" of advertising !

Does anyone know why Lucas decided not to put any effort in advertising/marketing AOTC?
    I saw more commercials for "Ya-ya sisters" than I saw for AOTC.. :eek: This is the first time, I've seen a major film come out with hardly any advertising/marketing

5. Logansmiddleclaw

Logansmiddleclaw Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 30, 2000
    "The fact that AOTC was beaten by SM shows the true "POWER" of advertising !"

Didn't it ever occur to you that maybe Spider-man was just a BETTER movie than AOTC??? Advertising has nothing to do with it. Everyone knew AOTC was out. Many like me waited one week for the crowds to die down to see it. I saw it once, didn't like and never returned. It's that simple. Many of my friends had the same view. They saw it once and never returned. On the other hand I saw Spider-man 3 times because I loved it. AOTC had its fair share of hype just like Spider-man. Spider-man made more simply because it was a better film.

6. Luke_Clone

Luke_Clone Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 15, 2002
    "Second of all, we're on opposite ends of a phone line and I can still feel my arse being kissed. Cut that out!"

Sure thing boss... ::looks at Import's profile pic:: Aren't you a little short for a stormtrooper? :p j/k

"Didn't it ever occur to you that maybe Spider-man was just a BETTER movie than AOTC???"

Perhaps the poster in question saw Spiderman and judged that it was not as good as AOTC? Thus, the poster in question, decided to try to explain it by suggesting that advertising had something to do with Spiderman's success. ::shrugs::

Unfortunately, I think this thread is degenerating into two things:

1) a potential "Versus" thread (big no no's those are)
    2) another reason for Import_Jedi to kick my arse

:D

7. professor_klump

professor_klump Jedi Youngling star 1

May 20, 2002
    We've had the denial thread, the anger thread, and now we've come to the acceptance thread.
    I'm no psychiatrist, but I think we're cured.

8. Darthkarma

Darthkarma Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 30, 2000

"I was cured all right"

Alex DeLarge's final dialogue
    from A CLOCKWORK ORANGE

[face_laugh]

9. Obi-Wan2001

Obi-Wan2001 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 6, 2001
    [face_laugh]! professor klump.

Yeah, if Spidey wasn't caught up in a legal battle in court for all those years, it could have come out summers ago. ;)

10. zeekveerko

zeekveerko Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 30, 2002
    OMG i haven't seen a clockwork orange in years.
    i enjoyed the final chapter in the book, in which alex is actually redeemed.

11. Vaderbait

Vaderbait Jedi Knight star 6

Sep 26, 2001
    1) Better have the name of this thread changed to Spidey vs. AOTC.

2) IMO, Spiderman was just a popcorn flick. Batman was just as good, if not better. I just got tired of all the cliches.

12. DarthBane93

DarthBane93 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 11, 1999
    AOTC is a better movie than Spiderman...but good for SM for doing so well! I liked it and it was the first of what will be many SM flicks. We'll see how they hold up.

13. kampilan

kampilan Jedi Padawan star 4

May 18, 2002
    Darth Vader: " You are beaten."

Did AOTC break any records? I thought it would beat Titanic?! At least AOTC's poster was better than Titanic...
    I was surprised by Spidey but enjoyed it more than AOTC. What it represented hit home to me personally.

Bonesaw: "You're going...no-where!!"

I'll say this again: "With great power comes great resposnibility." Anakin didn't understand WTF that meant and that's why he's going down the stairway...

14. dehrian

dehrian Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 18, 1999
    I thought Spidey was a wasted opportunity. You had the chance with this first Spidey film to show him struggling with his powers as he's fighting crime; what we got instead was a few minutes of him trying to control his web shooter. What they should have done was lose the montage of him fighting crime, have his big coming-out as Spidey be on the day of the festival when he fights the Goblin for the first time, and have him be uncomfortable and unfamiliar with his powers, so that, as his skills develop, so do his chances of defeating the Goblin. Second, don't show the Goblin so much, and certainly not in broad daylight like they did. Mask him in shadows for the beginning of the film, and use music to represent him. In the second half of the film, around the time of Spidey and the Goblin's rooftop rendezvous, show the Goblin up close for the first time.

I mean, the film is fine, but artistically they dropped the ball big time.

The best part of the film was the relationship between Parker and Mary Jane, not the action. The action was boring, tedious at times.

15. SWfan2002

SWfan2002 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 28, 2002
    Based on what the media says about SM, I wouldn't be surprised if it's up for "best picture" at the Academy Awards this year. IMHO, that would be a travesty, but not the Academy's first.

16. Darth_Poutine

Darth_Poutine Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 20, 2002
    How do any of you seriously think Spider-Man 5 will make $300M?

I rest my case.

17. SWfan2002

Jan 28, 2002
    I'll take that a step furthur:

How many of you think SM 5 will even be made?

18. DarthBone7686

DarthBone7686 Jedi Youngling

May 19, 2002
    Didn't it ever occur to you that maybe Spider-man was just a BETTER movie than AOTC??? Advertising has nothing to do with it. Everyone knew AOTC was out. Many like me waited one week for the crowds to die down to see it. I saw it once, didn't like and never returned. It's that simple. Many of my friends had the same view. They saw it once and never returned. On the other hand I saw Spider-man 3 times because I loved it. AOTC had its fair share of hype just like Spider-man. Spider-man made more simply because it was a better film.

Logansmiddleclaw, in saying that, I very much hope you realize other people did vise versa. I love AOTC so much as to see it at least 7 times thus far. Many of my friends have seen it multiple times, also. I saw SM once with my friends, and we all thought it was horrible. I was actually kinda excited for it. Not me nor any of my friends (save for one dellusional mind, and he has only seen it twice, maybe thrice) have seen that thing since. I know I don't intend to, either (especially if it means dropping $20 for the DVD). Actually, I thought even The Scorpian King was a hell of a lot more entertaining to SM! Frankly, box-office earnings give very little truth to the quality of a film. And quality and broad appeal do not always go hand-in-hand.

19. professor_klump

May 20, 2002
    I know we have to vent our anger towards Spiderman for beating the holy Star Wars, but saying The Scorpion King was better than Spidey is going way too far.

20. kampilan

kampilan Jedi Padawan star 4

May 18, 2002
    Maybe Spidey won't have the franchise power of SW or maybe it will but I don't think we'll see another Batman & Robin thing since Raimi and crew did their homework on that part. Seeing Spider-Man was like seeing ANH back in '77. I felt the power of the Rebel Blockade/Star Destroyer chase just as I felt the power of Maguire's Peter that first shot. Its like in Superman and young Clark was a waterboy for Smallville High's football team...
    The Spidey sequels might not have the same innocence but it'll be exciting to see. I trust Avi Arad. Better than X-Men, which I only saw once but have the DVD. I saw Spider-Man 4 times and AOTC only twice. My relatives enjoyed Spidey like Forrest Gump but treated AOTC like a Disney movie. I so wanted AOTC to be kick-ass(which it is) but not like Spidey. SM's soundtrack rocks BTW but Across the Stars is still my fave score so far...

21. Darth Envy

Darth Envy Jedi Youngling star 1

May 14, 2000

Ok, I was amazed at the incredible Box Office figures Spiderman was pumping in the US, so when it was released here, I went to see it, admittedly with expectations. I was disappointed.

I am asking from a purely curious and non-antagonistic point of view - what made it such a good movie? I saw the original Batman the other day and the excitement of watching it was just spine-tingling; I felt no such emotion watching Spiderman. If anything I felt sick for a number of reasons, including the forced love story and characterizations, the obsession with stereotype and the overblown and baseless feud between the superheroes, and especially at the flag waving towards the end; keeping in mind that I'm Australian and we're generally suspicious of such open displays of patriotism in any event - it worked for a chramingly stuck-in-time Superman, but felt a little forced and out of place for a modern Spiderman. Not to say that I didn't like any of it - I thought Parker's exploration of his emerging powers was fun, as was the first appearance of Spiderman in the wrestling match, but it pretty much stops there.

That's just how I felt, and I'd like to know (of course within the limits of this being an AOTC board, and the topic) what made it so great for all of you.

Box Office aside - because that is merely a function of advertising, less so of quality (compare Pearl Harbour with The Godfather) - what makes Spiderman so special that people would so clamour to see it? I really would like to know, because it has me baffled.

22. SWfan2002

Jan 28, 2002
    SM's success has baffled me too. I was a big SM comic book fan when I was younger, but the movie wasn't that good IMHO. I thought the first Batman movie was much better.

I think we'll see how well people really liked SM when the sequel opens in 2004.

23. DarthBone7686

May 19, 2002
    I have anger for SM, only because I feel it did not live up to what I had heard about it...save for that Kirsten Dunst was pretty hot. Am I venting a little? Yes...but, once again, I remind myself: film quality and earnings don't always go hand-in-hand.

Oh...I didn't think The Scorpian King was of higher quality...just more entertaining.

24. professor_klump

May 20, 2002
    Spiderman is suffering from the same problem as any SW movie and it's public expectation.
    How can any movie completely live up to the hype that has surrounded these two films?
    Nobody really expected The Scorpion King to be a great movie, so it's very easy to come away from that feeling satisfied.

25. DarthBone7686

May 19, 2002
    I didn't expect it to completely live up to its hype, but it didn't even come remotely close, in my opinion.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.