main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

AOTC beaten by Spider-Man this summer

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by Darth Blasphemous, Jul 10, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. topgoalscorer_no11

topgoalscorer_no11 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 23, 2001
    Knights of the Old Republic is definitely on the PC. Can't wait for Galaxies. How come there's no AOTC game like there was for TPM?

2. Darth_groucho

Darth_groucho Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 10, 2002
    Thought there was. Gameboy has one, so you'd expect Playstation 2 should or Gamecube.

3. Ulaleros

Ulaleros Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 25, 2001
    i really thought both of them were huge disappointments. some critic wrote that the best thing about spiderman was that it was not tongue in cheek....but that what it was the entire time! especially the end when the green goblin parodies all the plots of comic book villians by saying something about offering a "sadistic choice." i agree gg's his costume was horrible, and looked like something out or mighty morphin power rangers. and i dont think they gave any thought to how well sm's comic book cheesy wisecrack's would translate into spoken dialogue. in the comics you dont have the exigency of movement and action...i dont think they work when you're trying to create tension onscreen. but i digress...both of these movies, to me, were just standard summer blockbuster fare...low on quality, high on cheap thrills. in fact, i would rank them both one notch below usual blockbuster quality. its hard for me to judge which one was better, but i'd probably have to go with sm, just because the poor poor acting in aotc was so distracting.

4. Bresson

Bresson Jedi Youngling star 3

May 16, 2002
    At the Ranch, there's a house called the Main House where Lucas has his office upstairs. But people can walk into the main lobby and the library. The cool part is a display case in the hall that holds the original lightsabre with the rusted handle. It also has Indy's bullwhip and the original idol at the beginning of 'Raiders'. Being on the Ranch is a lot like revisiting your childhood...just watch out for the deers.

What was the topic again?

5. Darth_groucho

Jul 10, 2002
    That would ROCK seeing all that!!!
    Anyway, The Magic Of Myth will be in Sydney in September so I'm Looking Forward to seeing it.
    Anybody in the US seen it yet and could tell me what it's like.

6. GreenWrinklyYoda

GreenWrinklyYoda Jedi Master star 4

Jun 12, 2002
    I think AotC is better because you can rewatch over and over and find out new things. Maybe SM is like that too, but all the SW films have hidden secrets I have just begun to find out. Whenever I watch a SW movie, I like it even better than before. I can't say that about other movies.

7. Forceuser

Forceuser Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 10, 2002
    I know it's a joke. Maybe the international scene will deliver better news.

8. SWfan2002

SWfan2002 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 28, 2002
    Darth Groucho,

I saw the Magic of Myth exhibit when it was in Chicago. It was great. It's a very detailed and expansive exhibit, moreso than many permanent ones. Vader's costume was my favorite. Whatever you do, don't miss it!

9. Darth_groucho

Jul 10, 2002
    Thanks SWfan, I'm really looking forward to it. I'll probably go a couple of times and stay till they throw me out.
    :)

10. Darth_OlsenTwins

Darth_OlsenTwins Jedi Master star 5

May 18, 2002
    Groucho

Im sorry for being uppity with you earlier. I apologize.

Im really bored, anybody want to play a game?

11. Darth_groucho

Jul 10, 2002
    That's cool, D. Olsentwins, between you and me, I'd take TPM anyday over the Mona Lisa.

12. jedimaster chris

jedimaster chris Jedi Master star 2

Nov 1, 1999
    I love to see the type of movies that audiences can enjoy at any age. I am happy to see a successful franchise like Star Wars still pulling in big numbers 25 years later. I am always happy to see a movie like Spider-Man pulling in big bucks. I was happy to see LOTR become an international success. Heck, I am even happy to see MIB 2 make money.

To me, now working at a movie theater for 3 years, it seems like alot of people have forgotten how to enjoy a movie. Sure there are movies that are not good, heck, 3 out of 4 of the movies released evey week aren't that great. When I wait outside of a theater waiting to clean the auditorium, almost everyone walks out critiqueing(sp?) every point.

AOTC:
    "I am getting tired of seeing Star Wars."
    "That movie sucked."
    "Star Wars is so gay."(this one comes from people who have never seen Star Wars)
    Spider-Man:
    "That was so cheesy."
    "That was so stupid."
    "That was like, dumb."
    "Dude, it sucked. I give my thumbs down."
    Steven Spielberg:
    (My goodness, the man is a genious and knows alot more about filmmaking than all of us put together.)
    "Minority Report was boring."
    "That was SOOOO STUPID!!!"
    "Spielberg's movies always suck."
    MIB 2:
    "WOW! That was awful."
    "I could pull a better movie out of my (you know)."

I could go on and list every movie. I have heard a huge about for LOTR also. But by now everyone has already decided their come back about how all of these movies do suck. Look, you are allowed to like what you want, perhaps where I live is a bad example of this, these people who live in this county are idiots anyways, but I wish for once we could enjoy the magic the is movies. These people making these movies are professional Academy Award winners, I think they know what they are doing.

13. Count_Saruman_1138

Count_Saruman_1138 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 30, 2002
    I hear ya, Jedimaster Chris.

I also work at a movie theatre (1 year and 5 months, and still counting), and I hear a lot of stupid comments.

Take this one. When LOTR was out in January, same time as Ali, one customer came up to me to buy a ticket and said, "Isn't Lord of the Rings that movie about Ali?" Hoo Boy!

Anyways, I am glad that Sam Raimi (the director of Spider-Man) has such a huge hit under his belt. True, Spider-Man is not Raimi's best work (Evil Dead 1 and 2, Army of Darkness, A Simple Plan), he does deserve this huge hit. However, AOTC is waaaaaay better than Spider-Man.

14. sdj

sdj Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 3, 2002
    Evil Ash was the leader of the Orcs in LotR.

15. Count_Saruman_1138

Count_Saruman_1138 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 30, 2002
    Actually, sdj, that would make LOTR my favorite film of all time if Evil Ash was in it.

Hell, anything is my favorite, if Bruce Campbell is in it. :)

Memo to George Lucas: Bruce Campbell as a Jedi = Box Office Money

16. topgoalscorer_no11

topgoalscorer_no11 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 23, 2001
    I honestly believe that Sam Raimi, if taking a lie detector test, would be forced to admit that AOTC is much better than Spiderman. I honestly believe that.

17. Luke_Clone

Luke_Clone Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 15, 2002
    Bresson,

smuggle a camera in the next time you are over there. :)

18. jediboy627

jediboy627 Jedi Youngling

Jul 10, 2002
    I dont care if spider-man makes more money nerther does GL he said it himself. I think star wars is a beter movie than spider-man

19. Darth Blasphemous

Darth Blasphemous Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 21, 1999
    Good lord! I leave this thread with about 17 responses overnight and look what happens! Didn't know it was that big of an issue.

20. Green_Destiny_Sword

Green_Destiny_Sword Force Ghost star 5

Jun 20, 2001
    As a huge fan of both franchises since childhood, I can say I was dissapointed with both films. While it was great seeing Tobey Maguire hiding on his bedroom ceiling and sicvoering his newfound powers, overall the movie was just no very exciting. The effects were okay, but definitely got better as time went on. Green Goblin did look silly, but William Dafoe's acting was excellent! He proved that in a blockbuster, summer popcorn, fantasy film, there is still room for a fine acting performance. The story of Spider Man was brought to life by Sam Raimia, but I wish the storyline itself had more to it. It was a decent first job that read too much like a set-up for sequels. I could see myself using the same sorry excuse people used for TPM: "Relax, be patient! This was just the introduction. Wait until the next one and you will be blown away."

But I won't.

AOTC, as I have said many times, was also mediocre. The acting first off, was just not that good. I don't know why Natalie Portman sounds the way she does, but it's not working. The lines were horrendous at points, which is inexecusable for such an old, successful film saga. if you are going to make this movie a "love story", there have better be some good love dialogue. That should have been the strongest part of the film, but it turned out to be laughable. The plot had several gaping holes and still was not riveting or exciting as the OT storylines, the editing was questionable and to top it all off, the lightsaber duels were all 5 seconds long!

I still am a fan of both franchises and will see their respective sequels. SM was destined to crush AOTC at the box-office because it had the same benefits of TPM: A huge fan base, starving for a film, and having no idea as to how it would look on the big screen. That type of anticipation cannot be captured in a sequel. Most fans just wanted to see what a Spider Man film would look like.

One of my family's favorite childhood photos is of me in my Spider Man shirt (my favortie at that time) holding my favorite toy, a 14-inch storm trooper. Who would've guessed that so many years later I would still have a chance to watch new installments of these great characters in the theaters? I think it's a wonderful thing and I hope the movies can start meeting the level of quality that made me love the stories and their characters in the first place.

21. SHAD0W-JEDI

SHAD0W-JEDI Force Ghost star 4

May 20, 2002

One of the things I find at once amusing and disappointing is the way that fans of one thing... genre... character..."universe".. hobby..whatever... seem to feel almost obliged to rip fans of OTHER things..genres...characters..."universes"... hobbies...etc. Amusing, because if they would just step back, they would see that while their interests might be VERY divergent, they have a lot of very similar personality traits (real fans or hobbyists). Disappointed, because you would think that being fans, and recognizing the flak they take from certain sectors FOR their intense interest, they would be among the LAST to react unsympathetically to OTHER fans, even if they don't share that interest.

I liked Spider-Man AND AOTC. I don't see this as any kind of loyalty test - maybe I wasn't in the day the Oath of Allegiance was issued that says I can ONLY like a SW movie, a Spider-Man movie, etc, and not like BOTH. ;) I can understand someone liking one and not the other, just as I can (almost) understand some of my friends who are huge fans of science-fiction but simply don't like "fantasy". I guess I am more promiscuous - in this regard, anyway! *L* - as I tend to like "fantastic" fiction in general.

I do think that we are, perhaps, just a more cynical society . It is certainly considered more "cool" to carry off a "disaffected" air... to say "whatever", to criticize and act "above it all" - this in response to some of the excellent posts by movie theater employees mentioning the comments they hear quite regularly, running down just about ANY movie. Frankly, I think life is MUCH too short! I WANT to be entertained, to have fun, and I am not too proud to admit it! *S* I was happy with Spider-Man, I was happy with AOTC, and I thought it was GREAT to have TWO really entertaining, fanciful movies to view this summer. I would love it if REIGN OF FIRE turned out to be fun, and I am rooting for Harry Potter and The Two Towers to enliven the fall/winter.

This ISN'T a competition, even if the media wants to cover it as if it was. And I DO think that is part of "the problem". Even with six bazillion screens these days, a movie seems to either have to be a "blockbuster" or a "flop". Why? There is ENORMOUS middle ground! Far too many movies don't even last two weeks (in the theaters!) anymore! A pity....and I think this contributes to both the aforementioned cynicism AND the sense of competition between fans.

Ah well..just rambling a bit. Perhaps I will put on my Spider-Man T shirt and go catch AOTC for the umpteenth time... ;)

Shadow

22. Chiromike

Chiromike Jedi Youngling

May 22, 2002
    I saw both movies, liked both movies, but AOTC is my choice based mainly on the story. I mean, a nerd (Peter Parker) who gains superpowers through a freak accident, saves the city and gets the girl he has always liked isn't exactly original. (I know he didn't really get the girl, but she was his to be had.) AOTC was much more complex with the mystery, interwoven subplots and love story.

Let's tally the results, shall we:
    1. Story...AOTC
    2. Acting...Spider Man
    3. Character Development...AOTC (Hayden alone deserves this credit. Ewan McGregor is a great Obi-Wan Kenobi.) Toby McGuire did a great job, but Dafoe was too over the top, a common problem in comic book movies.
    4. Special Effects...AOTC, no contest.
    5. Costumes...AOTC. The Green Goblin looked horrible, simply horrible.

Spider Man has done well because it is a good movie. It has set records because it is a beloved character that has never been on the big screen until now. Star Wars was just here 3 years ago. My point is that the public was hungrier for Spider Man because they had never really seen him in action.

23. DarthHomer

DarthHomer Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2000
    "bad fx can't ruin a good story.
    good fx can't save a bad story. (see jurassic park)"

I agree with you in principle, Zeek. But special effects do make a difference. How many of us would still enjoy the Star Wars films if they were made on an Ed Wood budget? And Jurassic Park was one of the last great blockbusters. Most special effects adventure movies these days would be lucky to be compared to that film.

Like I said, I enjoyed Spider-Man, but I can't think of anything in it that would make me pay to see the film again (except maybe that scene with MJ in the rain ;) ) The story offered no surprises if you've read the comic, and the action and special effects were mediocre at best. AOTC has a great story and great visuals, so that's why I think it'll win the war, even though it lost this battle.

24. SWfan2002

SWfan2002 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 28, 2002
    AOTC has a great story and great visuals, so that's why I think it'll win the war, even though it lost this battle.

Good point. And remember, SW movies have a habit of doing well when they're rereleased. Other movies don't have that "habit". :)

25. sdj

sdj Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 3, 2002
    Yawn still boring.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.