main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

AOTC beaten by Spider-Man this summer

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by Darth Blasphemous, Jul 10, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The_Phantom_Menace

The_Phantom_Menace Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 11, 2002
    The boards have been so slow lately.
    I'm thinking of starting a flame War thread.
    I miss the old days of gusher/basher abuse.
    Anyone Interested?

2. sdj

sdj Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 3, 2002
    Well there are still those abusing but it's just so boring now.

3. The_Phantom_Menace

The_Phantom_Menace Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 11, 2002
    Yeah, your probably right.

4. JAMMINITUP

JAMMINITUP Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 4, 2002
    For Fox sake Spiderman DID NOT beat Attack of the Clones, Im in Australia and I dont give a rats arse what the US box office does, nor do most of you care about Australia. All we should care is the International BO, and secondarily, your own local BO.

5. kampilan

kampilan Jedi Padawan star 4

May 18, 2002
    John Romita Jr is a cool Spidey artist like his father before him.

6. kampilan

May 18, 2002
    I didnt hate AOTC I actually enjoyed it but it just wasnt better than Spidey. Spidey owned this summer. There will be many more summers for SW because Lucas is gonna make EPs 7,8, and 9 right? ;)

7. sdj

sdj Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 3, 2002
    Am I wrong to say that the US (where Spidey cashes in on the whole NY 9-11 brotherly love thing) is the only place where SM actually did better than Clones?

8. dehrian

dehrian Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 18, 1999
    Worldwide, SM is still $208 million ahead of AOTC. So it's not just the US.

9. Cosmo_Kramer

Cosmo_Kramer Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 6, 2002
    I do believe your right SDJ, Clones preformed better than Spiderman in most foriegn countries.

10. Durwood

Durwood Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 18, 2002
    It's hardly surprising that Spiderman beat Clones at the box office. There is a large segment of the movie going public who bases their viewing decisions on what reviewers say about the films, so given that these folks have no interest in any given franchise but just want to see a fun movie, which would they be most likely to choose based on critical reaction: Spiderman, the darling of the media, or Attack Of The Clones, the media's whipping boy?

There's not much of a mystery here, folks.

11. Import_Jedi

Import_Jedi Force Ghost star 6

Aug 20, 2001
    I went to the Sam Goody's store in the mall today...and all but 2 posters were sold out in the Spider-Man poster bin, whereas the AOTC poster bin near it was still full. That tells me something :(

12. sdj

sdj Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 3, 2002
    I do think that all of that 200 million was from the US though. I seem to remember it on Boxofficemojo being such. Could be wrong. I looked at that about a month ago.

13. dehrian

dehrian Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 18, 1999
    No. Spidey only has a little over $100 million on AOTC in the US. The other $100 million is from overseas.

14. kampilan

May 18, 2002
    Good one Import Jedi! I don't wanna bash AOTC but Spidey's gotta have some respect TOO! He's got about 10 years ahead of SW and Lucas is a comics fan himself, or at least he was...

15. sidious1

sidious1 Jedi Youngling star 6

Jun 5, 2002
    SM was cool as I am a MASSIVE fan of the comics BUT AOTC is the king!

16. Sometimey

Sometimey Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 1, 2002
    Everyone has had ample opportunity to get Star Wars posters what with there being 4 other movies.

17. Draculas_guest

Draculas_guest Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 15, 2001
    I have to say that I enjoyed Spiderman a lot more than AOTC. Didnt really expect that to happen since its only recently I've become interested in the webhead, but for me it just had the spark that AOTC lacked. Saw Minority report today too. Excellent film. Though my viewing experience was ruined by a bunch of young teenagers jabbering throughout the film at the back of the cinema. (sigh)

Funny thing I noticed on this thread is how AOTC's performance at the box office is no longer an issue. Before, there were threads detailing every buck AOTC made with fans plotting its victory, and now its suddenly "Oh its not important how much money a film makes"

While AOTC is a Star Wars film, I think it pales compared to Spiderman and Minority Report. Spiderman and Minority Report were much harder and darker films with the schizophrenic Green Goblin/Norman Osborn character and the pre-cog phsychics used to predict future crimes. For me, AOTC went into self parody with Yoda in a somersaulting lightsaber scene.

18. Padme Bra

Padme Bra Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 2, 1999
    Man, I don't see how anyone could think Spider-Man was a better film. Maybe I've just seen too many comic book movies that are exactly like it.

19. kampilan

May 18, 2002
    That's just it: there AREN'T many comic book films like it! Not like Superman, Batman, The Rocketeer, Road to Perdition, From Hell,Reign of Fire, Minority Report...depends on what you mean by comic book movie. Batman & Robin, Ninja Turtles,MIB are all "comic booky" but even The Matrix, The Mummy, hell even all the Star Wars and Indy movies were all comic book movies.
    The Spidey SFX weren't spectacular but the movie did its job story-wise that it did so good here in the US. Sure, it opened the Summer Movie Hype. But, it did well enough to go beyond it. The NY thing...let's see...Spidey ain't from Gotham or Metropolis 'cause I think he's from New York City?
    I've seen enough SW movies to say that they were all comic book movies. AOTC was good but not good enough worth waiting in line a year in advanced. BTW, I'm a 25+ standing SW fan so I know what I'm saying when I say AOTC was good but SM was better...

20. ShiloFett

ShiloFett Jedi Youngling

Jul 6, 2002
    I thought AOTC was a better film than SM. THe CGI Spidey was so fake looking. Most people that I know that have seen SM and not AOTC went because they have seen Star Wars films before and wanted to see something different. Most kids I am around liked both films, but prefer AOTC merchandise. So perhaps AOTC lost at the US boxoffice to SM, but who has sold more merchandise?? Is there a way to determine that?? It really doesn't matter to me who made more money, I am just tired of non-Star Wars people rubbing in our faces!!!! Everyone have a nice day and may the force be with you!

21. Padme Bra

Padme Bra Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 2, 1999
    It was just so by the numbers. The origin of the super hero, the montage of him fighting crime for the first time, the origin of the villain, they meet, the girl gets kidnapped, final showdown. Blah blah blah. You can't sum up AOTC in the same cliche'd manner.

22. Durwood

Durwood Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 18, 2002
    I agree that Spiderman was pretty par for the course for a film adaptation of a comic book. I enjoyed it, bu it was pretty much a "by the numbers" summer blockbuster.

At least Attack Of The Clones gave us something new.

23. Darth Blasphemous

Darth Blasphemous Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 21, 1999
    IMO, the better film won. I just wish AOTC will be remembered as superior to TPM and not the only SW film to not be #1 for the year of its release.

24. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    There are a few AOTC milestones:

1) the only Star Wars film not to be the #1 film in the year it was released.
    2) the only Star Wars film not to become an all-time top 5 hit in the year it was released.
    3) the least number of tickets ever sold for a Star Wars movie
    4) the least successful Star Wars movie, in real (adjusted) dollars.
    5) the least profitable Star Wars movie ever.

25. RamRed

RamRed Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2002
    I wish I could agree that SPIDERMAN was better than AOTC, but I can't. I liked SPIDERMAN, but it didn't really do anything for me.

Even my father, who is not a big fan of either movie, thought that AOTC was superior. But I guess it's a matter of preference. So, stating that one movie is better than the other is simply ridiculous. We're all making assumptions based on personal preferences - including movie critics.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.