main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

AOTC beaten by Spider-Man this summer

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by Darth Blasphemous, Jul 10, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. topgoalscorer_no11

topgoalscorer_no11 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 23, 2001
    I have a few milestones, too:

1) I don't care about Jabbadabbado's milestones.

2) er...

3) That's it.

2. MINI_YODA

MINI_YODA Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 25, 2002
    Just so people don't go expecting too much now. I don't think that EP3 will make a whole lot of money (and by this I mean over $400 million) either. And I think that EP3 wll be the BEST of all the SW. It will even be better than my favourite AOTC or ESB.

The reason is much the same as AOTC. They are both dark films and not really made for children. They are also not popcorn films like SM which in all honesty are very easy to see. Spielberg said it best when he said that AOTC was the most operatic. Which doesnt make it the easiest to watch but for myself at least it makes it far more satisfying.

BTW remember another film from a few years ago that was very popular. It had lots of action and cool special effects. It even set a number of BO records at the time. Well this movie is all but forgotten now. The movie of course is INDEPENDENCE DAY. It's fun but after awhile there's no reason to really watch the movie again. And in a few years SM will probably fall into that category.

One final comment. I wonder what a patriotic american popcorn movie like ID4 would do in todays environment.

3. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    Maybe "operatic" is not a bad word for AOTC.

An opera is generally a silly storyline told through inane dialogue, with great music and expensive production values, in which acting takes a back seat and is almost beside the point.

4. MINI_YODA

Apr 25, 2002
    nice bit of uncultured commetary there

5. Import_Jedi

Import_Jedi Force Ghost star 6

Aug 20, 2001
    I wonder what a patriotic american popcorn movie like ID4 would do in todays environment.

Um, in terms of the human race prevailing at the end? LOTS OF CASH!!!

In terms of ID4 carrying the 9/11-esque images of New Yorkers and Angelenos trying to run away from those rolling walls of flame? LOTS OF CONTROVERSY TOO!!! :eek:

BTW, look at my sig :D

6. denseyjedi

denseyjedi Jedi Padawan star 4

May 5, 2002
    I don't understand why both SW and SP fans are making such a big deal of AOTC been beaten by Spiderman. Because both films are extremely succesfull and both made boxoffice history. Spiderman broke a lot of records while AOTC grossed record numbers for a fifth film of a series in it's 25th year.

AOTC is like Michael Jordan and Spiderman like Allen Iverson. AOTC has a legendary past full of records and even when its becoming old and rusty, is capable of beating 99% of films out there. While Spiderman is a movie franchise in the making, having great success in its beggining ,but only time will tell if it will get to become a legendary series.

Just ask yourself....Who will win at 100%...Jordan (Star Wars) or Iverson (Spiderman)? The answer is simple.

ANH -$461m - Adjusted - $1,034m
    SM 1 - $401M - Adjusted - $401m

7. Import_Jedi

Aug 20, 2001
    AOTC is like Michael Jordan and Spiderman like Allen Iverson.

Iverson??? Why not Kobe?? :mad:

Eh whatever, I see your point

8. Qui Gon Binks

Qui Gon Binks Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 20, 1999
    Spider Man also made more than Lord of the Rings...guess we know what all this stupid box office proves, right?

9. Import_Jedi

Aug 20, 2001
    LOTR wasn't as good as SM (despite the Oscar nominations)? :p

10. Qui Gon Binks

Nov 20, 1999
    Then I guess I know where I can stick that opinion...

11. Import_Jedi

Aug 20, 2001
    Sorry, I don't swing that way :)

12. Qui Gon Binks

Nov 20, 1999
    What a shame. Now I'm hurt.

13. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    "nice bit of uncultured commentary there"

Not if you've seen as many operas as I have.

14. Import_Jedi

Aug 20, 2001
    Awww. Want some booze to heave your pain away? :)

15. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    With some operas, being liquored up definitely helps.

16. Import_Jedi

Aug 20, 2001
    I was talking to Qui Gon Binks...but you can have some as well, Jabba ;)

17. MINI_YODA

Apr 25, 2002
    just because you've seen many operas doesn't mean you understand what an opera is.

oh and I'm not sure that Iverson is a good comparison given current events :)

18. MINI_YODA

Apr 25, 2002
    maybe you should go see AOTC inebriated then. hmmmmmm now that would probably be an interesting experience :D

edit: maybe someone should start a AOTC drinking game :). Not that I or any of us sanction drinking during movie though ;)

19. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    Take a drink every time one of the characters uses this sentence structure:

I'm a ______, not a __________.

We're here to _________, not ___________.

Works for TPM as well. George Lucas's favorite sentence. You'll be drunk in no time.

20. MINI_YODA

Apr 25, 2002
    wouldn't you die of alcohol poisoning if you did that :D

21. Padme Bra

Padme Bra Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 2, 1999
    Seriously though, I'm not all big on movie rivalries but explain how Spider-Man was a better movie than AOTC. Did you know Everything was so predictaable in SpiderMan, even for me, who didn't know the story. The FX were cartoonish, there wasn't any original set or costume design. Well except for the Green Goblin, who was laughable. The love story in AOTC was complex and tragic. The one in Spiderman was simplicity straight out of Dawson's Creek. The action? Spiderman jumping around vs speeder chases, lightsaber duels, fighting with beasts and all out war. Comparing the villains? Please. I dunno. I guess didn't get it. I think there's always a bandwagon and this year it's SpiderMan.

22. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    I agree. Spider-Man underwhelmed me at every turn. I enjoyed it well enough, but I forgot it almost as soon as I saw it and have no interest in ever seeing it again.

23. DrEvazan

DrEvazan Jedi Youngling star 4

Jun 19, 2002
    IMO spider-man was a better movie because i found it more engaging, entertaining, better-paced, more interesting (especially parkers transformation) had a much more believable and realistic love story (even in an unrealistic scenario), an excellent pace, intelligently funny dialogue, and generally a much more clever film than AOTS. overall a more satisfying experience. i never found myself saying "well thats dumb" or "wow that was pretty lame" during spider-man.

i am a two decade fan of both star wars and spider-man... i knew everything that was going to happen in spider-man and AOTC, but spider-man made a familiar story interesting with good writing and great direction, while AOTC did not.
    IMO

EDIT: i dont equate box office success with quality.

24. MadMardigan

MadMardigan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2001
    AOTC is like Michael Jordan and Spiderman like Allen Iverson.

Spiderman barges into his cousin's house with a gun and pistol-whips his wife???

25. Darth_Zoo

Darth_Zoo Jedi Master star 4

Jul 15, 2002
    Hahaha,

Spiderman was an enjoyable movie. It had style, and just the feel of a 21st century blockbuster.

But AOTC was far more entertaining and beats out SM in quality.

SM was a bit too cliche, there were holes that no one seemed to care about, and too many missed scenes that could of been great (GG final scene, robber scene, etc). But the nail in the coffin had to be the gimmicky "New York 4 eva" stoning... *sigh* I didn't know what to think after that.

All in all, AOTC was the film of the summer, but SM is still a top-notch comic book adaptation.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.