main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

AOTC beaten by Spider-Man this summer

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by Darth Blasphemous, Jul 10, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. topgoalscorer_no11

topgoalscorer_no11 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 23, 2001
    Spiderman, or 'Spider-man' to use its proper name, was a pretty good film but I think it lacked AOTC's epic, dare I say 'operatic' grandeur.

In the end, when all's said and done, I think people will look at the PT and say that Ol' George did all right. Takes a real man to finance, write and direct his own films, 'specially when there's twenty years of expectation and a hostile media to contend with.

Yep.

Ol' George did alright.

2. DrEvazan

DrEvazan Jedi Youngling star 4

Jun 19, 2002
    "Spiderman, or 'Spider-man' to use its proper name, was a pretty good film but I think it lacked AOTC's epic, dare I say 'operatic' grandeur."

do you really think spider-man was going for "epic" or "operatic"?

i think it succeeded in what it set out to be: a clever, entertaining, taut adaptation of a comic book.

3. Padme Bra

Padme Bra Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 2, 1999
    Well, a lot of that I can chalk up to opinion but not the realism of the love story. In SpiderMAN the hot gitl falls for the geeky dork, even choosing him over his SpiderMan persona. In AOTC the hot girl falls for the dangerous, psychotic bad boy. Realism? Advantage, AOTC.

4. topgoalscorer_no11

Jul 23, 2001
    I agree, good Doctor.

I was merely indicating that I personally prefer 'epic' and 'operatic' to 'clever' and taut'. At least when it comes to blockbusters. That's what I like about Star Wars. And I liked Spider-man. Just not as much.

5. Dagobah_Dude

Dagobah_Dude Jedi Grand Master star 3

Nov 9, 2001
    Webster's Dictionary definition of operatic:
    Main Entry: op·er·at·ic
    Pronunciation: "ä-p&-'ra-tik
    Function: adjective
    Date: 1749
    grand, dramatic, or romantic in style or effect

Sounds like AOTC to me! :)

6. MexChewie

MexChewie Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 19, 2002
    I agree with PB here. Don't talk about realism in fantasy movies because you'll be blowing smoke. Spiderman did what it was supposed to do, which was present the origin story and how he was able to get a handle on his powers. Nothing spectacular about that, pretty ho-hum but it did it's job. The villian while played adequately was almost unintentionally comedic, with that PR type costume.
    I also judge it by audience reaction. I went opening night to SM and SW. At the end of SM, no reaction. At the end of AOTC, thunderous applause. Judge that however you wish, to me it says that in Phoenix at this particular location, one group liked AOTC better that SM. And so did I.

7. zeekveerko

zeekveerko Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 30, 2002
    i see a lot of people calling spidey cliche, even though the original comic book came up with some of those cliches. "with great power comes great responsibility" speaks to everyone.

i read a post that said spiderman was a bandwagon this year, which is completely false. i can't believe how many STAR WARS fans are judging spiderman so harshly.
    when i heard (2 years ago) that sam raimi had signed on to make spiderman i had mixed feelings - i was pissed because i had already thought of the idea (i also thought of an x-men movie before that came out, but that's another story) - i was glad that sam raimi was doing the movie, rather than some cheap hack or a director-for-hire. granted, the guy's a bit cheezy at times, but i'm still a fan of army of darkness, despite the fact that he hasn't gone back and digitally fixed the fx... :p

now, i impatiently await the movie adaptation of hitchhikers guide to the galaxy, and if irony runs a hilarious loop around these new star wars films, it will be released two weeks before episode 3, and then a bunch of pissed off star wars fans will be griping about how everyone jumped on the hitchhikers guide bandwagon - what do ya think?

8. Padme Bra

Padme Bra Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 2, 1999
    Heh. I'm a big fan of the Hitchhiker books but a movie adaptation isn't going to beat SW. Simply not enough audience for it. Anyway, there's so much internal dialogue and narration in those books I don't even see how they can film it.

9. topgoalscorer_no11

Jul 23, 2001
    They did a TV version and it was absolutely dire.

The original radio series is the best of Hitchhikers. Absolute genius.

Shame Douglas Adams died so young. He was still working on the film script when he had his heart attack.

10. TK_Four_Two_One

TK_Four_Two_One Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 17, 2002
    I liked Spiderman but i prefered AOTC more. But here is Spidey doing his Jane Fonda work out! :)

[image=http://viral.lycos.co.uk/attachments/710/image001.gif]

11. Brodie123

Brodie123 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 20, 2002
    I've seen AotC once and Spiderman once. I honestly enjoyed Spiderman a bit more, but AotC was pretty good too.

I actually thought that neither of them were great movies, to be honest.

12. Logansmiddleclaw

Logansmiddleclaw Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 30, 2000
    I'll take Spider-man over AOTC any day. Watching Hayden & Natalie is like watching two wooden robots falling in love.

13. TK_Four_Two_One

TK_Four_Two_One Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 17, 2002
    I actually thought Toby and Kirsten werent the best at acting in Spidey- their love scenes made the fireplace scene in AOTC look like a masterpiece! :)

14. OB3

OB3 Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 11, 2002
    Good news is that it´s at least very safe
    to say that TPM will never be beaten
    by Spider-Man at the box office and
    will therefore keep it´s number
    four spot in the all time
    highest grossing movies
    chart!

15. Qui Gon Binks

Qui Gon Binks Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 20, 1999
    A somewhat mediocre sequel beats the ultimate 21st century blockbuster...again I say, see where this gets you.

16. Charlie_Martel

Charlie_Martel Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 8, 2001
    Who the hell cares about box-office? I mean, look at the #1 movie worldwide. 1.8 billion: twice as much as the #2 movie. Did that make it a fantastic movie? I rest my case [face_plain]

17. kampilan

kampilan Jedi Padawan star 4

May 18, 2002
    AOTC was epic.

Spider-Man was classic.

EPIII may very well beat SM2 but I am just glad that I got to see a classic in May 2002. If EPIII is done right it too will be classic.

Padme in TPM: "They win this round."

18. BYOB_Kenobi

BYOB_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 7, 2000
    Spiderman was f'n awful!

19. kampilan

May 18, 2002
    Sieg Heil, yourself...

Spiderman was awful.

Spider-Man was classic.

20. DarthBane93

DarthBane93 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 11, 1999
    "their love scenes made the fireplace scene in AOTC look like a masterpiece!"

Now I know your lying! ;)

21. DarthBane93

DarthBane93 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 11, 1999
    Oh, and I like AOTC, but calling it an epic I dont agree with. Its far from it. But dont call me a Spidey fan...AOTC was better than SM.

22. dehrian

dehrian Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 18, 1999
    I agree with BYOB Kenobi. Spider-Man was awful. It had potential, but dropped the ball big time. It's certainly not classic, and never will be.

23. kampilan

May 18, 2002
    J.K. Simmons as J.Jonah Jameson was kickass!

CGI Yoda was the ultimate!

Tem Morrison's Jango was kickass!

Spider-Man is already a classic...

24. sdj

sdj Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 3, 2002
    Did you guys read the front page tfn news article about the huge ticket sales for AotC in Japan? Broke some records over there this weekend.

25. Darth_Xero

Darth_Xero Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 13, 2001
    This is a funny thread, I laugh at all you cocky Star Wars fans. :p First and foremost, I'm a huge Star Wars fan myself and to me nothing is more superior than it. That being said I too was expecting AotC to beat Spidey but I also didn't underestimate it like most of you did. Most of you dismissed Spider-man as another mediocre summer film, boy were you wrong. As for me I thought Spidey was going to be a good opponent but that SW would beat it by 100-150 mil. Who would have thought it was going to be the other way around? Like I said a thousand times before don't underestimate the power of Spider-man and comic book movies! LOL!

Now that Spider-man has won the box-office race, does it matter to me? NO! I actually enjoyed AotC way more than Spider-man. I liked it so much I rate it as "the" best in the whole SW saga thus far, it overwhelmed me! As far as Spider-man goes I too enjoyed it quite a bit and rank it up there with X-men, Batman 1, and Superman 1 as far as comic book classics goes. It's that good. The thing with Spider-man isn't that it was better than AotC, and that's why it made all that money, it's because it hit a cord with the general public, and really special cord. After 9-11, many people were drawn to stories about heroes and, of course.., New York city. Spider-man had all the elements, in a time like this, to become a mega blockbuster. AotC, on the other hand, didn't perform quite as well because it had many things against it. Many people seemed to reject it because they were still bitter after the disappointment that was TPM. That and the fact that it was released in less theaters than Spider-man. And I'm not saying it was a failure, not by a long shot, it's just that Spiderman had cultural advantage this time.

Anyways I don't care, I'm still going to be a happy man come this November when both AtoC and Spider-man are released on DVD! WOO HOO!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.