AOTC beaten by Spider-Man this summer

Discussion in 'Attack of the Clones' started by Darth Blasphemous, Jul 10, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kampilan Jedi Master

star 4
    I already have BOTH on... ;)

Yeah! Can't wait to get BOTH on DVD!

LOTR...? well it is 100% waaay better than the foul Bakshi cartoon and is epic...
  2. -_-_-_-_-_- Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Spider-Man was a good film, however I believe it is only a trend. By the time the 3rd sequel rolls around, the truth shall set us all free, all good films have been ruined by sequels (Batman, Superman, Halloween) with the exception of Star Wars and Indiana Jones. The bottom line is that Spider-Man was so successful is because it was something "new" to the public, and eventually that "newness" will wear off, allowing a backlash to begin.
  3. dehrian Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Most of you dismissed Spider-man as another mediocre summer film, boy were you wrong.

Oh, thanks for clearing up my opinion for me.
  4. darth_pooh Jedi Master

star 4
    Spiderman Rocked ! I'm glad that the guy who made Evil Dead finally has a movie that made more money than Blucas !
  5. OB3 Jedi Knight

star 3
    Who cares about Spider-Man?!
    There are only two things
    to look forward to now:
    AOTC and TFOTR on DVD!
    I don´t really have
    to watch any other
    movie ever again
    when I have the
    two complete
    SW and TLOTR
    sagas!
  6. TK_Four_Two_One Force Ghost

star 5
    Now I know your lying! ;)

I dont lie- i tell it like it is!
  7. Qui Gon Binks Jedi Knight

star 1
    OB3:

Nothing can touch that my friend.
  8. sdj Jedi Master

star 4
    Wouldn't it be a wonderful world if all these Spidey enthusiasts went to that board to talk about it. I'm willing to bet that more than 75% of them don't even visit a SM message board.
  9. Ulaleros Jedi Knight

star 2
    "It was just so by the numbers. The origin of the super hero, the montage of him fighting crime for the first time, the origin of the villain, they meet, the girl gets kidnapped, final showdown. Blah blah blah. You can't sum up AOTC in the same cliche'd manner."

exactly. on the unbreakable dvd, m. night shyamalan talke about the standard 3 act superhero story. 1)superhero discovers his powers 2)superhero fights small time crooks 3)superhero fights the main villain. there was nothing original about it. i grew up with spider man, i have somewhere around 100 sm comic books and i was sorely disappointed with the movie. the green goblin costume was terrible. it was constantly tongue-in-cheek. i really have no idea why it got so many good reviews. still though, i have to give sm the edge over aotc. the acting and dialogue just have me constantly cringing during aotc.

a lot of people are already making assumptions about how good ep. 3 is gonna be. that its gonna be the best of the series and such. what is the rationale for this? nobody's seen one frame of it yet. all you know about it is the basic premise, and that lucas says it is gonna be dark. we still have to contend with his crappy directing, and the terrible dialogue, and probably another round of shoddy acting. are you just assuming that since it is a powerful premise, the movie will be great?
  10. Darth_Xero Jedi Master

star 1
    sdj: "Wouldn't it be a wonderful world if all these Spidey enthusiasts went to that board to talk about it. I'm willing to bet that more than 75% of them don't even visit a SM message board."

I'm a Spider-man enthusias and a SW one, what's wrong with that!? You "exclusive SW fans must learn to love other things other than it or your going to be very bitter when a film comes along and beats your box-office. Stop being so damn bitter. :D
  11. sdj Jedi Master

star 4
    I would just love to talk about something other than about how people like you were disappointed. Sometimes I feel like I'm a shrink trying to help you cope.
  12. Dark_Sith80 Jedi Padawan

i personally think AOTC is way better but SM was good i dont think that should of happened.....
  13. Darth_Chewie Jedi Padawan

apparently you were wrong...
  14. LUH-3417 Force Ghost

star 4
    is there really going to be 3 spider man movies?

i liked it, but by the third one, i don't think it will be as hot.
  15. Only_2 Jedi Youngling

star 3
    I liked both for different reasons. Is that allowed?
  16. SHAD0W-JEDI Force Ghost

star 3

I've never been one to buy into the very common mindset that to be a fan of one thing, it is necessary to dislike something else, or to sneer at something else, or to feel that what I like is in competition with something else. I don't think any fan of SW has to pass a "loyalty test" - a fan who likes AOTC but dislikes Spider-Man is not a "better" or "more true" fan of Star Wars; nor is someone who likes both a lesser fan!

The funny thing is, hardcore fans of anything... Star Wars, Civil War history, comic books, you name it ... actually share many more traits than they would probably care to admit. ;) The "passionate" mindset is common in all of them, even if the OBJECT of their passion is very different...at least as I see it!

When the first SW came out and was a huge hit, I loved it, not JUST because I loved the movie (which I did!) but because I was hopeful that its success would mean that Hollywood might green-light a number of other sci-fi/fantasy projects, and give them decent budgets. I think you can make a case that this DID happen (and as a result, we all got to see some good movies, and some very bad ones, we might not have otherwise!), and that was a good thing for both SW fans and fans of sci-fi/fantasy in general.

I readily admit... the media LOVES to foster the "horse race" mentality, the notion that these movies compete. We don't have to by into it. As far as I am concerned, I loved Spider-Man, I loved AOTC, and I am hoping that both the upcoming Harry Potter movie AND the TWO TOWERS LOTR follow-on are GREAT. I hope the upcoming HULK movie is fantastic. Frankly, I am a selfish glutton when it comes to entertainment - I love sci-fi and fantasy, and I wish we got three...four...TEN well-done genre movies every year (yeah, right! ;) )...

All I am trying to say is, if you liked Spidey, or hated it, fine. It has nothing to do with your being an "authentic" AOTC/SW fan or not. Don't buy into that superficial nonsense. We SW fans DO have lives, we are a LOT more well-rounded than the well-media-nourished stereotype would allow. Sit back and enjoy - or criticize! - to your heart's content! *S*

Shadow
  17. Ekenobi Jedi Master

star 4
    Who really cares who beat who?
  18. MadMardigan Force Ghost

star 4

Studio executives at both Lucasfilm and Sony for one.
  19. Import_Jedi Chosen One

star 6

And elitist fans who want to feel good about liking the more popular movie between the two :)
  20. zeekveerko Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    ""It was just so by the numbers. The origin of the super hero, the montage of him fighting crime for the first time, the origin of
    the villain, they meet, the girl gets kidnapped, final showdown. Blah blah blah. You can't sum up AOTC in the same cliche'd
    manner."

exactly. on the unbreakable dvd, m. night shyamalan talke about the standard 3 act superhero story."

unbreakable was one of the worst movies i've ever seen, imo. that director has failed to impress me in both of his movies, and i doubt the new one will be even as good as the preview suggests.

as far as sequels not living up, well... the only time sequels don't meet or exceed their predecessors is when the original director completely drops the project - superman2, highlander2, etc.
    however, when the same director expands on thier own project, it either progresses or equals the first - back to the future, star wars (didn't direct), evil dead.

what i'm saying is this: if sam raimi continues to direct spider-man i believe the two sequels will be just as good or better than the first, as evidenced by his progression as a director over the span of the evil dead series and beyond.
  21. RogueTrader Jedi Master

star 4
    I'm one of the largest SW gushers out there. I watched Spiderman. I enjoyed it.

I don't care how it did financially. But to put things in perspective, let's compare it to Star Wars' first outing, ANH.

Mark my words, the sequels won't do as well financially than this first one. If the 5th Spiderman makes as much as AOTC, I'll be impressed. That is, if it has enough steam to even get to a 5th movie.

For the fifth sequel of a movie series to do as well as AOTC has, it's quite amazing. No other series of films have done this.

But I'm glad Spiderman did this well since I found it quite enjoyable.
  22. Marsguo Jedi Knight

star 2
    Highlander 2 was directed by the same guy as the first one.
  23. obhavekenobi78 Force Ghost

star 5
    You can change the title of this thread in December to include Harry Potter and LOTR:TTT beating AOTC in the box office as well.

The real question is, do you want GL to make movies with the goal of making a ton of cash or do you want him to stay true to his story or vision of Star Wars?

BTW, GL believes that Episode III will make the least of all films due to it's darkened nature and focus on the four main characters (Obi-Wan, Anakin, Yoda, and Padme). I think that that focus is what we need to complete the saga, but will limit alot of the flash that kids and action junkies will want to see.

Does that make any sense?
  24. Ekenobi Jedi Master

star 4
    <i>Studio executives at both Lucasfilm and Sony for one.</i>

Well besides them. I know they care. This is turning out to be a good summer for movie goers. Plenty of stuff to see.
  25. MadMardigan Force Ghost

star 4
    Well besides them

I care.

All too easy. :D
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.