AOTC boring?

Discussion in 'Attack of the Clones' started by JediDugan, Jun 18, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TokyoXtreme Jedi Master

star 4
    I bet most people who find it boring (myself included) share the sentiment posted above. The only person I seemed to care about was Jango Fett, because Lucas actually showed me a bit about him and through character development, made me care about his story. He then became my hero of the movie when he waxed that hippie swordsman on the arena platform.

Jango, of course, would later die when Mace Windu decapitated him with a light saber. The movie goes on for some time more, but it doesn't really matter what happens next.
  2. Roger Goldleader Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    This isn't a flame, but:

"you can have a thousand [human beings] die but it really doesn't matter unless you have a reason to care for them. there was a big battle, sure, but the people that died were a bunch of [Afghans/Africans/Hindus/Christians/go ahead, pick a group] and a couple [leaders] that had no names or history"

Sounds like real life....
  3. PloKloon1138 Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Yes, AOTC was very boring. [face_plain]

I suggest you should all go watch the instant class, Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood.
  4. DarthDion Jedi Youngling

star 1
    i thought it was great if someone dose not like it cuz they have seen it like 500 times and it prob getting old to them !!!
  5. jedijake Jedi Youngling

Haha, Ya-Ya-makes me crack up!

Unfortunately, the general attention span of America has become so severely damaged that any sort of conversation that takes place with any depth is disregarded in movies. Trust me. I am a teacher and the second any discussion goes on in class, the kids begin to sigh. I'm hardly one who sits up and talks, but even in instructions on a lab, it happens. They are not out of control in my class-not by a long shot. It's just that any meaning to anything has been lost.

Back to the subject, AOTC was great. The "slower"parts were, IMO, very useful and well incorporated. The scenes between Anakin and Padme were not nearly as bad as critics claim. I place the critics in the same category as my 12- year old students-wanting all action but not caring about why it's there.

AOTC is my favorite over all as far as story because it brilliantly set up for the one which we desperately want to see-Episode III(which will brilliantly set us back for the OT). The slower parts were meaningful and essential so that we can understand the entire thing. Anakin, a generaly nice guy, was rather creapy to Padme who fell for him out of pity and sympathy. Anakin holds tons of anger and the only one who seems to show full support for him is Palpatine. Only someone so evil can take someone's weaknesses, fill them with ego, and turn them into their own power. That is what Palpatine is doing/will continue to do with Anakin.
  6. PloKloon1138 Jedi Padawan

star 4
    jedijake, you are my hero. 8-}
  7. Jedi Daniel Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Episode 2 is certainly not boring at all.
  8. endboss Jedi Youngling

star 3
    AOTC boring? No. AOTC big, dumb fun? Yes.

By 'boring' I'll bet they mean the movie feels like all action, no brain. The story doesn't have a lot of thought in it, which makes it hard to find the action exciting. No soul.

I'm referring to things like the Kamonians continuing to raise a massive army for a guy who they hadn't heard from for ten years. Questions like "Why didn't the Kamonians contact the Jedi Council in search of Sifo-Dyas after wondering what happened to him, which would've exposed the clone army to the Republic?" Things like the wise Yoda walking into an obvious trap by using an army that was obviously brought into existence by dark, shadowy forces, just to save a few of his Jedi pals. "Start a war now, ask questions later, I will." Things like Anakin managing to win the love of an intelligent woman like Padme by behaving like a creepy, murderous stalker.

The film felt as if Lucas put all his energy behind the action and eye candy without putting much thought into presenting a semi-intelligent story. 'Boring' isn't a good word for Clones. 'Shallow' works much better.
  9. Verdi Jedi Youngling

star 1
    I thought it was boring.
    "I am hearing this from people now "AOTC was a boring movie." Can anyone explain this to me? It has twice as much action than any Star Wars film before it."

Action doesn't make a movie interesting. The interst of action is predicated on the interest of characters and storyline, which in AOTC felt dryer than a funeral. Yes there was action, but with the ultimate stoicism of nearly every character and a storyline more obsessed with cramming every nuance of what Lucas wanted as opposed to telling a palitable and endearing story, the action falls flatter than the characters and story it's predicated on.
  10. Darth_Minge Jedi Youngling

For you to say that you found AOTC boring is to sell your soul to the devil [face_devil]

Nah, only kidding. Everyone has a right to an opinion, no matter how wrong it is ;)
  11. Verdi Jedi Youngling

star 1
    Minge, for one second step out of your status and role as a Star Wars fan and take an objective look at the film. Compare the quality of the acting and character development to any B film, like Kiss the Girls, Independence Day, Ocean's Eleven, hell, even any of the Rocky movies; take an objective look, outside of the box, and find for yourself the truth.

12. Andy_Wan_Kenobi Jedi Youngling

star 1
    No way is AOTC boring! It is a rollercoaster ride of a film and one of the most exciting films I have ever seen! It is the most exciting of all the Star Wars films! My only qualm with the film is that there wasn't a whole lot of character development! Then again it's pretty hard to develop characters in 2 and a half hours!

It is not boring though!
  13. Lurking_Around Jedi Knight

star 6
    I haven't seen "Spiderman" yet and I don't plan on it as it dosen't interest me at all. To me "Spiderman" looks like a boring movie

Really? You have not seen it and yet judgement is passed? See, this is one thing I don't get about SW fans. At least critics, bashers and their peers say AOTC is boring after watching it. They get some respect from me (even if I disagree with them) compared to someone who passed judgement on films without seeing them first (even if I agree with them).

Just MHO :D
  14. prof_frink Jedi Master

star 3
    but the people that died were a bunch of clones and a couple jedi that had no names or history

So following that logic, all the pilots that dies in ANH, All the rebels that died in the invasion of Hoth, and all the pilots that died in ROTJ death star run were nameless, and therefore, you didn't care for them, ergo, those are boring movies...

The lengths people go to sometimes to FIND an excuse NOT to like a movie is incredible...

I most certainly was on the edge of my seat for start to finish for AOTC, both times. However, I was with my brother in law on the weekend, and he said to me that AOTC was the most boring, stupidest movie he's ever seen.

So the bottom line is, opinions are like bellybuttons, everybody has one.
  15. Darth_Minge Jedi Youngling

"Minge, for one second step out of your status and role as a Star Wars fan and take an objective look at the film."

Ok, I concede that its not as good as TESB, but still brilliant none the less.

Sucks Hard cheese, doesn't it. I KNOW people that don't care for Star Wars that LOVED it.
  16. Andy_Wan_Kenobi Jedi Youngling

star 1
    As a Star Wars fan, I don't see why on earth other Star Wars fans are so against other films like LOTR and Spiderman? I am a major fan of SW and have been for years now but that doesn't mean I can't enjoy other films like Spidey and LOTR! I happen to think Spidey is a great film but is different to Star Wars so the 2 are incomparible!

I think there are alot of people on these boards who need to grow up and realise that Star Wars isn't in a war against other films!
  17. Lurking_Around Jedi Knight

star 6
    Totally agree with what Andy_Wan_Kenobi said.

:)
  18. EwanGuinness Jedi Youngling

I dunno how ANYONE could find AOTC boring, but I guess what gets one person excited, can put another to sleep... I can't figure it out though. Boring? Hardly.

Look people, I LOVE the OT as well as the PT, but the fact of the matter is people could lodge real complaints against some of the OT being boring at times too... Look at ANH, I love the movie, it'll always be my first love in the series, but let's face it, there are rather slow parts at times, especially on Tatooine before Luke discovers his Aunt and Uncle are killed....

19. darthabisbabis Jedi Youngling

the first time it isn't but by the third time you know whats going to happen and so you just want to wait till it comes out on DVD. Also it was not the most action packed star wars-ROTJ was with endor, the space battle and the lightsaber battle!
  20. Darth_Minge Jedi Youngling

I love other films. Spider-Man was brilliant. LOTR was brilliant. Minority Report is brilliant. These are all films that I love.

But yes, some Star Wars fans need the stick removed from their ass.
  21. Duckman Jedi Padawan

star 4
    There are no boring films, only boring people.
    AOTC was brilliant cuase every scene moved the plot forward. If this wasn't a Star Wars film, no one would call it boring. But because it is, people is out to get Lucas.
  22. FOX1973 Jedi Youngling

star 1
    Maybe the people who found AOTC boring are very young, or have the attention span of a goldfish? (Estimated to be, I believe, just under 2 minutes)

While the action sequences are obviously great, I find myself almost craving the 'slower' moments, the big dialogue pieces.
    I WANT to hear Palpatine go over politics in the senate, and see the way he subtly orchestrates the biggest doublecross against the Republic, because I know what happens 20 years down the line.
    I WANT to see Anakin and Padme fumble through their early courtship, see how their 'dangerous liaison' builds to what will obviously be a dark climax.

It's what the PT is all about.
    For me (and alot of people I know) it's these aspects that are of real interest, the nitty gritty. It's exciting to see how everything starts to kick off, even more so that it begins in so humble a fashion.

Uh, it's also called 'plot'. I know how much some of you hate that...
  23. DARKHELMET-DOTMATRIX Jedi Youngling

the people who say its boirng, arenet real star wars fans. take for example my friend, she hasnt seen the origianl tirology in its entiriryt, knwos nothing of the clone wars mentioned in anh, doenst know who the phantom mencae is. these people are not star wars fans, yet they express their opionions of the movie, and say it sucked or was boring. true in some scenes the dialogeu is cheesy, but come on here this is star wars not shakespeare. the first time i watched anh, i thought it was the most boring movie ever made, but then i watched again, and realized its not about dialogue, its about the story. lucas, can tell amazing stories. when pepople dont get something or dont know whats happening, they say its boring, not realizing their idiots. when mission impossible came out in 96 i thought it was brillinat movie, but most people didnt get the movie, and hence said it was boring. its easy to criticize, honestly ask yourself, could you have done better
    :confused:
  24. FOX1973 Jedi Youngling

star 1
    Oh, and you think SW fans are biased against Spider-Man?
    Check out spidermanhype.com
    They've turned hating SW into an artform.

(I loved Spider-Man, by the way)
  25. Texas_Jedi Jedi Youngling

star 3
    I didn't think AOTC was boring. I've seen it 14 times now and going again today.

The problem I've said all along with the PT is that George has too many alien characters that many people don't take serious. The Empire brought a human element to the OT. It was a personal good vs evil between mostly men machines and a handful of aliens and creatures. I don't mind Nute being an alien, but the banking clan, commerce guild, and Kaminoians should have all been humans. I think some people find blowing up droids and a bunch of aliens kind of boring.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.