main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

AOTC boring?

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by JediDugan, Jun 18, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darthsidious32

darthsidious32 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 26, 2000
    No, I didn't think AOTC was boring at all. In fact, for me it was anything but. People these days often need in your face stuff to thrill them(action, etc.). So for Star wars they want that throughout the whole movie. People just have no patience for good story telling sometimes. It sucks, doesn't it?

2. Import_Jedi

Import_Jedi Force Ghost star 6

Aug 20, 2001
    As a Star Wars fan, I don't see why on earth other Star Wars fans are so against other films like LOTR and Spiderman?

It might be because the media and select idiot people I know (I'm talking personally, not about any of you wonderful, kind-hearted people on this forum [face_plain] ) badmouth Star Wars for the sake of praising those other movies.

You have people bringing up Tobey "I have a tough-guy voice" Maguire and Kirsten "Look at my teeth!" Dunst when questioning the chemistry between Hayden and Natalie...and other people saying LOTR is what the Star Wars prequels should've been.

So blame it on the media and non-fans for getting some fans fed-up with those remarks and being resentful towards those films.

This all started with The Matrix by the way :)

3. Lurking_Around

Lurking_Around Jedi Knight star 6

May 26, 2002
    So blame it on the media and non-fans for getting some fans fed-up with those remarks have being resentful towards those films.

You know, rather than being resentful, we can show all those Spidey/LOTR fans that we're not worried about thier movies diminishing SW by saying, honestly, that we have no problems enjoying those films too, it's just that we enjoy SW as well. Much more productive, and we hold the higher ground. As it is, we're about as pathetic as those fans.

Just MHO on the issue :D

4. Import_Jedi

Aug 20, 2001
    As it is, we're about as pathetic as those fans.

Have you seen that Insult the Comic Dog skit on Conan O'Brien a while ago? Of course we are!!! :_|

Or at least those waiting in line at that theater in New York [face_plain]

5. DrEvazan

DrEvazan Jedi Youngling star 4

Jun 19, 2002
    I think Spielberg is saying it best.

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/story.hts/ae/movies/jump/1453545

some excerpts:

Spielberg considers CG "just another tool -- a means to an end. It shouldn't be an end itself.
    "Besides, it dulls the impact if every single scene has something so extraordinary you can't top yourself. We have to exact a whole new discipline -- to temper our enthusiasm and say how much is enough."

"My friend George Lucas is trying to get me to do Indy 4 digitally," he said of the adventure film, to be set in the 1950s to keep pace with Ford's age (almost 60).
    "But I don't want to shoot digitally. There's a mystery, a magic and a chemistry in film. Digital isn't chemistry. It's unfailing technology."

btw I have been a member here for years. I havent posted for a while and I had to set up a new account. So try not to bash me for having just signed up again.

I saw Star Wars a week before it opened in 1977, the same with ESB before it opened.

The only thing that AOTC and TPM did for me was let me appreciate ROTJ as a much better film than either one of them. That, and put me to sleep several times during my viewings.

No, It was not late at night, I saw both AOTC and TPM mid-day, mulitiple times. I wanted to give the films a chance, so I went and saw TPM 5 times and AOTC 3. They are both boring, uninspired, plodding CG experiments gone horribly wrong.

If you wish to debate my opinons, be my guest.

Calling me a basher or simply saying I'm wrong is not debate, it just shows your lack of ability to argue your point.

The OT has sadly become the Only Trilogy.

The PT is sorely lacking. And Lucas is making it up as he goes along, repeatedly painting himself into corners, contraditcting his previous films, and generally ruining a group effort (the OT) with his egotistical desire to rewrite history all on his own. With each new Star Wars film, Lucas goes further to prove he can't capture the magic he created with the help of the co-creators of the OT.

If you need me to go into what is wrong with the PT I will, but I think the reasonable minded people on this forum have seen all the valid criticism posted all over the board. Seems redundant.

All this talk about "real fans" is laughable. If you ask me, a "real fan" is one who is pissed off that GL is turning that which was the magic of Star Wars into dust and fading memories. Thank goodness people are making an effort to preserve the original films before he utterly destroys them too. How can any lover of Star Wars be content that GL is taking what made you fans in the first place, and changing it to his CG addled whims. "It's GL's baby, he can do what he wants with it" yes it is, and what he wants to do is throw the baby out with the bathwater.

I hope (although it seems all hope is lost) Episode III will find its footing.

Yes AOTC was boring, and that's not even the least of it's problems.

What a shame.

6. tiffer7497

tiffer7497 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 4, 2002
    I found there was about a 35 minute lag of action in the middle of the movie just like in Epiosode 1 and yes that part was boring. I know they had to establish the love story but still it was boring.

7. Lurking_Around

Lurking_Around Jedi Knight star 6

May 26, 2002
    The PT is sorely lacking. And Lucas is making it up as he goes along, repeatedly painting himself into corners, contraditcting his previous films, and generally ruining a group effort (the OT) with his egotistical desire to rewrite history all on his own. With each new Star Wars film, Lucas goes further to prove he can't capture the magic he created with the help of the co-creators of the OT.

I do agree with some things there. For me, my two fave SW have always been the ones that Lucas had to listen to other people's input the most: ESB and ROTJ.

I wouldn't call Star Wars dead as you seem to imply. I didn't enjoy TPM true, but AOTC for me was definitely an improvement.

Just MHO :D

8. Alec_Guinness

Alec_Guinness Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 16, 2002
    I can see how some people would say it is boring. It has barely 2 action scenes plus the ending.

9. Shelley

Shelley Jedi Youngling star 5

Sep 9, 2001
    "My friend George Lucas is trying to get me to do Indy 4 digitally," he said of the adventure film, to be set in the 1950s to keep pace with Ford's age (almost 60).
    "But I don't want to shoot digitally. There's a mystery, a magic and a chemistry in film. Digital isn't chemistry. It's unfailing technology."

I don't agree. I like how a digital print is excellent the first time and every time, and won't wear out with age the way celluloid does.

If you wish to debate my opinons, be my guest.

I'll offer my thoughts, even if it's just to say I don't agree with you.

The PT is sorely lacking. And Lucas is making it up as he goes along, repeatedly painting himself into corners,

When has he painted himself into a corner?

contraditcting his previous films,

Where has he contradicted his previous films?

and generally ruining a group effort (the OT) with his egotistical desire to rewrite history all on his own.

Where has he rewritten history, and what evidence do you have of his "egotistical desire"?

With each new Star Wars film, Lucas goes further to prove he can't capture the magic he created with the help of the co-creators of the OT.

Which co-creators are those?

If you need me to go into what is wrong with the PT I will, but I think the reasonable minded people on this forum have seen all the valid criticism posted all over the board. Seems redundant.

Yes, it does.

All this talk about "real fans" is laughable. If you ask me, a "real fan" is one who is pissed off that GL is turning that which was the magic of Star Wars into dust and fading memories.

How's he doing that?

If you ask me, a "real fan" doesn't hang around bitching and moaning about movies he hates, day in and day out.

Thank goodness people are making an effort to preserve the original films before he utterly destroys them too. How can any lover of Star Wars be content that GL is taking what made you fans in the first place, and changing it to his CG addled whims.

There are some changes to the SE that I don't like. Others I like or don't have a problem with.

I hope (although it seems all hope is lost) Episode III will find its footing.

You hope although it seems all hope is lost? Make up your mind. And I'd advise you skip Episode III, because I have little doubt you will hate it too. If you go in with as big a chip on your shoulder as you clearly have, I can guarantee you'll hate it.

Yes AOTC was boring, and that's not even the least of it's problems.

What a shame.

Thanks for your thoughts.

10. prof_frink

prof_frink Jedi Grand Master star 3

Feb 1, 1999
    So my complaint is illegitimate then? Maybe, maybe not, but you'll notice it's not littered with condescending platitudes about "nostalgia glasses".

I'm not being condescending, I'm being honest, people look back on the OT as iff it had so much more to offer than the current trilogy, but it doesn't - it's more of the same...

And also, your porkins argument is very weak - you completely failed to address the notion that I put forward about the Jedi being outnumbered and have no time for 'solemn looks' or 'weepy eyed' scenes...

However, if you actually paid attention to the movie, Obi-Wan does say to Dooku 'You'll pay for all the Jedi you've killed today'

But of course that doesn't count...

11. Ociredor

Ociredor Jedi Youngling star 1

May 9, 2002
    So now you can't be considered a true fan of Star Wars if you liked the prequels. Sheesh, and they say that the gushers are judgemental.

12. Qui Gon Binks

Qui Gon Binks Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 20, 1999
    Dr. Evazan:

Ask Spielberg about his squandered use of CGI to make a truly great movie in Jurassic Park and its paltry sequel, Lost World.

Lost World=Boring.

13. DrEvazan

DrEvazan Jedi Youngling star 4

Jun 19, 2002
    If I were Lucas, I'd make Episode III like this:

"Star Wars" logo appears on the screen.

"Episode III" appears on the screen.

George Lucas walks on.

George Lucas flips the bird at the audience.

George Lucas walks off.

He's already done that with TPM and AOTC... you need to add the part where he then lays down and goes to sleep while the film directs itself, or doesnt... he doesnt really seem to care.

as to lucas rewriting history there is a thread or two on the board already about all of his contradictions and inconsistencies. feel free to continue ignoring them.

With each new Star Wars film, Lucas goes further to prove he can't capture the magic he created with the help of the co-creators of the OT.

Which co-creators are those?

you're kidding right?

let's start with the WRITERS DIRECTORS AND PRODUCERS of those films OTHER THAN GL shall we?

14. endboss

endboss Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 30, 1998
    <<<So now you can't be considered a true fan of Star Wars if you liked the prequels.>>>

I don't know what all that nerdy 'true fan' stuff means. But I do know that if you think the PT has been as good or better than the OT, you never actually noticed or appreciated the quality in the OT, being that you're unable to see it's missing.

15. Qui Gon Binks

Qui Gon Binks Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 20, 1999
    Then you should enlighten the rest of us schmoes on what we were unable to see.

16. endboss

Sep 30, 1998
    That's been done to death here.

17. TheVioletBurns

TheVioletBurns Jedi Master star 4

May 27, 2002
    Also, Evazan, your friend Spielberg holds Attack of the Clones as his favorite Star Wars movie next to The Empire Strikes Back. Interesting, ay? CGI and all.

18. foxbatkllr

foxbatkllr Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 27, 2001
    That's been done to death here.

Classic cop-out.

19. jedi-jeff

jedi-jeff Jedi Grand Master star 3

Nov 2, 2000
    Mr Evazan: Do yourself a favor and skip Episode III. The probabilty that you will like Epispode III is zero.

One thing that is good about the SW films is that if you do not like the prequels, you can just ignore them and still enjoy the OT.

20. Shelley

Sep 9, 2001
    He's already done that with TPM and AOTC... you need to add the part where he then lays down and goes to sleep while the film directs itself, or doesnt... he doesnt really seem to care.

Oh please. The actors have spoken of interacting with him, of him giving them direction. Sometimes they didn't agree with it. Hayden Christensen didn't agree with Lucas's ideas for the confession scene in AOTC, spoke up, and he and Lucas compromised.

So the next time you decide to bash Lucas, use something that can't be easily disproved, OK?

as to lucas rewriting history there is a thread or two on the board already about all of his contradictions and inconsistencies. feel free to continue ignoring them.

I haven't ignored them, O Clairvoyant One, and I've seen that the inconsistencies are nothing of the kind.

let's start with the WRITERS

Lucas wrote the stories to all three. He wrote the screenplay to the first one.

DIRECTORS AND PRODUCERS of those films OTHER THAN GL shall we?

And I wouldn't call any of them "co-creators." I'd call them people that the creator brought on to assist in bringing his creation to the screen.

21. endboss

Sep 30, 1998
    Cop-out? Those who know me know I'm not exactly short on Prequel complaints. You don't want me to list them. And I don't want to either. Like always, I won't win you over, and neither will you. I've been here long enough to have learned that lesson.

22. TheVioletBurns

TheVioletBurns Jedi Master star 4

May 27, 2002
    That's true, jedi-jeff. I don't understand what reason there is to vehemently hate the prequels - if they're not for you...great! Ignore them. It can't tarnish YOUR vision of Star Wars, you've still got the originals...they're not going to get up and walk away. I sure feel sorry for you, though.

23. Shelley

Sep 9, 2001
    I don't know what all that nerdy 'true fan' stuff means. But I do know that if you think the PT has been as good or better than the OT, you never actually noticed or appreciated the quality in the OT,

You know that, huh? And how do you know that?

being that you're unable to see it's missing.

What's the PT missing?

24. foxbatkllr

foxbatkllr Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 27, 2001
    Cop-out? Those who know me know I'm not exactly short on Prequel complaints. You don't want me to list them. And I don't want to either. Like always, I won't win you over, and neither will you. I've been here long enough to have learned that lesson.

I don't expect you to list prequel complaints. I expect you to explain to me how the PT doesn't have the magic of the OT.

25. Import_Jedi

Aug 20, 2001
    What's the PT missing?

A cockpit's view of the jump to hyperspace, for starters :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.