main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

AOTC boring?

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by JediDugan, Jun 18, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lurking_Around

Lurking_Around Jedi Knight star 6

May 26, 2002
    A cockpit's view of the jump to hyperspace, for starters

[face_laugh] Yeah, the fanboy in me missed that!

2. Shelley

Shelley Jedi Youngling star 5

Sep 9, 2001
    Yeah, it's also missing Porkins, the bit player you truly care about. 8-}

3. jedi-jeff

jedi-jeff Jedi Grand Master star 3

Nov 2, 2000
    TheVioletBurns

This is why I have a hard time taking anything that trolls like Rupert_Pupkin and Dr. Evazan say very seriously.

If the prequels are so awful why are they bothering to talk about them on this forum. They can go to the OT forum and talk about those films.

4. foxbatkllr

foxbatkllr Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 27, 2001
    A cockpit's view of the jump to hyperspace, for starters

The OT's missing good lightsaber duels but that doesn't mean it's not good.

5. endboss

endboss Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 30, 1998
    <<<I don't expect you to list prequel complaints. I expect you to explain to me how the PT doesn't have the magic of the OT.>>>

Simple things. The story of the OT felt front and center. The story of the PT feels swallowed by the bells and whistles. I'd feel comfortable defending the OT against a snooty film snob as films that manage to overcome their many flashy effects. Not true of the PT. I'd feel comfortable defending the acting of the OT as charming, not 'bad'. Not true of the PT. I'd feel comfortable defending the OT as films that aren't primarily for children, despite its many costumed freaks and aliens. Not true of the PT.

Simple things that prequel lovers can't spot. To you, things are just fine in the PT and in sync with the quality of the OT. That's where the 'true fan' stuff comes from. Since you can't feel what's missing, you never respected the OT's quality in the first place. You're not a 'true fan' of it.

Hi, Shelley. I thought your DXJ handle only got a temp ban. Guess not.

6. Luke_Clone

Luke_Clone Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 15, 2002
    "A cockpit's view of the jump to hyperspace, for starters" LOL

Sheesh, I'm gone for a couple of hours, after have discussed this in a civil way with prof_fink and darth_smitius (sp?) and this thread goes to hell in a hand basket.

Why don't the bashers, if it's "been done to death," write up a list of grievances about the Prequels... sign it. Post it in a thread entitled "Why we don't like the New Star Wars movies" and be done with it? Do you really enjoy discussing something you dislike so much? If it's "been done to death" isn't once enough? :p

The amusing thing is, many of them think that the OT is better than the PT but they spend most of their time in the PT forums! :p :p :p :p :p I see more PT gushers in the OT forums than I see PT bashers in the OT forums!!!!! What does that tell you!

7. Dagobah_Dude

Dagobah_Dude Jedi Grand Master star 3

Nov 9, 2001
    "My friend George Lucas is trying to get me to do Indy 4 digitally," he said of the adventure film, to be set in the 1950s to keep pace with Ford's age (almost 60).
    "But I don't want to shoot digitally. There's a mystery, a magic and a chemistry in film. Digital isn't chemistry. It's unfailing technology."

I saw AOTC last weekend in digital, and it blew away film, IMHO. And I'm a guy who used to collect 16mm film prints because I preferred film to video. I still think film is great, but it wears out, gets sprocket damage, stress lines, etc. Digital cinema is in it's infancy, and it already looks amazing. In a few years no one will want to use film anymore.
    By the way, Spielberg also said that AOTC is the second best SW film next to ESB. So if everyone cares so much for his opinion on matters like digital filmmaking and CGI, they should also consider his opinion on AOTC as well.

8. foxbatkllr

Jul 27, 2001
    Simple things. The story of the OT felt front and center. The story of the PT feels swallowed by the bells and whistles. I'd feel comfortable defending the OT against a snooty film snob as films that manage to overcome their many flashy effects. Not true of the PT. I'd feel comfortable defending the acting of the OT as charming, not 'bad'. Not true of the PT. I'd feel comfortable defending the OT as films that aren't primarily for children, despite its many costumed freaks and aliens. Not true of the PT.

Simple things that prequel lovers can't spot. To you, things are just fine in the PT and in sync with the quality of the OT. That's where the 'true fan' stuff comes from. Since you can't feel what's missing, you never respected the OT's quality in the first place. You're not a 'true fan' of it.

I respectfully disagree. I grew up on the OT. Saw ROTJ in the theater. Worshipped the OT and still do. Disappointed by TPM though it was still enjoyable. Saw AOTC and fell in love with it and Star Wars all over again. AOTC makes me feel like a giddy little kid watching the OT all over again. Even better, there are things in AOTC that I can appreciate as an adult as well. I enjoy the OT, but my enjoyment of AOTC was two fold. I felt like a kid and enjoyed it like that and I also enjoyed it as an adult. AOTC is the most mature SW movie ever.

It's funny how you try to pass your opinion as fact. Saying something is "not true." These are movies and enjoyment is based on personal taste. If you can't get past the nostalgia of the OT that's fine with me but please, let someone who will enjoy Episode 3 take your seat in the theater.

9. endboss

Sep 30, 1998
    <<<The amusing thing is, many of them think that the OT is better than the PT but they spend most of their time in the PT forums! I see more PT gushers in the OT forums than I see PT bashers in the OT forums!>>>

Before today, the last time I stuck my head in here was about a month ago. You must really take prequel 'bashing' hard if one 'bash' from me a month comes across as "you're always in here bashing my fave movies!" Toughen up, son, and learn to take it without cryin', instead of responding to criticism by demanding that it go away so your prequel-loving orgy can go on uninterrupted.

10. jedi-jeff

jedi-jeff Jedi Grand Master star 3

Nov 2, 2000

I like the prequels, but I generally prefer the OT. Your post clearly implies a strong dislike of the prequels. Like I said earlier, you can just ignore the prequels and just watch the OT.

At least with all the fan hostility towards the prequels, they are not bashing ROTJ which is my second favorite SW film after ESB. I suspect that those "fans" that did not like ROTJ before the prequels came out are the same "fans" that do not like the prequels.

11. Shelley

Sep 9, 2001
    Hi, Shelley. I thought your DXJ handle only got a temp ban. Guess not.

My DXJ handle? What's that?

12. endboss

Sep 30, 1998
    FoxBat, I don't add 'IMHO' to every little thing I write. You should be smart enough to figure out on your own that what I offer here is my opinion, whether I point that out or not.

13. Dagobah_Dude

Dagobah_Dude Jedi Grand Master star 3

Nov 9, 2001
    I suspect that those "fans" that did not like ROTJ before the prequels came out are the same "fans" that do not like the prequels.
    That's pretty true; Mark Altman, the former editor of SCIENCE FICTION Magazine, despised ROTJ and was one of the biggest bashers of TPM. On the other hand, Chris Gore was a big basher of the SE's, TPM and has been one of the biggest GL critics in the last few years(he writes for FILMTHREAT). He absolutely adores AOTC and is gushing about SW all over again, so AOTC has bought back some of the disgruntled fans. I have no idea how Altman feels about AOTC though.

14. foxbatkllr

Jul 27, 2001
    Nice attempt to backtrack endboss, but I'm not falling for it. When you say stuff like this,

You're clearly trying to pass your opinion as fact. You're saying we're not a "true fan" of the OT and therefore we like anything GL puts out there. You're saying, the PT sucks, but we happen to like it because we're too stupid to pickup the "magic" of the OT.

15. Shelley

Sep 9, 2001
    Simple things that prequel lovers can't spot.

Ever thought that they aren't there to spot?

You're not a 'true fan' of it.

OK. Now why don't you and other exalted "true fans" get the hell out of the prequel forums and leave the prequels to us "non-true fans" who enjoy them instead of spreading your self-righteous hatred?

16. BIG_BEN

BIG_BEN Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 14, 2002
    AOTC might be called many things, some of which I might agree with, but boring is not one of them.

17. Shelley

Sep 9, 2001
    AOTC has bought back some of the disgruntled fans.

I despise Chris Gore, with his open promotion of the "TPM has racial stereotypes" nonsense (among other things). He can burn in Hades for all of me, no matter how much he claims that AOTC "restored his faith."

18. Luke_Clone

Luke_Clone Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 15, 2002
    "Before today, the last time I stuck my head in here was about a month ago. You must really take prequel 'bashing' hard if one 'bash' from me a month comes across as "you're always in here bashing my fave movies!" Toughen up, son, and learn to take it without cryin', instead of responding to criticism by demanding that it go away so your prequel-loving orgy can go on uninterrupted."

Sorry endboss, I quoted you but I wasn't refering to you and I apologize. I was simply refering to people who bash the prequels over and over again. I don't mind it if you say you have problems with it and that is that as you have indicated, I just have a problem with people who seem to dedicate their time to criticizing the PT over and over again when they could be discussing the films they love instead. It certainly would help the number of posts in the OT forum. :)

19. gwaernardel

gwaernardel Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    Wow this has turned into a basher/gusher thread rather quickly...
    grr...and I went to all the trouble of having it unlocked, too.
    My thoughts - If you are really violently opposed to the PT and the only reason is that it is not the OT, well then your opinion on this issue sort of goes without saying.
    Personally, I liked a lot of bits about AOTC and TPM. I just thought that parts of AOTC were shallow. (Thank you, endboss. This is a much better word to describe what I felt)
    And while this film does echo real life, in the fact that tons of nameless people die, I believe that if you want to make a film about it, you should show that these people really are people by providing them with some dialogue or backstory. I agree that even Porkins brought forth some emotional response in me. He had more lines than anyone who died. (besides Jango, Shmi, and Corde). And in the OT, it was sadder, in a way, to see members of the Rebel Alliance die against the Galactic Republic. You know a lot about the Rebels, and you know that there aren't that many. They're simple folks who hate the government. In AOTC, the Jedi fight, and die. And it's sad. But, (and I know I'm going to get flamed for this one) the Jedi are a lot less human characters to me. They can't love. They can't fear. They are on a pedestal above everyone else. You really don't know all that much about them.
    Also, another problem that I see is that it tries to tell a huge story in only 2 hours (or however long it was). In the OT we had the movies take place over a very small amount of time, the characters were all tightly knit, and you had more of a chance to get to know them.
    In AOTC, a lot of the characters have undergone major changes. Anakin switched actors, Padme went from a little girl in lots of makeup to a grownup woman. Obi-Wan became a master rather than an apprentice. Qui-Gon is dead. Darth Maul is dead. Shmi is going to die. You just haven't had a real chance to get to know these guys before they get sent into complicated storylines. There wasn't quite the same character development we've seen in the past.

Another thing..."the people who say its boirng, arenet real star wars fans"
    *sigh*

20. foxbatkllr

Jul 27, 2001
    petitiononline...what a waste of bandwidth.

21. endboss

Sep 30, 1998
    <<<Nice attempt to backtrack endboss, but I'm not falling for it. When you say stuff like this,>>>

I'll re-word it for you so even you can see that what I wrote falls in line with a post that's simply my opinion.

"Since you can't feel what's missing, you never respected the OT's quality in the first place, IN MY HUMBLE OPINION. You're not a 'true fan' of it, IN MY OH SO HUMBLE OPINION, THAT'S WHAT I FEEL IN MY HEAD."

<<<You're clearly trying to pass your opinion as fact. You're saying we're not a "true fan" of the OT and therefore we like anything GL puts out there. You're saying, the PT sucks, but we happen to like it because we're too stupid to pickup the "magic" of the OT.>>>

It's my opinion that those who lap up the prequels as high-quality pieces of entertainment are not unlike unintelligent WWF fans who are easily entertained. It's my opinion you have poor taste in films. In my humble opinion, that's what I've come to believe about your kind. I can't prove it in a court of law, but it's an opinion I've formed, still. Just as your opinion of me is that I have some sort of blind fondness for the OT because of nostalgia. That isn't true, by the way, since I didn't get into Star Wars until a few years ago at age 17. But you'll cling to it, I'm sure.

22. foxbatkllr

Jul 27, 2001
    Poor taste in films? Well I guess I better throw out my copies of Citizen Kane, On the Waterfront, African Queen, Casablanca, The Godfather, Apocalypse Now, Sunset Boulevard, High Noon, The Graduate, and Rear Window.

23. Sabreman

Sabreman Jedi Master star 2

Feb 11, 2001
    Yes, I think AOTC is rather boring in places.

I'd much rather watch TPM again than AOTC.

endboss: So you're saying that a "true" fan of the OT can't enjoy the PT too? Well, I grew up with the OT. I saw the original releases in the cinema. I really like the OT. I also really like TPM. What does that make me? Am I not a "true" Star Wars fan, then?

One more thing, endboss: How would you defend the scripts of the OT against critics? Don't forget that Harrison Ford himself told Lucas that ANH's script was ****.

24. SaberDuel

SaberDuel Jedi Youngling

Jun 3, 2002
    I, too, was bored when I went to see Attack of the Clones.

And then the "Like Mike" trailer ended.

25. Shelley

Sep 9, 2001
    One more thing, endboss: How would you defend the scripts of the OT against critics? Don't forget that Harrison Ford himself told Lucas that ANH's script was ****.

That's actually not what he said. That quote is often (mis)used to prove how bad Lucas's script for ANH is.

Like all the actors, Ford had a lot of trouble saying his lines--not because they were bad, but because they were hard to say. He once spent an entire day trying to get "It'll take a few moments to get the coordinates from the nava computer" right, then in frustration, he said, "You can type this ***t, George, but you can't say it." Ford cussed a lot, so I think he meant "***t" as kind of a substitute word for "stuff."

Another time he got so frustrated with the script that he said, "George, I'm going to tie you up and make you read your own dialogue!"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.