main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

AOTC boring?

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by JediDugan, Jun 18, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheVioletBurns

TheVioletBurns Jedi Master star 4

May 27, 2002
    This is insane. An opinion is an opinion. endboss can have his, you can have yours, I can have mine.

The point where it gets unnecessary is when people beat other people down for it. Those that love the prequels need to accept that some Star Wars fans hate the prequels, and those that hate the prequels need to accept that some Star Wars fans love them. It's as simple as that.

By the way, this forum is FAR from a 'prequel-loving orgy', it's the most cynical and destructive Star Wars forum on the JC towards the prequels, or on the 'Net, for that matter. I've said it before, but I wish people would discuss Star Wars here, not reason away why it was or wasn't a good film...if you hated it, go discuss something you'd enjoy discussing! The original trilogy! If you even remotely enjoy the prequels, though, by all means stay, and discuss them. What a novel concept! And no, topics like this aren't discussing AOTC. They're worrying over other people's opinions and trying to change people's point of view on the film, which isn't going to happen.

Sorry. TVB didn't used to get so tied in a knot. But really! This is a bit much.

2. Shelley

Shelley Jedi Youngling star 5

Sep 9, 2001
    *applause* for TVB.

3. prof_frink

prof_frink Jedi Grand Master star 3

Feb 1, 1999
    I've always tried to state in any of my posts that 'opinions are opinions' but where I jump in is when people use lame excuses for 'proof' that the prequels are no good..

eg. 'no porkins, so I can't feel sympathy for the characters'

When weird things like that are said, I will shoot them down... if, for example, you (anybody) think the acting sucks, how can I argue that - you either liked it or ya didn't...

But like I said, I will always stand up to weak arguments...

4. Anakin_Skywalker20

Anakin_Skywalker20 Jedi Master star 5

Nov 16, 2000
    lol. AOTC is not boring. Two Words: AOTC ROCKS!!! :D

5. JediHPDrummer

JediHPDrummer Jedi Grand Master star 3

Mar 23, 2002
    Hey hey guys, im going to post something i've posted before. But it fits in this category

HHey guys, i found a quote from some critic, i now critics are lame but what this guy said really really got me. And it's happened to me before. Here's the quote "Anyone can find flaws with a film. From "Gone With The Wind" to "Schindler?s List," if you enter the film with skepticism you can pick any narrative apart. In the case of "Episode II," it is Lucas? continued imagination that makes it all click"

I've done this before, my girlfriend rented a movie called bridget jones diary and i felt annoyed and i was being really skeptickal about the movie because i didnt really want to watch it. Then a month later, i watch it in my film class and with a different perspective. And i loved it! I gave it a chance, i didnt become all skeptical.

I think thats a big problem with star wars movie goers. They are so critical, its like havent you seen other movies. All my favorite movies such as Saving private ryan, braveheart, indiana jones and schindlers list have bad things in it. IT has problems too. Going to a movie is supposed to make you have a good entertaining time. And some people expect freakin Citizen Kane out of Star Wars. IT's stupid, i mean look at the OT. The acting isn't really different. And also its a tottaly different time. It's about rebels they have more charisma and more hate towards the empire.

The PT is a totally different time, some people dont understand that. The Jedi are supposed to be very religious , very serious in a way also. There dialogue is more sophisticted, what you want them to talk like han solo HAHA. Some smuggler, yeh han was a spotlight, but this is the PT! for the love of god, its more of a civilized time. People say things much more calmly, especially politicians. Have you ever met a politician. AOTC plot is so complex, and great. I want to see what star wars some fans will make. HAHA

AOTC does have problems but really any movie does, let me go back to the quote "Anyone can find flaws with a film. From "Gone With The Wind" to "Schindler?s List," if you enter the film with skepticism you can pick any narrative apart. In the case of "Episode II," it is Lucas? continued imagination that makes it all click"

is AOTC really that freaking bad as some people say. I mean really? Go have some fun!

6. Dagobah_Dude

Dagobah_Dude Jedi Grand Master star 3

Nov 9, 2001
    I despise Chris Gore, with his open promotion of the "TPM has racial stereotypes" nonsense (among other things).
    Well, I didn't know he said that(and by the way, I loved TPM so I'm not disgruntled!). But even if he did, then it's pretty effing amazing that the guy could actually like AOTC enough to stop all of his bashing. IMHO, of course. :)

7. Shelley

Shelley Jedi Youngling star 5

Sep 9, 2001
    Well, I didn't know he said that(and by the way, I loved TPM so I'm not disgruntled!). But even if he did, then it's pretty effing amazing that the guy could actually like AOTC enough to stop all of his bashing. IMHO, of course.

Yeah, it is, but it's not enough to make me like him. :)

8. Pooja

Pooja Jedi Knight star 6

May 25, 2002
    This thread is too jumpy for me at the moment so I'll wait until everyone cools down before I post any thoughts.
    :p

(yes, people, that's a SIGN)

9. JBFett

JBFett Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 15, 2002
    control control, you must all learn control.

10. Darth_SMITTIUS

Darth_SMITTIUS Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 16, 2002
    Anger, Pain, terrible pain I feel! Something terrible to this thread has happened!

11. foxbatkllr

foxbatkllr Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 27, 2001
    "I flamed them. I flamed them all. Not just the trolls, but the bashers and the PT haters! They're like animals and I flamed them like animals! I HATE THEM!!"

12. Christovsky

Christovsky Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 28, 2002
    AOTC BORING?!

Give me a break! I'll tell you why this movie is boring...and it DOES NOT have anything to do with the action -- it's because Lucas is a 'control freak' and a 'half-@$$ filmmaker.'

SAVING PRIVATE RYAN had all the action you could want, but why was that more accepted than AOTC...?

...oh, yeah, SPIELBERG DID IT! If AOTC had a decent story teller for its war scene [as well as the rest of the film], maybe more people would have liked it.

13. foxbatkllr

foxbatkllr Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 27, 2001
    Christovsky, you never would have liked AOTC even if it was just like Saving Private Ryan.

14. Christovsky

Christovsky Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 28, 2002
    Not true, not true...

I am responding to this FOXBAT guy...
    ...you gusher kids can say "You'll NEVER be satisfied" all you want, but if Lucas made a good flick, I would have liked it.

You slam me with B.S. comments when all I am trying to do is tell you gushers why us bashers hate the da-- cartoon...b/c without PROPER PRESENTATION, a movie will suck!

SAVING PRIVATE RYAN was cool, but I hated BLACK HAWK DOWN. Why? Not b/c I'll 'never be satisfied' with what I see. It's b/c SPR was a realistic [and original] movie. BHD was no good [in my opinion] b/c it seemed like "Gone in 60 Seconds" and "Pearl Harbor" combined.

Oh, and another thing...if AOTC is so good without me noticing...then why is every non-forum review I hear end with, "Not as good as the originals?"

15. Darth_SMITTIUS

Darth_SMITTIUS Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 16, 2002
    Piss, moan, and groan. All I ever hear...
    What is this, the Democratic National Convention? Come on people, any movie can be boring if you don't like the subject matter. I'm sure some people fell asleep during saving private ryan, we just don't know it because those people DON'T WASTE THEIR TIME ARGUING IN STUPID THREADS! AHH!!!

Remember: Argueing on the internet is like competing in the Special Olympics- even if you win, you're still retarded...

(Apologies to all my disabled peeps out there. SW bleeding hearts are the only real retards)

16. Alec_Guinness

Alec_Guinness Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 16, 2002
    "SW bleeding hearts are the only real retards"

Ok man you deserve to be kicked off these boards.

17. TheVioletBurns

TheVioletBurns Jedi Master star 4

May 27, 2002
    Oh, and another thing...if AOTC is so good without me noticing...then why is every non-forum review I hear end with, "Not as good as the originals?"

It's really a whole 'nuther topic, but the prequels are inherently never going to be like the originals - just look at the storyline and subject matter. People keep wanting 'original trilogy redeux', then get disappointed when they don't get it.

Let's face it, the original Star Wars movies are something that can only happen once. They can't be matched. But! Amazingly...they can be made even better! With the prequels. ;)

18. jedi-jeff

jedi-jeff Jedi Grand Master star 3

Nov 2, 2000
    SAVING PRIVATE RYAN was cool, but I hated BLACK HAWK DOWN. Why? Not b/c I'll 'never be satisfied' with what I see. It's b/c SPR was a realistic [and original] movie. BHD was no good [in my opinion] b/c it seemed like "Gone in 60 Seconds" and "Pearl Harbor" combined.

This is an SW site. No one cares what you think about these non SW films. Why do posters spend time talking about films other than SW on SW site.

19. Alec_Guinness

Alec_Guinness Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 16, 2002
    I know, why do these people do this!? I wish they would just stop!!!

20. That_Wascally_Droid

That_Wascally_Droid Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 29, 2001
    So far AotC:

Has terrible dialogue
    No story
    Too complicated of a story
    No character developement
    Unbelievable character developement
    Too much CGI
    Too much action
    No action
    Unbelievable romance
    Unlikeable characters
    No Han and co
    No good humor
    Too fast
    Too slow
    Boring
    Littered with plot holes

Well there you have it folks. That's how some people think they saw the worst movie ever made. I was wondering about that.

21. DrEvazan

DrEvazan Jedi Youngling star 4

Jun 19, 2002
    yep... sounds like a mess of a movie to me too.

22. rsterling78

rsterling78 Jedi Knight star 5

May 26, 2002
    The rsterling78 Voight-Kampff movie test:

rsterling78: You're watching a science fiction film and a lightsaber battle breaks out.

moviegoer: I'd yawn.

(needle on machine bounces)

rsterling78: A character in the film jumps out of a hovering speeder. He plummets, narrowly avoiding the racing traffic. And you know what...you don't seem too interested, moviegoer. Why is that?

moviegoer (angrily): What do you mean I'm not interested?!

rsterling78: I'm mean you're not the least bit interested.

(moviegoer looks nervous and uncertain)

rsterling78 (smiling and calm): It just a test, moviegoer. It gauges a person's emotional response to seeing a film. Now, tell me, how did you feel when Mace Windu ignited that lightsaber in front of Jango Fett's throat?

moviegoer: I fell asleep.

rsterling78: Gotcha, skinjob! ("retires" moviegoer)

23. TokyoXtreme

TokyoXtreme Jedi Master star 4

Oct 24, 2001
    eg. 'no porkins, so I can't feel sympathy for the characters'

When weird things like that are said, I will shoot them down... if, for example, you (anybody) think the acting sucks, how can I argue that - you either liked it or ya didn't...

I also mentioned something about how there should be more scenes akin to Obi-Wan checking the fallen Jedi's pulse? Why didn't you respond to that one, Professor? I also notice that you didn't quote me above, but instead incorrectly paraphrased my clearly written opinion.

There are no characters like Porkins, or Red Leader ("just impacted on the surface"), etc. etc. that make me care about the Jedi during the battle. I've seen the movie twice, and I can't remember one scene of human (or alien) drama in which I am treated to a glimpse of a Jedi in defeat. I have a similar problem with the Gungan battle for the same reason. As far as Mace Windu's quote is concerned (regarding how many Jedi Dooku had killed or whatever), I'd rather be shown and not told.

This is not a "weird thing" to be said, but actually an important element of drama. We must feel vicariously for those in battle, if we are to care about their outcome. Even a second or two would do wonders (that's all Lt. Porkins had really).

After reading this far in the thread, I'm beginning to wonder if those who love AOTC can argue or rebut honest criticism without resorting to personal attacks, name-calling, condescending remarks, etc. There are a few AOTC lovers who are completely civil in their discourse, and I appreciate them for that, but they are unfortunately in the minority.

24. TokyoXtreme

TokyoXtreme Jedi Master star 4

Oct 24, 2001
    By the way, criticizing (positive or negative) is not the same as "bashing". I thought this was obvious enough, but I suppose it should be restated. "Bashing" is actually what is done to people after they've express their honest-yet-unpopular opinions on this forum.

"I must have hit her pretty close to the mark to get her riled up like that, huh kid?"

25. jedi-jeff

jedi-jeff Jedi Grand Master star 3

Nov 2, 2000
    After reading this far in the thread, I'm beginning to wonder if those who love AOTC can argue or rebut honest criticism without resorting to personal attacks, name-calling, condescending remarks, etc. There are a few AOTC lovers who are completely civil in their discourse, and I appreciate them for that, but they are unfortunately in the minority.

I have also noticed that some folks who like AOTC have tended to launch personal attacks against critics of the prequels.

However, the prequels critcs have been far worse at launching personal attacks against anyone who does not agree with them.

I personally have no problem with people not liking AOTC (to each his own). Unfortunately several people on this froum clearly hate both of the prequels. I view these folks as bashers and trolls since I do not understand why else they want to come here and talk about a film they hate. They should stick to the OT and ignore the prequels. Even better, they can dicuss the OT films in the OT forum.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.