main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

AOTC boring?

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by JediDugan, Jun 18, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. foxbatkllr

foxbatkllr Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 27, 2001
    Hey Tokyo, go into a sports team forum and tell them their team sucks. See what kind of response you get. I think you'll appreciate how you are treated here afterwards...

2. CPPJedi

CPPJedi Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 15, 2002
    Boring? NO WAY! Some people might say that because they do not understand the power of the force! OK maybe I'm going a little to the extreme here :p It was very good! I think for someone to enjoy it a lot, you have to know some of the background. While others in the theater fell asleep, I would say, "Hey there's Aunt Beru and Uncle Owen!" I was surprised they mentioned that they were boyfriend and girlfriend. I bet no one even noticed that. It really connected with the originals, especially when they mentioned the Death Star. I got chills when I saw it!
    You have to go see it for what it is... A MOVIE! It might not match up completely with the originals but hey, its Star Wars and you gotta love it. GL did A LOT better with this one compared to E1. Lets just how well GL does in E3. Meanwhile, Spoiler Free Til 2003! :D

3. JediDugan

JediDugan Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 3, 2001
    Good Lord, my thread has bloated to seven pages! I've created a monster. :)

Getting things back on track here...

I just think that boring is an odd criticism of the movie. Even if you are a basher. Any other complaint might theoretically have validity (I have yet to hear anyone really back up to my satisfaction any complaint about AOTC).

What I fear is happening here, is the same thing that has happened to TPM. Initial reactions to TPM were great (watch "Fandom Menace" sometime). Then slowly but surely the tide changed and people who liked the movie, or at least thought it was moderately entertaining, began to spew forth their hateful venom. When the VHS came out, as I recall, it got really bad because people were watching it over and over again and complaining (definately some irony there). Oddlly enough, when the DVD came out last October people were excited and making claims like "The DVD makes the movie 1000 times better." Wow, that didn't last long at all. By Christmas we were all hating it again.

By calling AOTC boring, it's like the last criticism you can make about something. It's easy, requires almost no backing up as it's a completely individual complaint. I mean there's no Oscar category for "Least Boring Movie" or "Most Exciting Movie". That would make too much sense. There are Oscar categories for direction, acting, screenplay, etc (where the most of the early complaints were directed).

Does anyone else see what I'm trying to get at, or am I insane?

4. DrEvazan

DrEvazan Jedi Youngling star 4

Jun 19, 2002
    are people only allowed to express opinions if they like something?

talk about boring.

where else would someone go to express how they felt about AOTC? especially a Star Wars fan.

and if you up there think sports team fan sites only have posts that gush on and on about a team you are living in bizarro world.

if you liked AOTC hooray for you! if you didnt, hooray for you as well!

seems like this is the right place to express your opinions, positive or negative.

actually it seems more pointless to have a site where people just go on and on about how good something is... doesnt seem to allow for much thought or debate or discussion.

i like it! i like it too! really? wow i like it also! and me i like that part i liked!

zzzzzzzzzzz

5. DrEvazan

DrEvazan Jedi Youngling star 4

Jun 19, 2002
    well i think by "boring" people mean "it didnt hold the audiences attention"

whats so odd about that?

just because a lot of stuff is happening on screen doesnt make it compelling or interesting to watch. a lot of times it just makes it confusing or overwhelming or muddy. that is the case with AOTC imo.

6. foxbatkllr

foxbatkllr Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 27, 2001
    and if you up there think sports team fan sites only have posts that gush on and on about a team you are living in bizarro world.

Well I post on numerous sports forums all the time and if someone comes in from another team and starts bashing our team we tell them to get the **** out.

I'll tell you what's boring. Coming on here and having to defend the same **** over and over just because some ******* basher gets a kick out of being a pain in the ass. Speculation is fun, defending the movie you love against idiots who seem to think their opinion is the only one that matters is boring.

7. jedi-jeff

jedi-jeff Jedi Grand Master star 3

Nov 2, 2000
    where else would someone go to express how they felt about AOTC? especially a Star Wars fan.

There are many on this forum who do not like parts of the prequels including myself and have civilized discussions. For example, I did not like some of the romance dialogue but I do not attack those folks that have a different view. Unfortunately many prequel bashers will attack people who do not agree with their views.

What I do not understand why people who clearly hate the prequels would even want to discuss them. I find that really bizarre. Besides these bashers/trolls should not expect Episode III to be any better or somehow salvage the prequels; that is just unrealistic. These folks need to give it up and move on.

I also read the EU and I intensely dislike a coouple of EU books such as Black Fleet Crisis, Planet of Twilight, and The Crystal Star. Though I occasionally post in the EU forum, I am not interested in any threads covering those books that I do not like. likewise, I would not be interested in the prequel forums if I hated the prequels as much as some of those that post in this forum.

8. Jungle_Fett

Jungle_Fett Jedi Youngling

Jun 13, 2002
    To the bashers: (what I don't know what they're doing here...)

Eh,and why I should HAVE to agree with you?I have a totally different kind of opinion then yours,nothing you'll said will change my mind and my view of the movie.If you didn't like it,then the problem is yours,I liked it,I enjoyed it,I'm glad to GL decided to finish the story,it's so very more interesting now,then if some of you don't liked,I'm sorry for you guys,I and the others have it.(better for us,don't think?)

We can watch the movies with the eyes what we want,we can just watch them with positive eyes,as we can watch the same movie with negative eyes,it's very probably that we'll have our opinion about the movie based in our predisposition of it,what expect,what don't expect,what you want to see,what don't want see,etc,etc,etc...
    Well,not always,of course,but in this case,about a new chapter of SW saga,it's pretty obvious that the most part of the extreme bashers of the movie are dazzled by a blind conservatism.C'mon people,you till can don't like the movie ,disagree some parts,criticize it,but totally hate it every moment it's just ridiculous!As if the other SW films weren't this way too!I don't know exactly what you so much hate in the prequels,if the past of the trilogy isn't going exaclty as you always been imaginated,if you are just frustated that never will recover your childhood again,or what...

I met SW with ANH,ESB and ROJ,I like them very much,I think they are fantastics,execute theirs objectives very well that is entertain while transmit importants moral lessions to the young people (the majority of the public,as well him at all).But they aren't the best movie made in every category,then why you are requiring that the prequels be?
    I accept and like very well the prequels too,I don't have any problems with it,I understand what GL are wanting transmite and agree with he,the people just have to know that we've must be patience untill can see the final result of this trilogy,we just know 2/3 of it,still lacks the final and most important episode,when all will be resolved and make sense,judging all this trilogy now it isn't a very fair judgement.
    I think you'll just have to relax or understand the prequels to like of it,and don't try making comparissons with all between de prequels with the OT,but they aren different things,different parts of the same whole history,the prequels are the prequels and the OT are the OT,wake up.

I can't see another explanation to a SW fan can hate so much these news SW films.Or they accept that all SW movies has the same formula,envisioned by the same person,telling the same history,and enjoy all the films as well.Or they assume they aren't really SW fans,they are just fans of an idea,what the OT signified to them a long time ago,how wonderful it was,I bet they don't analyze in search of errors the OT as they analyze the PT,they just see what they want.
    Because love so much the OT of SW and hate so much the PT of SW don't make sense,there are just something wrong here...

I don't know what is the advantage to bash the prequels,these don't makes the OT more great for anyone,nor turn the bashers better than the others.It's so much pleasurable watch the films liking of them,understanding them,seen they as if they were just one,with no prejudices,no differences,no different measures in the balance to judge them.I can't find where is the fun,what is so good in bash the movies,yes,because we only find what you want find,you just bash because you want,you can very well watch the movies by the positive side you just don't want to.
    Do you want a sample?Easy,it's just show to you what the critics (that generally like to see the things by the negative side),think about your beloved and perfect OT.There is a brilliant topic in these threads that are about what the critics say about the "perfect" ESB when came out,here: http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=7304365&replies=41

So,I bet you don't agree with the critic's comments,neither I,but their extreme and unfair opinions are just like your opinions

9. FOX1973

FOX1973 Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 20, 2001
    Tokyoextreme- just out of interest, how could I be labelled a 'basher'?
    Did you even read what I wrote? Or did it take longer than the requisite 2 minutes?

Signed,

Basher

10. Christovsky

Christovsky Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 28, 2002
    WARNING: This post is to confront and contradict all those annoying [and infantile] responses to my earlier comments. ANYONE who has posted a negative post towards the basher CHRISTOVSKY, this is for YOU! Especially: Darth Smittius, Jedi-Jeff and Alec Guinness

AAAAARRRRRGGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!

I woke up this morning [looking forward to some constructive criticism] and found that my post had been slammed b/c I didn't accept the 'popular fanboy perspective.' My mom always said that the average human being reads [and writes] on a sixth-grade level -- now I know she's right.

The first week of AOTC release, I was slamming PT lovers like an @$$hole. Now, I have calmed down and began applying my wisdom [and not my emotions]. Nevertheless, I get "You suck" comments, "You don't know" comments and then the name-calling...

PISS, MOAN, and GROAN. ALL I EVER HEAR...
    I'M SURE SOME PEOPLE FELL ASLEEP DURING SPR, WE JUST DON'T KNOW IT BECAUSE THOSE PEOPLE DON'T WASTE THEIR TIME ARGUING IN STUPID THREADS! AHH!

Wow! Great response. FYI -- I AM NOT arguing! You are the one PISSING, GROANING and MOANING. So now I know why that's all you hear...I applied my point and this is what I got; a stupid and pointless insult. Let me tell you, don't talk to me like I am a loser. I am here [on the net] b/c I am now 'on the wagon' and have NOTHING to do. But I am not HATEFUL to you, so don't talk like I have an ignorant basher-mentality. Furthermore, you and me have something in common, we're BOTH wasting our time on the net. It's just...you're the one arguing, not me. I mean, come on! This guy's post was editted. He felt the need to respond sooooo bad that 'expletives' had to be used. Classy...that's why your name is Darth...

NO ONE CARES WHAT YOU THINK ABOUT NON-SW FILMS. WHY DO YOU SPEND TIME TALKING ABOUT...

WHY??!!! Um, duh...let me think...here's why I am talking about non-SW films -- I AM TRYING TO GIVE YOU EXAMPLES OUTSIDE OF STAR WARS!! If I said ESB is better than AOTC because........I wouldn't hear the end of it. But If I used two non-SW movies [like SPR and BHD] that were similar, I think these posters would get the point. So, Jedi-Jack@$$, would you like that comparison better? ESB is better than AOTC b/c it's a better movie (not b/c I "will never like" the PT). It has better direction, photography, acting, editing and story. Read before responding.

I KNOW, WHY DO THESE PEOPLE DO IT? I WISH THEY WOULD STOP!!!

Why should I stop? Is it because you just want to be praised by fellow geeks for liking a cartoon -- or is it because you see how flawwed the PT is and you don't want decent opinions taliking about it. If you can't see what the point of my two posts were, then go watch 'Dragonball-Z' (nevermind, I'm sure you already are) and don't respond [like a child] to a credible post.

All I was trying to do was make some constructive criticism so we could have a good debate -- you saw it as some guy downing YOUR prequels. You disregarded that and responded with 'nit-picking' B.S.

Once again, AAAAARRRRRGGGGGHHHHH!!!!!

I don't have substances, I don't have a life. I am trying to take it day-by-day and I am on the SW Forum so I have something to do. That's why I am here. But I am not 'bashing' the movie; I am telling you why I didn't approve of the EPII. Look, do you want to talk about why we do and don't like SW? Or do you just want to play the role of "I am a gusher and anyone who isn't sucks!" And If you guys DON'T think that, QUIT RESPONDING LIKE THAT AND GIVE ME A CREDIBLE RESPONSE!!!!

This is the FIRST time I ever felt the need to write a long post, and I feel like such a DORK. But, I am very P--SED OFF that all I get is stupid nerd critisicm. So if you PT loving fanboys want to bi--h at Christovsky, I have just given you somehting to bi--h about. ALL I WAS TRYING TO DO WAS PROVIDE A BASIS FOR A FRIENDLY DEBATE -- If I could say F--- YOU, I would! Geez, if you guys love to complain so much, I have just opened the gates for you...bring on all the stupid and whiny comments! I'll check back in an hour.

11. rsterling78

rsterling78 Jedi Knight star 5

May 26, 2002
    Where's the love?

12. Duckman

Duckman Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 21, 2000
    endboss and Dr. Evazan are the two most arrogant and misguided posters I've ever seen. You remind me of me :)
    Anyway, this topic should be closed as it's degenerated into a basher/gusher fest and the simple answer is: no, AOTC is not boring.

Thank you.

P.S. no one gave a damn about Porkins dying in 1977. It's only after many years of rewatching the films that people pay attention to the minor characters. Years from now, people will be weeping over Coleman Trebor's death.
    True story :)

13. DarthNomis

DarthNomis Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 2, 2001
    "Where's the love?"

Where indeed?

14. EwanGuinness

EwanGuinness Jedi Youngling

Jun 14, 2002
    As Gov. Tarkin once said: "This bickering is pointless!"

Look if you don't like the movie, FINE. There's no reason to continue to stir up **** and continue to do so if you do. We get the point OK? You hated the movie, hooray for you!

15. jedi-jeff

Nov 2, 2000
    Chritovsky:

You have not presented any constructive criticism about AOTC. I would enjoy such a discussion.

All I hear is that you think your views our superior to everybody else.

Beisides I find your use of unnecessary profanity rather childish just because people do not see things the same as you.

Yor post sounded like the rants of child who does not get what wants.

16. Christovsky

Jan 28, 2002
    Oh my God! Not another one...this particular post is to imply my earlier posts meaning towards yet another misinformed morom...
    Ewan Guinness, you are just as stupid as the fanboys my long post referred to.

I AM NOT STIRRING UP S--T!! If you think I am stirring s--t, then I have a way to resolve it -- STOP POSTING FALSE [AND B.S.] COMMENTS TOWARDS ME!!

I come on here to give my opinions about the movies [WITHOUT INSULTING ANY FORUM POSTER] and fanboys slam me. My post was to tell you fanboys STOP INSULTING ME!! I AM NOT INSULTING YOU!! I am providing criticism so we can DEBATE, not SLAM EACH OTHER!! My long post was to say STOP SLAMMING ME ABOUT STUPID S--T!! I LOVE EVERYONE until they 'nit-pick' at me b/c I have MY opinions.

HOORAY FOR YOU!!

Shut your mouth, spaceboy! You are just like one of these free-floating gushers who looked at my post and said, "What a loser!" when you should have realized that I am standing up for myself by saying STOP POSTING INNACURATE POSTS TOWARDS ME [like YOU JUST DID, CAPTAIN DIPS--T]. I like the Jedi Forum! SO STOP RESPONDING IN WAYS THAT IMPLY I AM WRONG, AND YOU ARE RIGHT. YOU OBVIOUSLY HAVE NO PERCEPTION!

I POST to start FRIENDLY discussions [or debates]. If I said, "Whoever likes AOTC sucks! And here's why..." then I commend you for posting your harsh comments. "HOORAY FOR YOU?"

Go *beep* yourself, you blind peon!! People LIKE YOU is the reason I POSTED THAT!! You don't like my post, then here's two solutions (1) find a more intelligent [and constructive] way to respond than pointless bickering and (2) STOP BEING SO F--KING RUDE!!!

You people are sadly mistaken...why don't YOU STOP stirring up s--t, Guinness?

17. TokyoXtreme

TokyoXtreme Jedi Master star 4

Oct 24, 2001
    This thread is entitled "AOTC boring?" Therefore, in this thread, I expect people to state their opinion on whether or not AOTC was boring, and then list the reasons why.

I came to this thread, shared my opinion, and listed the reasons why. Therefore I'm a "basher/troll" who is telling George Lucas to his face that Star Wars sucks? Give me a break.

18. endboss

endboss Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 30, 1998
    <<<endboss and Dr. Evazan are the two most arrogant and misguided posters I've ever seen.>>>

Who you callin' misguided?

19. Christovsky

Jan 28, 2002
    NOW I just read Jedi-Jeff's response...

...if you had actually READ my first post, you would see that there was constructive criticism. But, you didn't...

...furthermore, I am NOT acting like, 'My opinion is better than yours.' You just see that b/c it is an opinionated post...my first post was to provide criticism for discussion. When all I got was lame remarks...

...I responded with STOP DEBATING WHEN YOU HAVE NO ARGUMENT!! Don't post to tell me that you think what I said was wrong b/c you think it was -- give me some good arguments, kids! If I am ranting it's b/c EVEN WHEN I DO PROVIDE CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM, I AM TREATED LIKE I AM WRONG!! So I posted to tell you that I didn't like that.

Oh, you want constructive criticism...in my first post I said soemthing like, "The reason why us 'bashers' don't like it is b/c Lucas is a bad story-teller. If he didn't get caught up in animation and fight sequences maybe he would film his movie like good directors do -- by focusing on what the characters are feeling!! He didn't do that b/c he is a half-@$$ filmmaker and he half@$$es everything.

And if you think I am 'a child who doesn't get what he wants', you're right. I don't get what I want -- decent opinions and constructive remarks. You guys b--ched at me, so I b--ched at you!!

20. TokyoXtreme

TokyoXtreme Jedi Master star 4

Oct 24, 2001
    And what's so bad about being arrogant?

P.S. no one gave a damn about Porkins dying in 1977. It's only after many years of rewatching the films that people pay attention to the minor characters. Years from now, people will be weeping over Coleman Trebor's death.

I think you might be missing the point. It's not that I care specifically about Lt. Porkins or Red Leader so much, it's that I care about all the pilots because I saw what a few of them were going through during the battle. Furthermore, I knew what odds the pilots were up against (a handful of fighters against a moon-size space station).

If I saw a few other Jedi exchange a few lines during the battle, or scream out, or do something, then I might have cared or felt for them. But I didn't, so I didn't. Honestly, I never really got the impression that they were in any serious danger. Nor did I really know what they were up against. With everything I'd seen up until then (along with Lucas's own words that a Jedi can cut through a droid like butter), I didn't really worry that the Jedi had their hands full -- no matter how many droids. These guys are magical samurai swordsmen with superhuman abilities, after all.

To further illustrate my point, I felt a little sympathy for some of the clones, because I actually heard some of them speak to the main characters. Overall though, I still thought the battle wasn't so compelling. There was much more suspense during Obi-Wan's confrontation with Jango.

Somebody earlier mentioned Braveheart. I thought that film had a pretty emotional battle. Hah, Army of Darkness had an interesting battle too, and I suppose I worried about those characters too (watch out "you can count on my steel" guy, I might say).

21. Maul_Shopper

Maul_Shopper Jedi Youngling

May 20, 2002
    I loved AOTC tremendously, but there can be some cases made where the film drags. The romantic subplot, for one. It had all the emotional impact of a sneeze. It seems GL doesn't have the sweet talkin' capabilities he'd like to think he does. Other than that, no way was the film dull. Awesome action scenes, good plot flow (Padme and Anakin's puppy lovefest notwithstanding). Boring, hell no. Could it have been tweaked a small bit to not drag, sure. But most of the SW movies have moments like that.

22. EwanGuinness

Jun 14, 2002
    Christovsky: "Ewan Guinness, you are just as stupid as the fanboys my long post referred to."

Thanks for pointing out that my intellectual skills are so incomplete and pathetic. I feel like I have had a breakthrough today and can finally come to grips with the dire fact that I am stupid and can now comfortably accept it!

As for being a total Gusher....Ah, hardly. I have MANY complaints with certain things throughout the entire series and I do not think the sun rises and sets over George Lucas's head.

For one thing I think Lucas made a HUGE mistake when he had Greedo fire first, but that's a total seperate topic isn't it?

I'm not a gusher my friend, I just grow tired of hearing so many individuals slamming Star Wars over and over again. Why even hang out in a Star Wars forum if you are going to continue to slam it?

I don't like The Atlanta Braves. I got a great idea! Perhaps I will join an Atlanta Braves Fan Forum and offer my opinions on the topic!

23. endboss

endboss Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 30, 1998
    <<<I don't like The Atlanta Braves. I got a great idea! Perhaps I will join an Atlanta Braves Fan Forum and offer my opinions on the topic!>>>

But if you run into a Braves fan during a disappointing season, and he tells you he's disappointed in the way they're playing, ask him if he's dumped them completely and has no interest in discussing that disappointing season. Chances are, he'll say no, he's waiting it out, and bitching while he waits.

A lot of 'bashers' are simply disappointed fans, but fans still. If you happen to think they should dump Star Wars completely and take no further interest in it, that's fine, but who really cares what you think? If I have the urge to pop in from time to time and tell you that the film sucks and that I think you suck for gushing over such a mediocre movie, that's what I'll do. Learn to cope and accept that, because that's how it is.

Personally, my interest in Star Wars at this point is so low that you shouldn't expect to be subjected to me too often. But I'm speaking for other disappointed fans who haven't given up on Star wars as much as I have. They're not going anywhere. So cope.

24. EwanGuinness

Jun 14, 2002
    Fair enough Endboss, fair enough. Sorry to hear that you and so many others are so disappointed in Star Wars lately, but you're right you have every right to voice how you feel....

Just pretend the PT never happened I guess and enjoy the OT.

25. jedi-jeff

Nov 2, 2000
    {blockquote]"The reason why us 'bashers' don't like it is b/c Lucas is a bad story-teller. If he didn't get caught up in animation and fight sequences maybe he would film his movie like good directors do -- by focusing on what the characters are feeling!! He didn't do that b/c he is a half-@$$ filmmaker and he half@$$es everything.[/bockquote]

You obviously do not no what contstructive critcism means. You certainly did not provide any in the above statement. Again your use of profanity is infantile and guaranteed to generate the hostile reactions that you obviuosly seek..

If he didn't get caught up in animation and fight sequences maybe he would film his movie like good directors do -- by focusing on what the characters are feeling!!

Apparently you missed the whole confession scene in AOTC. If that did not have any emotion than nothing in any of the SW films had any emotion. In some ways I did not like the fireplace scene because even though it was emotional, it was to much like a soap opera for my tastes. I find the critcism that GL does not focus what the characters are feeling a more valid criticism of TPM than AOTC.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.