main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

AOTC boring?

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by JediDugan, Jun 18, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SCOTSSITHLORD

SCOTSSITHLORD Jedi Master star 2

May 19, 2002
    I must admit to being deeply sceptical about anyone who claims they fell asleep during AOTC. That's not just because I rate it right up there with ESB, but that from my own movie going experience, it simply doesn't happen. The only people I've ever seen dozing off in a cinema are very little children, my two little brothers actually slept through most of ESB, or adults who've imbibed a little too much alcohol, then turned up for the midnight showing.
    Whenever I hear comments about people laughing out loud at the dialogue, walking out after half an hour, or falling asleep half way in, it reminds me of those tales fishermen come up with, where they've always landed Moby Dick's bigger cousin, but darn it there wasn't anybody there to witness it.
    Perhaps we scots are just an unemotional lot, but I've never witnessed any such responses. Methinks talk of people being so disgruntled and disappointed with the movie that they nodded off, are apocryphal and to be taken as literally as Aesop's fables.

2. jedi-jeff

jedi-jeff Jedi Grand Master star 3

Nov 2, 2000
    A lot of 'bashers' are simply disappointed fans, but fans still. If you happen to think they should dump Star Wars completely and take no further interest in it, that's fine, but who really cares what you think? If I have the urge to pop in from time to time and tell you that the film sucks and that I think you suck for gushing over such a mediocre movie, that's what I'll do. Learn to cope and accept that, because that's how it is.

You are a fan of the OT not the PT. I do not see how your profound disapointment would mean that your still not a SW fan.

As I have said before, you could just ignore the prequels and still enjoy the OT.

If I have the urge to pop in from time to time and tell you that the film sucks and that I think you suck for gushing over such a mediocre movie, that's what I'll do.

Thats OK by me, but you will start a flame war with that poor attitude towards others. Unfortunately you will hypocritically whine when others do what you are doing.

3. endboss

endboss Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 30, 1998
    <<<As I have said before, you could just ignore the prequels and still enjoy the OT.>>>

That's pretty much where I'm at. I've only bothered to see AOTC once, and I have very little interest in Episode 3. That doesn't change the fact that I'm a member of these forums and will visit and post whenever I feel like it, for whatever reason.

<<<Thats OK by me, but you will start a flame war with that poor attitude towards others. Unfortunately you will hypocritically whine when others do what you are doing.>>>

You mustn't know me. I never whine when given the opportunity to spar with one of you. I rather enjoy it. You're the type that whines. You're the type that finds yourself so frustrated by criticism that you respond by urging the 'basher' to leave, rather than focusing on shooting down his complaint. "If you don't like it, please leave" is code for "I can't overcome your arguments, so please leave so you no longer ruin my prequel-loving fun."

4. Lurking_Around

Lurking_Around Jedi Knight star 6

May 26, 2002
    Whoa, pretty heated here. And I thought the whole gusher/basher thing ain't allowed in the AOTC forum

:p

5. GriffZ

GriffZ Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 27, 2001
    It isn't. So please stop, or else I'll be forced to dust off the ol' ban button.

6. Darth_SMITTIUS

Darth_SMITTIUS Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 16, 2002
    Hehe, boy did I ever get a reaction! Hey Christovky, I am the one who edited my post, cuz I had overdone it and I'm sorry if I made you feel inferior. I hate this whole basher gusher thing so I am going to shut up about it after this. Sorry to anybody I offended. Lets all do our best to get this thread back on track, i.e. comments, critiques, questions. I'll do my part and keep quiet :)

7. jedi-jeff

Nov 2, 2000
    You're the type that finds yourself so frustrated by criticism that you respond by urging the 'basher' to leave, rather than focusing on shooting down his complaint. "If you don't like it, please leave" is code for "I can't overcome your arguments, so please leave so you no longer ruin my prequel-loving fun."

I have never done this.

I have edited my post because I can't bear to see poor GriffZ suffering over this thread.

8. GriffZ

GriffZ Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 27, 2001
    No, don't PPOR. Just R.

Thank you.

9. unicron5

unicron5 Jedi Grand Master star 3

Mar 19, 2002
    I was bored simply because I didn't care about any of the characters, nor did I even fully find their intentions/actions believable (the love story in particular).

The lightsaber battle at the end and the special effects bore me because it's all "been there done that". ILM doesn't hold a monopoly over digital effects anymore, every blockbuster has digital effects up the wazoo (some IMO more dynamic than the Star Wars prequels), so if you don't have characters you care about, all that extra stuff is just fluff IMO.

And also I find the action scenes to be a bit redundant (another Asteroid chase?), and having the Yoda battle seemed more like a nod to the fanboys rather than really serving the story or the development of the real characters of the story.

I sensed George did really get rattled by the negative feedback on TPM and tried to make up for it by including a lot of obvious
    "bones" to the fans (less Jar Jar, Jango Fett, Yoda fighting, etc.) but I think if he seriously wants to make a better movie hire a competent scriptwriter and maybe even have someone else direct.

Lucas is great at crafting an overall story and characters, but I don't think there's anything wrong in conceeding perhaps the story would be better served if others took over the actual execution of the story.

It certainly didn't hurt Empire Strikes Back or the Indiana Jones movies...Lucas doesn't need to write/direct everything.

10. endboss

Sep 30, 1998
    <<<PPOR>>>

The proof is in this thread, Jeff. You're spending your time trying to convince me to hit the road. Desperately trying to convince me that I should stick to the OT forum. It's none of your business what I do with my time here and should be none of your concern. So I've concluded that since you've taken such an interest in trying to persuade me to leave this place, it's because I upset and frustrate you to the point that you just want me to disappear. My advice: Don't worry about my posts or where I make them.

11. jedi-jeff

Nov 2, 2000
    unicorn5

Thanks for the thoughtful and civilized comments. This thread really needs posts by folks such as yourself.

12. Darth_SMITTIUS

Jun 16, 2002
    There were a lot of fan nods in the movie, I admit, but I believe they also had a significance to the story. For example, the yoda fight may have looked like a fan nod, but I feel that it revealed some character in Yoda. We can see him as not just the crazed old wise sayer, he now becomes the father figure who risks his life to save his flock.

As for the "been there done that" scenes, I can partially agree. A lot of it has been done, but this time its just a little bit different :). Afterall, look how many real life based war movies are coming out now. They all have the same theme and most of them revolve around the same types of battles and characters, but people still enjoy seeing them.

From reading these posts, Star Wars seems to be one of those "you're either in or out" type of things (probably why the line between bashers and gushers is present). I personally cared very much for the characters in the story. I winced when that nameless Jedi tried to attack Jango but was shot and fell to his death. In the end, everything has "been done" before in some form or another, but if you like it then there's no reason not to do it again :)

13. jedi-jeff

Nov 2, 2000
    It's none of your business what I do with my time here and should be none of your concern. So I've concluded that since you've taken such an interest in trying to persuade me to leave this place, it's because I upset and frustrate you to the point that you just want me to disappear. My advice: Don't worry about my posts or where I make them.

You are over sensitive. The only question I have raised to those that hate the prequels is why they want to talk about films they hate? I am curious about their reasons, it should not be interpreted as an attack on their views of the film. Unlike the bashers, I have presented my question in a very civil manner.

BTW, I have always said that it is unrealistic to expect everyone to like a film. If you did not like it, thats fine.

14. endboss

Sep 30, 1998
    As I already explained in this thread, Jeff, the 'bashers' are fans who have been disappointed thus far. Some have given up on Star Wars completely and don't even remember the addy to this place. Others, like me, have very little interest left in Star Wars and only pop in here once or twice a month. The rest have decided to remain active fans, while complaining until things get better. Now you know.

15. jedi-jeff

Nov 2, 2000
    endboss

At least you are honest and have given a better answer than anyone has to this question. I am sorry that I did make a note of your prior comment on this.

16. Darth_SMITTIUS

Jun 16, 2002
    I don't mean to sound condescending, but I feel sorry for the people who don't like the PT. It sounds like they feel that the PT even ruins the OT. Thats sad, but you have the right to feel the way you wish.

Lucas had said somewhere that he didn't think the PT would be as widely accepted as the OT. I think this is because it is so much different. The PT and OT have little in common to the casual viewer, so some interest may have lagged while other interest has gone up (i.e. the next generation of star wars fans being raised on the PT and OT together).

From what I have heard, those who dislike the PT don't like it because it is simply different from the OT. The feel, setting, and subject matter are very different, and that might turn off some SW die hards.

I believe that if the PT had not been called Star Wars then it would have been accepted better. I am a big fan of the OT, but I also love the PT. Its all SW to me :)! You also have to remember that if SW had been released chronologically, the PT would have to be the least interesting part, because it is supposed to build up to the climax in the OT. Once again, I love all SW but wouldn't really consider myself a gusher, I am just interested in seeing the epic story of our time completed. But to everyone else, I wouldn't let the PT ruin the OT, because the OT is classic without a doubt!

17. JohnWilliams00

JohnWilliams00 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 29, 2002
    GriffZ, I never understood why we were never allowed to have an Offical AOTC "Criticism" Thread. Notice I didn't say Bashers, because it would seem too harsh and negative. But just devote one thread for people to vent freely and don't allow gushers to intervene. (And gushers have every right to their opinion, but they shouldn't intervene in the bashers thread or else more flame wars will start all over again.)

I think bashers and gushers would be more glad to see it that way, so we don't cross swords so often. If a gusher doesn't want to read any more criticisms or negative things, they simply don't have to enter the thread.

Notice that the Official TPM "Bashers" Sanctuary is actually running well. Gushers learned to leave it be, and bashers go in there to vent off steam or just hang out.

Just a thought moderators, though I really recommend it and I can't see much wrong in it.

18. endboss

Sep 30, 1998
    Personally, I'd never tiptoe around those who enjoy AOTC and TPM by only posting in threads reserved for 'bashers.' It's laughable to be told "Stay in the hole we made for you and leave us alone." Ain't gonna happen.

19. foxbatkllr

foxbatkllr Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 27, 2001
    GriffZ, I never understood why we were never allowed to have an Offical AOTC "Criticism" Thread

That's up to PadmeBra. And if you get a criticism thread, we get a "no criticism" thread.

20. JohnWilliams00

JohnWilliams00 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 29, 2002
    That's up to PadmeBra. And if you get a criticism thread, we get a "no criticism" thread.

Fair enough, if PadmeBra approves of a "Sancutary" type thread that is.

endboss, I could see how it would seem kind of strange and pathetic, like a "hole" for us to hide in, but I don't think it would be that bad. Imagine a place where we could bash on Natalie's "acting" or any other flaws without the fear of having a follow up post accusing us of wearing "rose-colored glasses" or that we have no right to see Episode III. And what's with these rose-colored glasses anyways? I stomp on rose-colored glasses! 8-}

21. endboss

Sep 30, 1998
    I don't "fear" the follow-ups, bro. You shouldn't either. The responses can be amusing. At times, I can almost feel the heat from their angry, red faces. ;)

22. Luke_Clone

Luke_Clone Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 15, 2002
    "That's pretty much where I'm at. I've only bothered to see AOTC once, and I have very little interest in Episode 3."

I'm not trying to criticize you endboss. I just wanted to say that I didn't like AOTC my first time either but I loved it the second time. I know a few other people personally, and some more people on these forums, who feel the same way. If you give it a second chance you might be pleasantly suprised... then again you have every right to not have to go see a movie again if you didn't like it the first time.

All I'm saying is... give it a second chance man. Heck, I'm sure that even JohnWilliams00 has seen it more than once. :)

23. endboss

Sep 30, 1998
    I played that game with TPM. I went to see it more than once in the hope I'd learn to love it. Didn't work for me. I decided not to do that with Clones. I'll give it another shot on DVD, though.

24. gwaernardel

gwaernardel Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    I agree....we need a basher sanctuary. TPM got one. I didn't hate the movie, but I wish there was somewhere to post negative comments about it without being flamed.

25. Luke_Clone

Luke_Clone Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 15, 2002
    Cool. :) Well I hope you like it better the second time but I can understand your position. Heck, I'll never go back and see Windtalkers again no matter what... that movie gave me another reason to avoid Nicolas Cage like the plague. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.